GDT: Stanley Cup Final - Game 5 - Nashville @ Pittsburgh - 6/8/17 @ 7:00 - Series Tied 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackBurtonPreds

May 23, 2017
Alabama
Well, the sad part is we just pissed away any momentum we gained in Nashville, Especially Rinne with his awesome game 4. We'll need a total regroup for game 6, we weren't skating or hitting tonight.

The glass half empty side worries that we can't play with them when they turn on the jets. The other side hopes this is just an aberration and we bounce back with a vengeance. (And to be fair this is the first time they've played this badly during the playoffs)

If we go to a game 7 maybe we can hypnotize the team into thinking all the yellow in the stands is Nashville fans.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well, the sad part is we just pissed away any momentum we gained in Nashville, Especially Rinne with his awesome game 4. We'll need a total regroup for game 6, we weren't skating or hitting tonight.

The glass half empty side worries that we can't play with them when they turn on the jets. The other side hopes this is just an aberration and we bounce back with a vengeance. (And to be fair this is the first time they've played this badly during the playoffs)

If we go to a game 7 maybe we can hypnotize the team into thinking all the yellow in the stands is Nashville fans.

I know. This team needs to start believing in themselves or at least have the determination that I'm not leaving w/o a win or at least die trying. I can deal w/ losing but when I know that the effort wasn't there or I know that they weren't playing to their capabilities or how we know they can play that is when I get disappointed w/ the team. They are so much better then how they played tonight. W/ that said still time to regroup and win two more games, which they are more than capable of doing if they will just go do it and play like we know they can play. The way Rinne and our other players battled on our home ice to keep the puck out of our net is the battle I like to see from Rinne and our team in front of him on their/Penguins ice. You shouldn't have to always rely on your crowds energy to get you going or to play like that at home but not on the opponent's ice especially when it comes to the Stanley cup. That right there should be enough motivation or at least trying to win it for your teammates that you have battled w/ this whole playoffs series to get here. Guys didn't do the little things or pay attention to the details and it ended up costing them.

Last edited:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Not worried. Blowouts happen. Maybe 0-6 is better motivation than 0-1, we'll see. Win at home, and it's on. Go Preds Go !!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree. The problem is that the home team has dominated in this series, which does not bode well for the Preds.

True, but since the next home game is in Nashville, that's all we can worry about. One game at a time and then ... anything can happen. Fingers crossed.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Also as a side note. I've seen multiple posts in the main boards (reported them too) using comments about Nashville fans such as toothless and inbred. But we're the classless fanbase​ for saying "sucks".

You've got to be kidding. I hope they were removed and those who made them, dealt with.

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
Is Sissons automatically out of Game 6?

If Sissons is out and Crosby is in, i might seriously lose my ****.

Not sure if intentionally throwing a water bottle on the ice (and there is no doubt upon seeing the replay that's what he did) is suspension worthy by the league but that, combined with the head banging to Subban (obviously very easily construed as retaliatory to the post game banter that Subban had initiated) should be suspension worthy.

That being said, I fully expect to lose my ****!

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What the hell happened tonight? We get Rinne'd again or did we just not show up? Guess baby was actually telling me earlier "don't worry about the game daddy, I know what happens and you won't like it." Time to kick their ***** at home again and see if we can get up for a road game 7.

And if we come up empty in game 6 at least the bandwagon misses out on seeing the clinching game in person again.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If Sissons is out and Crosby is in, i might seriously lose my ****.

Not sure if intentionally throwing a water bottle on the ice (and there is no doubt upon seeing the replay that's what he did) is suspension worthy by the league but that, combined with the head banging to Subban (obviously very easily construed as retaliatory to the post game banter that Subban had initiated) should be suspension worthy.

That being said, I fully expect to lose my ****!
Sid's a rat, but a star one, and will never get punished for his actions. Wouldn't hold my breath. Also wouldn't waste it complaining about it either though, it's just the way it is.

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
Sid's a rat, but a star one, and will never get punished for his actions. Wouldn't hold my breath. Also wouldn't waste it complaining about it either though, it's just the way it is.

Oh I know. I'd be shocked if this isn't completely buried by the media and NHL. Certainty easy to do when you have a 6-0 beatdown to cover. I know better than to hold my breath but it doesn't mean it's not worth addressing.

Tempfan99

Apr 16, 2017
Montreal
Ive been defending sid since his nhl debut couldnt understand the hate. I gotta say i lost some respect for this guy. And i never once in my life talk about refs cause their mistakes are just part of the game but that was freakin ridiculous. Would have still lost but thats a disgrace.

And i dont care what u say, like subban i think playoff momentum between games doesnt exist. We've seen everything happen. The only reason preds are in trouble is that the probabilities are against them cause they'll have to win 2 in a row. Pens can just as much win in nashville than preds win in pittsburgh. We'll just have to pull off a 25%. Luck and bounces are a big part of it.

Lets do it!

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Kind of funny how people tend see certain things and ignore others. Game 1, maybe game 2, there was a sequence were Crosby was down on the ice along the boards with P.K on top of him. Showed it clear as day, P.K punching him in the head 2 or 3 times. Think I'm wrong? I'm sure you can find it somewhere seeing as how they showed the replay on t.v a number of times. Funny how no one said a word about that. PK shouldn't be doing that crap and neither should Sid.

Regardless of the merit of your post, coming on our forum to post in the wake of that game is unlikely to be viewed favorably or taken in any spirit of friendliness or constructiveness. Thank you and goodbye.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Been watching NHL since late 60's and the display like tonight from Crosby is why I am starting to hate the sport . There is 0 accountability from the Refs the league allows them game in game out to be utter incompetent . The bias shown to some players is cringe worthy . The NHL used to be entertaining now I just find it aggravating

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Kind of funny how people tend see certain things and ignore others. Game 1, maybe game 2, there was a sequence were Crosby was down on the ice along the boards with P.K on top of him. Showed it clear as day, P.K punching him in the head 2 or 3 times. Think I'm wrong? I'm sure you can find it somewhere seeing as how they showed the replay on t.v a number of times. Funny how no one said a word about that. PK shouldn't be doing that crap and neither should Sid.

There is a big difference in a guy laying on top of you, and you slamming someone's head into the ice repeatedly. One is annoying and should be a penalty for holding, the other should get you suspended for 20-30 games min.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habitat

Mar 8, 2010
Winnipeg
As a vancouver fan cheering for the preds this year. Believe me when I say it, this series is not over. Learned that all to well from 2011. You guys still got this

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We were badly outplayed. Looked like we had no business being in the same league as those guys. This of course means we will come out and win game 6 because nothing makes any sense at all in hockey.

For me the Crosby stuff was possibly more long term disappointing than the loss. Seeing a player get away with that stuff just takes away from the entire experience.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
You guys will take game 6. Ottawa got wupped bad game 5 in their series vs Pitt and came back with their best game of the playoffs at home, I expect nothing less from the Preds. Hopefully you guys can finish game 7 better than we did and get Fisher that cup :yo:

JackBurtonPreds

May 23, 2017
Alabama
I'm not sure what pisses me off more about the Crosby/Subban incident, the fact that the ref let it happen with no action or that nobody laid a finger on Crosby the rest of the game. That might be the play that defines are mindset the most last night. Complete crap show.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
So after thinking about this game and trying to make sense of it and how bad we really looked overall I have come to consider this.

Goal 1: Soft goal given up by Rinne. Can't put the Pens on the power play as often as we have though and think you can continue to shut them down over and over.

Goal 2: Came on the 4 on 4 that should have been a power play for us and Crosby decided to bang Subban's head into the ice over and over.

Goal 3: We should have had another power play but instead the Ref's decide to ignore a bottle being thrown onto the ice. I can honestly say in all the games I have watched over the year I have never seen a player so that. I have seen player stick their hand out or their stick and play a puck before and even that is super rare. But throwing something on the ice....I just can't believe they didn't call anything there. Maybe they were as shocked as I was when it happened.

I know I'm not a professional sports player and have never been one but I would find it really hard to think we had a chance in this game at this point. Then you lose one of your top 4 d-men as well.

If you take away the score in the first it was far more even of play than I realized. There is no questions the Pens came to play and took it to us at the start but even with all the crap that went on in the first we pushed back hard at times.

Back home for 6 and hopefully we can pull it out and make this a one came series. If the ref's can keep from being biased we may have a chance.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I'll post what I put in the main board series thread here as well. Didn't want to post til I collected my thoughts, pretty heated last night.

The Penguins were the better team start to finish last night. They absolutely deserve the win and the Predators have no one to blame for the loss other than themselves. I don't know how you come out that flat in the biggest game in franchise history.

Having said that, I am absolutely bewildered by how the referees blew two calls (Crosby repeatedly pushing PKs head against the ice and Crosby throwing the water bottle) so horribly. PK absolutely held Crosby, that should have been two minutes. Crosby dragged him down, sat on him, and repeatedly banged his head against the ice and got...two minutes. Others have said it, but I am scared to think what the reaction would have been if the roles would have been reversed. I guarantee Milbury wouldn't have said he "had it coming". The rulebook states that even an accidental throw of anything on the ice is an automatic two and ten. Just a blown call, plain an simple.

I don't believe in some grand conspiracy against the Predators, I think the refs just missed these two calls horribly. I do believe Crosby (and many other stars) receive favorable calls though, and I hope the refs see their mistakes and fix it for Game 6.

Again, the refs aren't to blame for the loss. We have to figure out what happened and fix it. But those two calls are inexcusable in every way.

Grandma Bingo

May 14, 2013
So after thinking about this game and trying to make sense of it and how bad we really looked overall I have come to consider this.

Goal 1: Soft goal given up by Rinne. Can't put the Pens on the power play as often as we have though and think you can continue to shut them down over and over.

Goal 2: Came on the 4 on 4 that should have been a power play for us and Crosby decided to bang Subban's head into the ice over and over.

Goal 3: We should have had another power play but instead the Ref's decide to ignore a bottle being thrown onto the ice. I can honestly say in all the games I have watched over the year I have never seen a player so that. I have seen player stick their hand out or their stick and play a puck before and even that is super rare. But throwing something on the ice....I just can't believe they didn't call anything there. Maybe they were as shocked as I was when it happened.

I know I'm not a professional sports player and have never been one but I would find it really hard to think we had a chance in this game at this point. Then you lose one of your top 4 d-men as well.

If you take away the score in the first it was far more even of play than I realized. There is no questions the Pens came to play and took it to us at the start but even with all the crap that went on in the first we pushed back hard at times.

Back home for 6 and hopefully we can pull it out and make this a one came series. If the ref's can keep from being biased we may have a chance.

Very inaccurate post.

The 2nd goal was a 5-on-5 backhander by Bryan Rust on a feed from Kunitz. It was the 3rd goal that was the 4-on-4.

The water bottle incident happened in the middle of the 2nd period when the score was 4-0. So it was the 5th goal that you're talking about, not the 3rd.

Ellis left the game after the score was 6-0, late in the 3rd period.

So to recap:

- It was already 2-0 before the 4-on-4 goal.
- It was already 4-0 before the water bottle.
- It was already 6-0 before the Ellis injury.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Oh, forgot to mention, that first goal is 98% on Rinne and 2% on the refs for the phantom call on Ellis. I've been a defender of Rinne in this series but that was a really bad goal to give up.

Basher

My "prediction" was that the winner of game 5 would win the whole thing. I hope I'm wrong (and honestly, if I predicted that, it's likely that it will actually turn out the other way).

But it isn't the position I wanted to be in, that's for sure.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
please don't leave this thread open for two more days. We need to forget it and move on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad