GDT: Stanley Cup Playoffs

How many goals does Calgary win by? (since every pundit has them to win already)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
The whole impression I got that first period, and this whole series is watching the AVs be George Foreman ineffectively punching themselves out against Muhammad Ali in Africa. Ignore the comparisons in terms of greatness, Flames are not that, but they look it relative to where the AV's are.

All the Flames really have to do is prevent goals in first period. Mackinnon looked like an idiot on that whole sequence. Does he not realize he can't hold that pace? That he's playing too many minutes and he won't be doing as much of that as the game goes on?
Wanna take any of that back?

Calgary was seriously outplayed tonight.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sounds odd, but I think Calgary might just have needed this one more than Colorado. They're in big trouble if the Avs actually start scoring on these chances. The Flames looked slow tonight.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wanna take any of that back?

Calgary was seriously outplayed tonight.

I thought other than the OT goal the Flames were taking control of the game in OT. The AV's were looking spent at that point with Mackinnon playing 27mins. For comparison Gaudreau only played 18 and had ridiculous jump in the OT. Monahan only played 18mins.

The AV;s are seriously going to the well with their top line and players. Flames are 1-1 and resting their star players.

Unfortunately as the series progresses depth, and being able to roll lines will be more of a factor.

just checked. sog were 7-1 Flames in OT until the Mackinnon goal.

Reactions: avsfan09

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
All of a sudden.. lady momentum is on Colorado's side. Gaudreau and Monahan pretty much invisible in tough playoff hockey
Gaudreau is always a ghost out there and Monahan is 100% reliant on him. Every once in a while you'll notice him on the PP or if he gets the puck and has space, but he loses every puck battle and is completely ineffective if you don't give him time and space. I think Colorado could play him even more aggressively than they have and he would be even more invisible.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought other than the OT goal the Flames were taking control of the game in OT. The AV's were looking spent at that point with Mackinnon playing 27mins. For comparison Gaudreau only played 18 and had ridiculous jump in the OT. Monahan only played 18mins.

The AV;s are seriously going to the well with their top line and players. Flames are 1-1 and resting their star players.

Unfortunately as the series progresses depth, and being able to roll lines will be more of a factor.
Don't underestimate the addition of Makar. I predict he will look as good as McAvoy did 2 years ago when the Bruins added him for the playoffs. Makar is an absolute stud and one hell of a skater. His speed on the back end will be a nice counter to Calgary's top guys.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

Avs owned them all game. You can shove your narrative

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
You guys are all gold, great read thanks for cheering for the Flames demise.

It really is remarkable how similar the Oiler and Avs are. One big difference is the Avs have a terrific goalie in Grubauer and the Oilers have a guy that uses a skillet for a catching glove.

If the Avs can get their shots sighted in and their powerplay going, they will win this series. 3-on-3 OT can't save Calgary now. Tonight proved it.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Gaudreau is always a ghost out there and Monahan is 100% reliant on him. Every once in a while you'll notice him on the PP or if he gets the puck and has space, but he loses every puck battle and is completely ineffective if you don't give him time and space. I think Colorado could play him even more aggressively than they have and he would be even more invisible.

I noticed him down near the Avs blue line when the puck was 160 feet away in the opposite direction.

When Anaheim swept them, I remember them hammering both of them every chance they got. It got to the point by games 3 and 4, Johnny Shrimpo was blindly throwing the puck away every tim ehe got it because he was scared he was going to get drilled. The Avs coaching staff needs to show them some game tape of that series.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It really is remarkable how similar the Oiler and Avs are. One big difference is the Avs have a terrific goalie in Grubauer and the Oilers have a guy that uses a skillet for a catching glove.

If the Avs can get their shots sighted in and their powerplay going, they will win this series. 3-on-3 OT can't save Calgary now. Tonight proved it.

Another big difference is a highly offensive dman like Tyson Barrie..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad