Stamkos Yay or Nay - Pro and Cons ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Mentoring is not just what to do on the ice, it is also off the ice.
If you listen to Leafs Lunch, whenever Ray, Noodles or ODawg talks about how they were as rookies and how a vet took care of them off the ice. You can see how much they appreciated that and how much it helped them. That's why you need vets on the team beside the young talented players. In a way, to show them how it's work off the ice. Stuff as simple as tipping the equipment guy or what to say when I had a bad game or a bad incident. Oilers never done that and they just insert the kids and hope they will perform as good as they projected.....They seemed to be clicking now but how long could it lasts.

Back to Stamkos. The leadership that Stamkos brings is not just the off the ice stuff but rather it is to shield Willie, Marner and others from others. As much as I think Willie and Marner are sure things, there is a chance at they could struggle and bust, by having Stamkos or any top players on the team, it will help shield them from media. Also playing with someone like Stamkos will only benefit Willie and Marner.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think the off the ice stuff will take care of itself, we have plenty of character guys around the team now. The on-ice stuff is important though. Without that, there's nowhere to hide them when things get rough. Without it, when Nylander goes through a period when things are not going well for him, there'll be no way to shelter him without taking all his minutes. And minutes are crucial for development.

With a guy above them in the depth charts, you have someone that pulls that attention away. Allows you to put a Nylander on a line that gets very careful line matching, for example.

However, we don't necessarily need Stamkos for that. Kadri can do that as well, and Bozak. With them and a Nylander as our top 9C, we'll have the opportunity to put him in a position to succeed.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think the off the ice stuff will take care of itself, we have plenty of character guys around the team now. The on-ice stuff is important though. Without that, there's nowhere to hide them when things get rough. Without it, when Nylander goes through a period when things are not going well for him, there'll be no way to shelter him without taking all his minutes. And minutes are crucial for development.

With a guy above them in the depth charts, you have someone that pulls that attention away. Allows you to put a Nylander on a line that gets very careful line matching, for example.

However, we don't necessarily need Stamkos for that. Kadri can do that as well, and Bozak. With them and a Nylander as our top 9C, we'll have the opportunity to put him in a position to succeed.

True, but that will come down to who would you rather pay, Kadri for 6 plus mil a season or Stamkos for 10mil a yr.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
True, but that will come down to who would you rather pay, Kadri for 6 plus mil a season or Stamkos for 10mil a yr.

Those numbers are probably a bit off. I'd say around 5 for Kadri is to be expected, and 10 is the floor for what Stamkos will get.

Anyway, it's a thing to consider for sure.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

That's what I'm getting at. He team doesn't NEED to spend 10+ million on character and leadership for a single player.

Not to say that we shouldn't sign Stamkos - just that the case needs to be made on how he's on the ice.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'm just not sold on the guy since his injury. Honestly I'd love him for the first 5 years, but if he hurts our true rebuild and our ability to resign out big name players, than there's no point and were stuck back in that revolving door of mediocracy again

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I'd rather roll with Stamkos tbh haha. On the ice is important, training practice conduct. You can not beat the mentorship of a Star, sorry but you cant .

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I have always out thought Leaf management, but now, thank god there are smarter people than me in charge. I can honestly say, that if, if, we sign Stamkos its probably not to sell sweaters and get us pumped for mediocrity but that our solid braintrust believes this guy brings winning not marketing to the team.

I personally on their part will suggest, that unless Marner and Nylander are cinches to slip in strong ppg roles on the Leafs, don't do it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Dion Lupul and JVR are pretty good but its not the same as adding a Stamkos, Getz, Staal, Crosby etc.

When Scorched Earth was presented, do you think any part of the plan relied on a Hail Mary type signing?

C'mon. They are putting in place a variety of resources (on and off the ice) to help players learn how to be professional and adjust to life in Toronto.

Stamkos isn't going to billet 10 guys and chaperone them around the city. "Let's go rookies, everybody have their dinner buddy? Big game tomorrow, let's not order that $5 Bucket of Beer special…"

You overestimate the impact of one guy on the entire rebuild infrastructure, IMO.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
BTW, he was pretty clear in his statements yesterday that he wants to resign in Tampa.

Steven Stamkos wants to sign a long-term contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning and denied there is any rift between him and coach Jon Cooper, the Tampa Bay Times reported Saturday.

"Like I've always said, I envision myself winning a championship here and want to do that," Stamkos told the newspaper. "Obviously we got close last year, and I'm the captain of this team and I want to be that leader."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=793599

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
"Captain says he wants to win in his current organization"

Shocking Stuff

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm just not sold on the guy since his injury. Honestly I'd love him for the first 5 years, but if he hurts our true rebuild and our ability to resign out big name players, than there's no point and were stuck back in that revolving door of mediocracy again

He finished 2nd in goal scoring last season.

Yup, that injury has destroyed him

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
When Scorched Earth was presented, do you think any part of the plan relied on a Hail Mary type signing?

C'mon. They are putting in place a variety of resources (on and off the ice) to help players learn how to be professional and adjust to life in Toronto.

Stamkos isn't going to billet 10 guys and chaperone them around the city. "Let's go rookies, everybody have their dinner buddy? Big game tomorrow, let's not order that $5 Bucket of Beer special…"

You overestimate the impact of one guy on the entire rebuild infrastructure, IMO.

I think you underestimate the psychological impact of having a star on your team. Do you not believe that the Bruins draw confidence from knowing Chara is your D? Kopitar? Toews and Kane?

Winning and good play is infectious. Good players score big goals and give a team swagger on the ice. It's just the way it is and always has been. To say otherwise is impossible to argue against unless you want to look silly.

Who said anything about going out on the town. This about rallying around an elite player and drawing from their swagger while learning how to be better and what makes a player better through exposure.

We can sit here and discount the credit guys like Datsyuk give to their talented mentors but what does that do?

Are you saying you're smarter than Datsyuk? There are many players who say the exact same things if you look, people don't pay homage for the sake of it.

Think about it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think you underestimate the psychological impact of having a star on your team. Do you not believe that the Bruins draw confidence from knowing Chara is your D? Kopitar? Toews and Kane?

Winning and good play is infectious. Good players score big goals and give a team swagger on the ice. It's just the way it is and always has been. To say otherwise is impossible to argue against unless you want to look silly.

Who said anything about going out on the town. This about rallying around an elite player and drawing from their swagger while learning how to be better and what makes a player better through exposure.

We can sit here and discount the credit guys like Datsyuk give to their talented mentors but what does that do?

Are you saying you're smarter than Datsyuk? There are many players who say the exact same things if you look, people don't pay homage for the sake of it.

Think about it.

First, no one is discrediting anything. Sure. Stars have impact. Some positive. And some like the Kessel experience… were negative. And some, like the Sundin experience were moot on the end performance.

The reality is that we don't have a star. We have to draft and develop one.

To sign this one for the sake of having one seems shortsighted.

Particularly since he says he wants to stay in Tampa. If that doesn't happen, he also says he wants to win a Cup… something 20 other teams will be in a better position to do than our rebuilding mess.

We have to draft and develop one and we aren't going to get one drafting outside of the Top 5.

No shortcuts.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
BTW, he was pretty clear in his statements yesterday that he wants to resign in Tampa.

Parise was pretty clear that he was going to stay in New Jersey.
Guerin was very certain he'd stay in Boston.
Babcock was sure he'd figure out a way to stay in Detroit.

until the contract is signed, it's nothing but words.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

You can lower the defenses and keep your hope.

I mean, I could list a number of players that were unsigned… said they wanted to stay… and stayed… but that would be as pointless in forecasting this particular situation as your list of mutually exclusive events.

They may be nothing but words but they were words spoken. He didn't have to say a word but made a choice to say those ones.

We will find out if they have any meaning.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
First, no one is discrediting anything. Sure. Stars have impact. Some positive. And some like the Kessel experience… were negative. And some, like the Sundin experience were moot on the end performance.

The reality is that we don't have a star. We have to draft and develop one.

To sign this one for the sake of having one seems shortsighted.

Particularly since he says he wants to stay in Tampa. If that doesn't happen, he also says he wants to win a Cup… something 20 other teams will be in a better position to do than our rebuilding mess.

We have to draft and develop one and we aren't going to get one drafting outside of the Top 5.

No shortcuts.

I don't pigeon hole myself. We have a CHANCE at landing a star player who will add to the group. We don't HAVE to anything, its not set in stone. I think you need to expand your thought process. If all you see is numbers you can't draw up a complete picture. Its what's between the numbers which is important sometimes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You can lower the defenses and keep your hope.

I mean, I could list a number of players that were unsigned… said they wanted to stay… and stayed… but that would be as pointless in forecasting this particular situation as your list of mutually exclusive events.

They may be nothing but words but they were words spoken. He didn't have to say a word but made a choice to say those ones.

We will find out if they have any meaning.

it's a statement of fact. :laugh: until Stamkos signs - it's just words. and please note I've been saying that he'll re-sign in Tampa anyway. so maybe you should be the one to lower your defenses.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm sure those are true statements, but it does read like a bit of damage control given what has gone on recently. He seemed very ambiguous about his future when he was up here in Toronto, and made that statement in home territory in Tampa. It sounds like the Lightning are getting ready to make a "first/final" offer to Stamkos in the next little while. Also said he was willing to waive the NMC. Should be interesting.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Yup.

99.9% of athletes give roughly the same PC answer for everything. Like good robots :naughty:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
The emotional side of Stamkos probably wants to come to Toronto. The logical side of him knows that the pressure could be GInormous. That it could literally be the end of him if he doesn't perform up to certain expectations.

But believe you me, these guys essentially, 90% of the time, just say whatever their agents train them to say. For maximum gain and the least amount of pain.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Exactly this. Before Babcock signed with the leafs he didn't even consider Toronto as an option and now he's our current coach.

Stamkos is just trying to minimize the damage, I mean, who clicks the like button three times in a row and claims it was an accident? :laugh:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Exactly this. Before Babcock signed with the leafs he didn't even consider Toronto as an option and now he's our current coach.

And Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf were both signed by the Ducks in March in the months before they were UFA. Perry in particular, from Southern Ontario, was linked to the Leafs on numerous times.

Stamkos is a long shot.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Would rather have a star player for his first 6 or 7 cheap years rather than his last 6 or 7. Also wouldn't spend big bucks on a player unless he was superb defensively and no "no trade/no movement" clauses. Don't need another untradeable expensive contract during the rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad