Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Sad that you think it was just designed to sell crates. All the people who actually play it are having a blast playing the best looking SW game ever made.
Why do they have to up the reward rates after turning off microtransactions(that they were forced to do because it was total trash)? It's because the grind is so heavy because they wanted to entice people to buy crates after they realized how much easier it would be to buy their progression rather than spending hours upon hours unlocking it. Their f***ing progression system was tied into loot boxes. That's exceptionally stupid and I'm thrilled they deservedly got run through the gauntlet for it if for no other reason than it might give pause to other companies who had the same idea.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Why do they have to up the reward rates after turning off microtransactions(that they were forced to do because it was total trash)? It's because the grind is so heavy because they wanted to entice people to buy crates after they realized how much easier it would be to buy their progression rather than spending hours upon hours unlocking it. Their ****ing progression system was tied into loot boxes. That's exceptionally stupid and I'm thrilled they deservedly got run through the gauntlet for it if for no other reason than it might give pause to other companies who had the same idea.
Because it was a horrible design. I don't think anyone will disagree that the loot crate system for it is garbage. That doesn't make it any less of a fun game though. That's what people who aren't actually playing the game do not understand. It's still a really fun game. You were trying to say the entire game was just buying loot boxes. I am telling you (as someone who owns the game and plays with many people online) that's not the case at all. And if you played the game you would know that. There are lots of unlocks and ways to collect scrap and credits to pay for "progression" (star cards) that up your abilities like *gasp* every other First Person Shooter on the market.

Absolutely I am happy they don't have their original loot box system. It was garbage. But even with it the game was still very fun and it was easy to avoid loot boxes because there are many other ways to get unlocks by just playing... again like every other FPS. They definitely shot themselves in the foot with this one but so many of you are being so overly dramatic and haven't even played the game.

I proved a while ago in this thread BEFORE any changes were made to the game, during the trial, when people could still pay real money for loot boxes that it did not take 40 hours to unlock Vader at his original price of 40,000 credits. I unlocked him in about 2 hours of online play. Now? You can unlock him in like half an hour. All those examples people were posting about average credit gain were so bias it was insane. That was if you ONLY played the lowest payout game mode and played terrible. So yeah, if you suck at the game you don't get as good of rewards as quickly as good players... again... like every. single. other. FPS game on the market.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
ive taken down the walkers a few times and got them close a few more. I think increasing the range on the ion/missile launchers would help. sometimes 100m range means you have to push right up into enemy territory when they first spawn. 125-130 metres wouild probably fix it

that being said, taking down the walkers is SUPPOSED to be difficult. they dont want games ending phase 1 half the time. you are basically trying to do enough damage to the walkers to deplete reinforcements for phase 2. my biggest issue is that the attackers always get 50 tickets back, and alot of the time the walkers dont take enough damage for the tickets to deplete my a noticeable amount (or at all). You need to get the walkers to at least 30% to be at all relevant and that doesnt happen enough. the range increase I suggested would help though. you would see a few more hits per game

I’m talking about the placement of the ion rifles (for example). On the both map when you start you’re running a long way just to get to the playing field. Once you’re there you have to go an even longer way to get to the ion rifles, which are ridiculous close to the enemy spawn. By the time you get there the enemy is already entrenched in Its impossible to get them. Add to that there’s no mics so you can’t coordinate attacks.

My buddy and I are enjoying it. Yesterday I melted Yoda's face with my Death Trooper. Good times.

Death Troopers rule. When you’re defending a spot they are awesome to hold in the back and take down incoming attacks.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Of course they did.

Not like it matters at this point. Game's already basically dead since EA can't make even more money off of it

If not for A Way Out coming out i would say that's the last EA game i buy (a lot eaiser since i stopped with NHL after 16), but obviously that game is EA published.

Already killed off pretty much all of my favorite series after they buried Mass Effect in a shallow grave, so what's another series i liked.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
While A Way Out is interesting, I don't think they deserve anything right now. I hope that with the poor sales of Battlefront 2 and hopefully the poor sales (especially, with hopefully, the lack of preorders) of Anthem, that EA good through a major management change or just folds. While I buy and play their hockey game every year, except for 15, I wouldn't feel bad if it meant EA wasn't around anymore.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
I've stayed away from this thread since the backlash started before launch, but came here to say I really like this game. Especially Starfighter Assault.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I've stayed away from this thread since the backlash started before launch, but came here to say I really like this game. Especially Starfighter Assault.
Prepare to be told how you are a terrible person and how horrible the game is from people who haven't actually played the game.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
No, no, you misunderstood. We don't dislike people who enjoy the game. We dislike people who buy multiple copies of the same game and then parade around like they're better than everyone else for no reason at all.

I liked the first game, and i have no problem admitting that. I even enjoyed the second one up until about 30 hours in when it became apparent 75% of the game is meaningless.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Of course they did.

Not like it matters at this point. Game's already basically dead since EA can't make even more money off of it

If not for A Way Out coming out i would say that's the last EA game i buy (a lot eaiser since i stopped with NHL after 16), but obviously that game is EA published.

Already killed off pretty much all of my favorite series after they buried Mass Effect in a shallow grave, so what's another series i liked.
They've already released more content and heroes/villains and I have no problems finding a match even at 3am, but yeah, the game is so dead!

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
No, no, you misunderstood. We don't dislike people who enjoy the game. We dislike people who buy multiple copies of the same game and then parade around like they're better than everyone else for no reason at all.

I liked the first game, and i have no problem admitting that. I even enjoyed the second one up until about 30 hours in when it became apparent 75% of the game is meaningless.
Please look at my quote below and tell me exactly where I am saying I am better than everyone else? I (correctly) predicted that some people here would hate me for buying a second copy and talkd about how great the game looks. Your desire to be agitated by anyone who is enjoying the game or discussing it is unparalleled. As I said already, it was on sale, I had just upgraded my PC and it looks absolutely stunning on PC.
It was worth noting to me and for anyone on the fence about deciding what platform to get it on. So where is this that I am "parading around" acting like I am better than everyone for owning multiple copies of the game? Please... give examples and quotes of me saying such things. I will wait.
Just bought this game again for PC on Origin since it was on sale. So now I have two copies. Its absolutely beautiful on PC!!!

Pretty sure you all think I am the spawn of satan now that I have bought this game twice. :laugh:

I already proved you wrong with the size of the playerbase of both BF games right now and I have no issues proving you wrong again here. As people who actually play the game know and are experiencing - the game is lots of fun and lots of people are playing it at all hours of the day. That must make you so mad.

The game was the MOST downloaded software on the PS store in Europe in December. That makes it the #1 holiday game in Europe on Playstation for sales. In the US it was the third most downloaded software in December. This is all well after the loot box contraversy You can keep telling yourself nobody is playing this game to make yourself feel better but the fact of the matter is the game is owned by LOTS of people and lots of people are having fun with it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They've already released more content and heroes/villains and I have no problems finding a match even at 3am, but yeah, the game is so dead!
Haters going to just keep on hating. They have an agenda and they get off on trying to be a d**k to everyone on an internet forum it seems. They are super bothered that people are enjoying this game that the rest of the internet told them to hate because its the trendy thing to do right now.

New patch = Nerf City
Havenet booted it up in a few days. What got nerfed?
EDIT: Nevermind, read some patch notes. Those are some good updates I think.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Played yesterday with the new patch and things seem to be evening out across the board. The emperor and Chewy are a pain in the ass but they always were. It’s a lot more fun to play now.

Now if they can do something about the load times...

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Played several rounds last night and kept getting destroyed by a fellow with fully pimped out Heros. Clearly he earned all that legiitmately, right?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Played several rounds last night and kept getting destroyed by a fellow with fully pimped out Heros. Clearly he earned all that legiitmately, right?

Yes, which is probably better than paying for it. However, it's still a major problem with the star card system IMO.

Having the top tier star cards and going against players without them means you have a massive advantage, in addition to likely more experience over the newer or more casual crowd.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Game has been out for a quite a while now. I have friends who are "fully pimped out" and I know they are legit. It just takes time and they play all the time.

Its becoming more common to run into people who have obviously spent much more time with the game than I have. I almost cannot play Galactic anymore. I tend to get sniped so quickly or just plowed through. I don't seem to have a problem in Blast or Hero's vs Villains though.

I will be interested to see what their re-vamped progression system will look like.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yes, which is probably better than paying for it. However, it's still a major problem with the star card system IMO.

Having the top tier star cards and going against players without them means you have a massive advantage, in addition to likely more experience over the newer or more casual crowd.
What sucks is other games do this too. I mean you unlock new / better weapons and perks. The problem is the amount of benefit you get I think. Especially since you can have 3 cards and level up ALL of them. Where as things like CoD you have a certain amount of points you can spend and each perk / upgrade costs a certain amount. More devastating of a perk the more points it costs to equip. So you could have a really fantastic scope on your newly unlocked rifle but you wont have as good of killstreak rewards or something else.

With SW BFII you are only limited by the number of cards you can carry. After that, go nuts and make them as powerful as you can. No limits. It would be much better if you could have one card be fully upgraded, one card be half upgraded and one card be one slot upgraded or just have a base stat. Take away manually upgrading any of them and just unlock the cards. Put one card in each of the 3 slots and call it good.

I personally hate how complex stuff gets now-a-days like gameing companies think people want to spend hours customizing and upgrading. One of the reasons I love games like Overwatch, Titanfall and Rainbow Six Siege. I mean any unlock in Overwatch is completely cosmetic. Titanfall? You can unlock new weapons and perks but they are all fairly equal and just give you different play-styles really. R6:S you can add scopes, silencers and a few other attachments to the one or two guns given to you for each guy/gal. So simple.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
What sucks is other games do this too. I mean you unlock new / better weapons and perks. The problem is the amount of benefit you get I think. Especially since you can have 3 cards and level up ALL of them. Where as things like CoD you have a certain amount of points you can spend and each perk / upgrade costs a certain amount. More devastating of a perk the more points it costs to equip. So you could have a really fantastic scope on your newly unlocked rifle but you wont have as good of killstreak rewards or something else.

With SW BFII you are only limited by the number of cards you can carry. After that, go nuts and make them as powerful as you can. No limits. It would be much better if you could have one card be fully upgraded, one card be half upgraded and one card be one slot upgraded or just have a base stat. Take away manually upgrading any of them and just unlock the cards. Put one card in each of the 3 slots and call it good.

I personally hate how complex stuff gets now-a-days like gameing companies think people want to spend hours customizing and upgrading. One of the reasons I love games like Overwatch, Titanfall and Rainbow Six Siege. I mean any unlock in Overwatch is completely cosmetic. Titanfall? You can unlock new weapons and perks but they are all fairly equal and just give you different play-styles really. R6:S you can add scopes, silencers and a few other attachments to the one or two guns given to you for each guy/gal. So simple.

Yeah, I agree.

Progression is a key component of online shooters but so is balance. Battlefront II has a massive balance problem inherent to the very design of the star card system.

My biggest problem with the game right now personally is that I play casually, and it seems like a game that is best suited for a casual audience....except the progression is distinctly anti-casual as the top teir cards put you head and shoulders above people with lower tier cards.

If they had kept the cards to simply different or modified abilities (swap turret for shield, etc.) instead of objective advantages (grenade does more damage, etc.) then I think this would have been a far better game. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Lancer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->