Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17)

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Honestly if there's no galactic conquest single player mode I don't really care.

following up on this:

Apparently Galactic Conquest IS included (renamed Planetary Engagements mode).

I'll wait for more details to make sure they're actually giving us Galactic Conquest, but thats promising at least.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I was really disappointed with the last one.

However, they seem to have addressed a lot of the concerns - at least on paper.

Curse you EA! Always drawing me back in when I should know better by now. :laugh:

I'll give it the good ol' Origin Access trial...

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Looks like they've done away with the hero pick up feature they had in the first one.

Not sure how they're going to determine who gets to play as a hero, but I'm glad they got rid of that aspect.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looks like they've done away with the hero pick up feature they had in the first one.

Not sure how they're going to determine who gets to play as a hero, but I'm glad they got rid of that aspect.

They also need to make sure you can't cheese indefinitely with the heroes that end up in the game. I don't want to see broken **** like Bossk again.

Heroes should be a reward for team score. Vehicles, if they aren't going to spawn/sit on the map BF4 style, should be the same.

40 player limit should be bumped up.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Can't they just remake the original battlefront II with updated graphics/gameplay mechanics. I would throw cash at that so quickly.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Sigh.

I'm quite hyped for this, but fully expecting to be disappointed.

Can't they just remake the original battlefront II with updated graphics/gameplay mechanics. I would throw cash at that so quickly.

Yeah, I actually played it a couple of months ago, and it's still quite fun.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Did not buy the first one even when it was around $10.

Glad they are listening and I will be checking it out around release time to see if it is worth getting. I like DICE but ugh being a part of EA.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
This video just came out before the live stream:

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/10/15774988/star-wars-battlefront-2-leaked-footage-ea-e3

Haven't watched the full thing, but definitely like the changes that they've made. Unless they really screw it up, it already looks to be better than the flop of the first one. Looks like tons more depth and variety to soldier customization as well a credits system to purchase hero's and more powerful characters (super battle droids, droidekas, etc). Also like that hero's aren't these god mode characters that just fly around the map killing an entire team. Looks like you have to use your brain to survive.

One thing I can't get used is seeing cross trilogy heros battle each other. Was weird seeing Rey and Han Solo fight along a bunch of clones against droids and Darth Maul. Hopefully they'll have some servers that stay closer to the movies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It looks much improved but at the same time, the UI took a step backwards and it looks like the maps are once again made to look good over good gameplay. I'll wait for a beta.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
just watched the stream. looks like the game I wanted to begin with.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Much better highlight reel than what they showed at the EA conference. Looks like the Battlefront game people wanted the first time around.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
There's just too much chaos in that palace from most of the footage I've seen.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's just too much chaos in that palace from most of the footage I've seen.

The maps in Battlefront 1 played like absolutely ****. They were fun to look at and made for great screenshots but they were collectively some of the worst maps DICE has ever put out gameplay wise.

All the footage I've seen so far does not inspire confidence that they've fixed the maps aka one of the biggest flaws with the first game. Nobody likes getting spawn camped or having to fight over one doorway.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
The maps in Battlefront 1 played like absolutely ****. They were fun to look at and made for great screenshots but they were collectively some of the worst maps DICE has ever put out gameplay wise.

All the footage I've seen so far does not inspire confidence that they've fixed the maps aka one of the biggest flaws with the first game. Nobody likes getting spawn camped or having to fight over one doorway.

It's going to suck if they spend all this time fixing other aspects of the game, only for it to fall back on the same major map issues that really hurt the last one.

Is there like a separate, inept team working on Battlefront map designs at DICE? They've made some really fun maps in other Battlefield games, but it really seems like they're struggling to get it right with the Star Wars franchise.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Using the voice actors from Clone Wars/Rebels is a nice touch.

Combat still seems very dependent on gear/unlockables. That was one of the things I strongly disliked about the last one.

My interest will live and die based on how good the ship piloting is.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

I personally enjoy fighting over one doorway at times. Sometimes entire battles were fought over one or two spots in Battlefront 1 (the original) and it was awesome. Feels so intense when there's 40 soldiers shooting at each other and it's just chaos.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I personally enjoy fighting over one doorway at times. Sometimes entire battles were fought over one or two spots in Battlefront 1 (the original) and it was awesome. Feels so intense when there's 40 soldiers shooting at each other and it's just chaos.

It just devolves into explosive spam. Choke points are fine, if they're done well. They give the feel of a front line in a battle. But what you're talking about is 64 player metro. I'm just not a fan.

You could easily spawncamp on maps like Hoth. This was evident in the beta and they did nothing to fix it. That sort of thing really, really chaps my ass as a gamer. I'd rather have less content if it means the devs actually combed over that content and polished it so that it plays well.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
It just devolves into explosive spam. Choke points are fine, if they're done well. They give the feel of a front line in a battle. But what you're talking about is 64 player metro. I'm just not a fan.

You could easily spawncamp on maps like Hoth. This was evident in the beta and they did nothing to fix it. That sort of thing really, really chaps my ass as a gamer. I'd rather have less content if it means the devs actually combed over that content and polished it so that it plays well.

I'm in the same boat.

Already stated it in another thread, but I'm perfectly fine with them skipping over a single player mode in favor of a more polished online experience. Leave the single player to the studios that do well with it, or at least to titles where it is the main focus. Don't throw in a lackluster single player experience (not holding my breath that it will be anything special) for the sake of more content.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Already stated it in another thread, but I'm perfectly fine with them skipping over a single player mode in favor of a more polished online experience. Leave the single player to the studios that do well with it, or at least to titles where it is the main focus. Don't throw in a lackluster single player experience (not holding my breath that it will be anything special) for the sake of more content.

SP is being handled by ancillary studios and is being partly written by the guy who did Spec Ops:The Line. It might be more than a throwaway effort this time.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The single player is why I'm going to buy this game

Agreed.

The single player is interesting enough to me to justify getting this game.

I don't have high hopes for the multiplayer after the first (modern) Battlefront, but I could be pleasantly surprised I guess.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

I don't think so. It often becomes who can hold the base for just a second long enough for reinforcements to respawn on it, which often means you're jumping around avoiding ten enemies' fire for those last few seconds. Battlefront will always have a special place in my heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad