Prospect Info: Stanislav Galiev

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I was most impressed with his skating. It is no doubt of NHL quality. Looks like the hands are as well. Could perhaps challenge for a regular roster spot next year depending what happens in free agency. Good start for the kid.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Call him "Stash". When Pierre talked to the kid on BOS that played juniors with Galiev thats what he called Galiev. Nice hockey nickname.

His nickname was actually Staz

Must've been Torey Krug who played with him in Indiana when Stan was 16.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
His nickname was actually Staz

And no one on the Bruins played with or against him in juniors (unless you count Zack Phillips who plays for their AHL affiliate).

I think the confusion is that Pierre mentioned that he played with Krug on the Indiana Ice Chips. That's a development program, not the minors.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
the reason is ovechkin. the caps don't use a 2nd unit really and when they do 8 stays out. playing Ov's spot on the power play is a good way to not get any pp time.

right now the caps have green in ov's spot on the 2nd unit and he does not play.

One thing that could make a deadly powerplay even harder to guard would be to let Ov have his one time spot on the left point and have Galiev play the left half wall to create a double one-timer.

Right now, the easiest way to stop the Washington PP is to cheat to the sniper, but if he has a one-time setup available to him, that might make it even harder to stop.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My last recollection of Galiev was looking good in a preseason game. Been so long I was wondering how his speed would look and was happy to see he didn't look slow out there and show niced flashes. Always great to see a capitals prospect turn it around after falling off the radar.

As someone mentioned earlier about seeing him more as a trade piece I can see the logic behind that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
One thing that could make a deadly powerplay even harder to guard would be to let Ov have his one time spot on the left point and have Galiev play the left half wall to create a double one-timer.

Right now, the easiest way to stop the Washington PP is to cheat to the sniper, but if he has a one-time setup available to him, that might make it even harder to stop.

The PP is not deadly now? It is #1 ranked and Ov is #1 in ppg's. teams regularly shadow Ov and the Caps play 4 on 3 and score with the other players. it doesn't work.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I still view him as organizational depth at this point. I'd be very hard pressed to pencil him into any regular roster spots. Despite the upcoming roster turnover, Washington should be gunning to advance in the playoffs. They simply can't afford to have that many unproven assets on the roster to slot in all of Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Latta, Wilson, and Galiev simultaneously into the forward corp. You need young/cheap players to step up in a salary cap sport, but trying to get cup worthy contributions from five of them at the same time is a pipe dream.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Hey what are your guys thoughts on Galiev he looked impressive when I watched the Capitals and more suited to a top 6 role but stuck behind Washington sick depth.

Hivemind said you guys would let him go for a 4th rounder.

Is the potential there? He looks super talented or are my eyes deceiving me?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He's talented enough....he'll never get more than limited ice time here. He needs to be moved like Perreault to a team who will give him a steady chance to play.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He's talented enough....he'll never get more than limited ice time here. He needs to be moved like Perreault to a team who will give him a steady chance to play.

He hasn't shown anything near what Perreault had shown before he was traded. Perreault was a instant spark plug, even if he couldn't maintain. He was always noticed on the ice, and would provide short bursts of scoring. Galiev has, well, done nothing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He hasn't shown anything near what Perreault had shown before he was traded. Perreault was a instant spark plug, even if he couldn't maintain. He was always noticed on the ice, and would provide short bursts of scoring. Galiev has, well, done nothing.

He hasn't had anything near the opportunities MP85 had, but you know that. Perreault had more AHL time to develop and more NHL time to play. Caps seem to have a little faith to keep him on a deep roster.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He hasn't had anything near the opportunities MP85 had, but you know that. Perreault had more AHL time to develop and more NHL time to play. Caps seem to have a little faith to keep him on a deep roster.

Galiev is already 24. At age 24, Perreault already had 53 NHL points. Galiev has 4. He has nobody but himself to blame for his lack of AHL development time, as he couldn't hold down an AHL roster spot for two years. And even in his one semi-successful AHL year, a lot of Galiev's production came because he was playing the Alexander Ovechkin spot on the powerplay.

More to the point, Perreault immediately showed he had NHL talent and immediately provided sparks when he was inserted into the lineup. He had two assists in his first NHL game, and 6 points in his first 8GP. He was up and down after that, but he kept showing flashes of his NHL potential. So far Galiev simply has not. The best one can say for Galiev is that he doesn't look completely out of place. But nor has he done anything particularly noteworthy, on or off the scoreboard.

Galiev is the same age as Kuznetsov (actually Galiev is a few months older). He's only one year younger than Johansson. His NHL resume is no more impressive than fellow 2010 draftee and new Hershey Bear Christian Thomas. There's no more reason to think Galiev can find the next step and have his game translate to the NHL than Joey Hishon.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It's kind of a moot point really, but saying that Galiev himself was to blame for lack of AHL development time isn't necessarily true. You could also say that the lack of confidence/trust that French and Haviland had shown toward a rookie/young player didn't help and they didn't coach toward his strength. Giving a guy 4th line minutes with a bunch of AHL bangers isn't helping develop Galiev and isn't exactly putting him in a position to succeed. On top of that, Galiev also ended his 2nd pro season early with a season ending injury on a very avoidable and bad hit from his former Reading teammate Adam Comrie.

Galiev finally found success with Troy Mann and should have been cast through waivers last year to develop further with Troy. Guys like Travis Boyd, Riley Barber, Madison Bowey etc. have made significant developmental strides since Mann and his staff have taken over. They came in with a plan to ease them into their roles and provided the confidence and coaching they deserved. I bet Stan's development has a completely different story if he had spent more than one season under Mann instead of French/Haviland.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks for the write ups will be following this player this season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Galiev is already 24. At age 24, Perreault already had 53 NHL points. Galiev has 4. He has nobody but himself to blame for his lack of AHL development time, as he couldn't hold down an AHL roster spot for two years. And even in his one semi-successful AHL year, a lot of Galiev's production came because he was playing the Alexander Ovechkin spot on the powerplay.

More to the point, Perreault immediately showed he had NHL talent and immediately provided sparks when he was inserted into the lineup. He had two assists in his first NHL game, and 6 points in his first 8GP. He was up and down after that, but he kept showing flashes of his NHL potential. So far Galiev simply has not. The best one can say for Galiev is that he doesn't look completely out of place. But nor has he done anything particularly noteworthy, on or off the scoreboard.

Galiev is the same age as Kuznetsov (actually Galiev is a few months older). He's only one year younger than Johansson. His NHL resume is no more impressive than fellow 2010 draftee and new Hershey Bear Christian Thomas. There's no more reason to think Galiev can find the next step and have his game translate to the NHL than Joey Hishon.

You won't find a bigger fan of MP85 on these boards than me, but I disagree with almost everything you've written here. MP85 had many more advantages and opportunities than Galiev has had.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
HB11 nails it on the development on Stan.

IIRC, he plays the Ovi spot on the PP... so here, he gets no reps, which limits his chances to contribute further. Last year, he was top 6 wing injury insurance, but no one got hurt. As it turned out, he should have spent the year in Hershey.

MP got lots of chances because of injury, including filling in for Nick out for an extended period. But they are different players, MP dazzles with the puck - a waterbug that is easy to notice. Stan is more the sniper type that needs proper setups.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I hear Stan drove by Hivemind who was stuck on the side of the road with a flat, gave him the finger then drove off. ;)

Opinions differ on Galiev. I think he's got the talent to play in the NHL.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If a player is a bona fide NHL top six talent, it doesn't matter who his AHL coach is. He's going to have the talent to play in the AHL. He lost out on top six jobs to guys like Ryan Stoa, Casey Wellman, Nic Deschamps, and Zach Hamill. It's not like he was being blocked down the depth chart by a cast of high end prospects or even established AHL stars like Aucoin/Giroux. I'm not expecting him to displace Jeff Taffe at the top of the Bears lineup in those years, but if he was a legit NHLer, he wouldn't be getting bumped to the 4th line/ECHL in favor of a bunch of tweeners about to jump to Europe.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Players do get better and some have slower development curves than others but all evidence IMO points to Galiev being just a guy. He competed last year when he had a chance, kept his feet moving and all that which ought to endear him to the coaches. But he's a fringe player all-around. Talent only accounts for so much and more talented players have bounced around the league and generally not solidified into steady NHLers.

He's gotten better but he's still a pretty questionable scoring-line player. He's someone that should have been flipped for a pick already if they had a stronger developmental system in place. It's decent but it's pretty one dimensional in being so predominantly old school. If they did a better job of refining hockey sense, passing and overall offensive crispness he'd be a lot more attractive than a skilled guy predominantly being schooled on how to grind and win more one-on-one battles. It's part of the reason why I'm not sold on Vrana eventually developing into as dynamic a player as he could be. It's also largely why the offense dries up every year 5-on-5 without any real examination as to why that may be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad