Rumor: Stan Bowman to receive an extension?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can't help it if others want to give Stan a pass for all his screw-ups. If it's not clear, not a big fan.
I think you can do far better than calling people Stan..you can not be a fan of his - all good, at least back it up with actual points and value..and welcome back to the Hawks board, dragged your ass back from the cesspool that is the main boards.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
I think you can do far better than calling people Stan..you can not be a fan of his - all good, at least back it up with actual points and value..and welcome back to the Hawks board, dragged your ass back from the cesspool that is the main boards.
So, the 5 horse-pucky contracts I pointed out mean nothing?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So, the 5 horse-pucky contracts I pointed out mean nothing?
nope. anyone bitching about Kane and Toews contracts are lunatics (sorry, but true).

if you want to bitch about contracts, then bring up the good ones -

Crow and his contract
Sharpie and both his sweet deals
Hossa and his larceny of a contract
Keith best damn contract in the game
Gus - f***ing bulge worthy contract

we can keep going and going here...

I agree, Seabs is brutal - that was strike one.

Bickell was not a bad contract, just bad situation..couldn't possibly diagnose MS..

Kruger contract sucked - I agree with that one.

Anisimov and his contract have been fine - guy has pretty much been a 40 plus point third liner here = value is spot on - bitch about length I guess, but not AAV...

he has handed out a few bad contracts, but FAR more good ones than bad..not seeing anything close to what you are seeing here. Trades are more debatable IMO than his contracts.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Toews and Kane each signed for 15.22% of the cap after winning two Cups, and just before winning a third.

Auston Matthews signed for 14.63% of the cap after winning zero Cups, and just before not winning another.

Carey Price signed for 14% of the cap after winning zero Cups.

Alex Ovechkin signed for 16.82% of the cap after winning zero Cups.

Evgeni Malkin signed for 14.77% of the cap after winning one Cup.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kruger almost certainly was a part of the previous year's handshake deal. If that was the case then you've got to keep your word to keep your reputation.

exactly, if the 1.5m year is included then his AAV on that deal drops into something pretty reasonable for what was a premium shut down center that was a huge part of the 2015 cup...injuries derailed Kruger

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Kruger almost certainly was a part of the previous year's handshake deal. If that was the case then you've got to keep your word to keep your reputation.

Spot on. Kruger really helped us out when we were tight against the cap. The overpay on the subsequent contract was to make up for the relatively large underpay the previous season. But those facts are conveniently "forgotten" by the Stanley meatballs.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The Danault deal was the worst deal Stan ever made imo. Seabrook second, but I understood why they kept him at the time. Term should've been 5 years though. 6 max. 8 was a complete gift. But every deal Stan made was at least explainable. Trading Danault and a 2nd for two fourth liners was awful on another level. I guess trading Sharp and taking back salary when the rumor was he could've got a 2nd was also a terrible deal given how things played out between Daley and Q...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The Danault deal was the worst deal Stan ever made imo. Seabrook second, but I understood why they kept him at the time. Term should've been 5 years though. 6 max. 8 was a complete gift. But every deal Stan made was at least explainable. Trading Danault and a 2nd for two fourth liners was awful on another level. I guess trading Sharp and taking back salary when the rumor was he could've got a 2nd was also a terrible deal given how things played out between Daley and Q...

I thought the run was probably over after 2015 given the miraculous performances and circumstances that allowed them to go over the cap. Even with all of that, they still won by the skin of their teeth. But, Panarin seemed destined for stardom so there was still some hope of squeezing out one more run. The Sharp/Saad trades killed that hope. The Hawks could have easily kept Saad if they just traded Sharp for a pick, even just a 7th. Anisimov and Daley’s salaries alone would have paid for Saad.

Ladd was ok in the sense they were defending the championship. It seemed like an attempt to bring back what was lost with Saad. Ladd started to decline that season. It seemed like just a nice gesture by Stan to the core guys. Going beyond that with the Danault trade didn’t make any sense. Danault was playing well anyway. Could have just traded the 2nd for one of Flash/Weise if anything and still have a better team for that season. For whatever reason, the front office/scouting staff doubted Danault and they were wrong.

Seabrook, the Hawks haven’t even hit the bad part of that contract and if he wasn’t here, maybe the team could have been properly revamped to contend again. Bowman going ahead and spending cap the way he did this offseason remains TBD. But if those moves cost the team Gustafsson, it’ll set the team back for years IMO. I just don’t understand why he is undervaluing the importance of Goose. We’ll see what happens.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I thought the run was probably over after 2015 given the miraculous performances and circumstances that allowed them to go over the cap. Even with all of that, they still won by the skin of their teeth. But, Panarin seemed destined for stardom so there was still some hope of squeezing out one more run. The Sharp/Saad trades killed that hope. The Hawks could have easily kept Saad if they just traded Sharp for a pick, even just a 7th. Anisimov and Daley’s salaries alone would have paid for Saad.

Ladd was ok in the sense they were defending the championship. It seemed like an attempt to bring back what was lost with Saad. Ladd started to decline that season. It seemed like just a nice gesture by Stan to the core guys. Going beyond that with the Danault trade didn’t make any sense. Danault was playing well anyway. Could have just traded the 2nd for one of Flash/Weise if anything and still have a better team for that season. For whatever reason, the front office/scouting staff doubted Danault and they were wrong.

Seabrook, the Hawks haven’t even hit the bad part of that contract and if he wasn’t here, maybe the team could have been properly revamped to contend again. Bowman going ahead and spending cap the way he did this offseason remains TBD. But if those moves cost the team Gustafsson, it’ll set the team back for years IMO. I just don’t understand why he is undervaluing the importance of Goose. We’ll see what happens.

15-16 they had a chance imo but not 16-17.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Spot on. Kruger really helped us out when we were tight against the cap. The overpay on the subsequent contract was to make up for the relatively large underpay the previous season. But those facts are conveniently "forgotten" by the Stanley meatballs.
Plus they left the dude hanging till damn near the start of the season. Didn’t he miss all of camp that year bc his work visa wasn’t ready due to contract delays? Talk about a stressful way to start the season.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
15-16 they had a chance imo but not 16-17.

Yeah, I understand that POV but didn’t agree with it. The Sharp/Saad losses hurt, but even worse, Toews was really inconsistent in 15-16, only had that one good run later in the season but fizzled out before the playoffs.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, I understand that POV but didn’t agree with it. The Sharp/Saad losses hurt, but even worse, Toews was really inconsistent in 15-16, only had that one good run later in the season but fizzled out before the playoffs.

They lost in OT to the Blues barely and could have made it to the finals.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They lost in OT to the Blues barely and could have made it to the finals.

That team in 2016 didn’t have much resemblance to the Cup winners. Wouldn’t be surprised if the amount of money bet on the Hawks dropped off a lot after 15, wonder if that is published somewhere.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That team in 2016 didn’t have much resemblance to the Cup winners. Wouldn’t be surprised if the amount of money bet on the Hawks dropped off a lot after 15, wonder if that is published somewhere.

I disagree.

Like Vegas betting?

14-15 was a better team but the 15-16 team was still a good team.

Technically the 15-16 team had better position numbers than the Blues. Bounce here, a bounce there.

Last edited:

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
nope. anyone *****ing about Kane and Toews contracts are lunatics (sorry, but true).

if you want to ***** about contracts, then bring up the good ones -

Crow and his contract
Sharpie and both his sweet deals
Hossa and his larceny of a contract
Keith best damn contract in the game
Gus - ****ing bulge worthy contract

we can keep going and going here...

I agree, Seabs is brutal - that was strike one.

Bickell was not a bad contract, just bad situation..couldn't possibly diagnose MS..

Kruger contract sucked - I agree with that one.

Anisimov and his contract have been fine - guy has pretty much been a 40 plus point third liner here = value is spot on - ***** about length I guess, but not AAV...

he has handed out a few bad contracts, but FAR more good ones than bad..not seeing anything close to what you are seeing here. Trades are more debatable IMO than his contracts.
I can see some of your points, but Bickell had NO business getting that contract. Has nothing to do with MS. 500% raise for 2 weeks of good play. Where do I sign?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad