Stamkos Yay or Nay - Pro and Cons ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
would be ever so nice if people would also acknowledge that Edmonton's drafting past the first round also sucked. and no one here stated at all that the rookies don't need to be insulated.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Drafting and DEVELOPING. You have to draft and develop. Nomatter how good your scouts are, if you don't know how to develop them, they will not become anything.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Drafting and DEVELOPING. You have to draft and develop. Nomatter how good your scouts are, if you don't know how to develop them, they will not become anything.

When playing with good players they develop better. I have said this the whole thread. Think Datsyuk doesn't help make kids better? Vets have tricks and things to show.

Telling kids something, letting them experience it first hand night after night is a whole other ball game.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
would be ever so nice if people would also acknowledge that Edmonton's drafting past the first round also sucked. and no one here stated at all that the rookies don't need to be insulated.

Yep. Edmonton's biggest issue has been lousy drafting outside of the first round.

The idea of signing a player for 10+ million to "insulate" younger guys seems like madness to me.

If you're going to sink that much cap space into one player the only thing that should matter is their play on the ice - how they are now and how management thinks they will fair over the course of the contract.

You can get bargain bin vets in free agency if you need to insulate you guys.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yep. Edmonton's biggest issue has been lousy drafting outside of the first round.

The idea of signing a player for 10+ million to "insulate" younger guys seems like madness to me.

If you're going to sink that much cap space into one player the only thing that should matter is their play on the ice - how they are now and how management thinks they will fair over the course of the contract.

You can get bargain bin vets in free agency if you need to insulate you guys.

Ya because Mathias is going to teach Nylander a thing or two. Sorry but you're wrong wrong wrong.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When playing with good players they develop better. I have said this the whole thread. Think Datsyuk doesn't help make kids better? Vets have tricks and things to show.

Telling kids something, letting them experience it first hand night after night is a whole other ball game.

Completely agree with you.

Feb 24, 2004
Agree a lot with the previous comment. We have no way of knowing if Nylander AND Marner are both going to translate. If they don't, if neither don't? Signing Stamkos would be a complete disaster.

If this was a no cap NHL? No brainer, give him the keys to a downtown bank in Toronto, he can go in every day and take out 50k in cash.

But its a cap world, totally different. Completely different.

Think Boston would have signed a 30 year old David Price for those outrageous numbers? Not in a 1,000 years.

1) If Marner and Nylander don't translate, it makes having Stamkos even more valuable

2) I don't get the Price comment at all

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ya because Mathias is going to teach Nylander a thing or two. Sorry but you're wrong wrong wrong.

I think the Leafs could get a much cheaper teacher than locking up Stamkos for 10+ million.

They could hire a former star to be his personal coach if they wanted with zero cap hit involved.

Stamkos cap hit must first and foremost reflect who he is as a player on the ice.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think there's very little chance we're able to sign him, but if we do, we'd have to overpay. The Leafs have to overpay for pretty much every UFA they sign, I'm sure the conversation with the agent goes something like:

"You guys are rich as hell, AND you suck, AND my player will have to deal with brutal pressure and criticism from the media, you need to significantly outbid everyone else if you want him to sign here."

I'd expect us to have to offer 7 years at $11-12 mil/year to have a chance at Stamkos.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think the Leafs could get a much cheaper teacher than locking up Stamkos for 10+ million.

They could hire a former star to be his personal coach if they wanted with zero cap hit involved.

Stamkos cap hit must first and foremost reflect who he is as a player on the ice.

I don't know what level of hockey you achieved but did you ever notice the kids with much older brothers were usually a step ahead? It sort of works like that combined with success breeds success. It's hard to be a winner when all you know is how to lose.

That is Edmonton in a nutshell, now after a long long time of drafting top picks they are starting to play well.

Pits brought Roberts in to show grit and determination to the team with a fresh Crosby, they went to the cup and lost, won it next year though.

Some UFA 3rd liner will not do what a Stamkos etc can do.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

So then are we doomed if Stamkos doesn't sign here?

Fold up the tents and quit? No hope? No way to develop players without the $11M man?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So then are we doomed if Stamkos doesn't sign here?

Fold up the tents and quit? No hope? No way to develop players without the $11M man?

Dion Lupul and JVR are pretty good but its not the same as adding a Stamkos, Getz, Staal, Crosby etc.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
It is a no brainer. Usually bringing kids up under guys that are better helps develop them.

Want to see what kids developing without mentors looks like? Edmonton. It's taken years.
I agree with the theory , Stamkos himself was a pretty quick success story playing alongside veteran st Louis and Vinny.
Still has to be at an affordable cost.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree with the theory , Stamkos himself was a pretty quick success story playing alongside veteran st Louis and Vinny.
Still has to be at an affordable cost.

The funny thing about Stamkos is he played with two superstars in Tampa and basically was at his peak at 19-21. I wonder if some people think he's near the end of his prime simply because he was so successful so early. There are tons of players from his age group who are just putting it all together as quality NHLers.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
I think there's very little chance we're able to sign him, but if we do, we'd have to overpay. The Leafs have to overpay for pretty much every UFA they sign, I'm sure the conversation with the agent goes something like:

"You guys are rich as hell, AND you suck, AND my player will have to deal with brutal pressure and criticism from the media, you need to significantly outbid everyone else if you want him to sign here."

I'd expect us to have to offer 7 years at $11-12 mil/year to have a chance at Stamkos.

They're also going to factor in the huge money he makes in this market doing every idiot commercial that comes his way.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't know what level of hockey you achieved but did you ever notice the kids with much older brothers were usually a step ahead? It sort of works like that combined with success breeds success. It's hard to be a winner when all you know is how to lose.

That is Edmonton in a nutshell, now after a long long time of drafting top picks they are starting to play well.

Pits brought Roberts in to show grit and determination to the team with a fresh Crosby, they went to the cup and lost, won it next year though.

Some UFA 3rd liner will not do what a Stamkos etc can do.

Edmonton's stars l developed well enough, save for Yak who was a questionable quick. It's not as if they've all busted.

Not to mention we have no idea how good of a teacher he is - i just don't like the idea of giving players massive money for qualities that don't affect his one ice play.
Perhaps we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Last edited:

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010

Wasn't there a recent article interview with dats saying how much it helped him playing in the league as a rookie with federov , shanny , stevie y ? Detroit is lauded for their development and really that's how they do it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wasn't there a recent article interview with dats saying how much it helped him playing in the league as a rookie with federov , shanny , stevie y ? Detroit is lauded for their development and really that's how they do it.

It's your 1st best option. That's why Babcock was brought in, not to tank but to get them playing like a team. Leaders will emerge and usher in the kids, a superstar like Stamkos with no asset cost just bolsters the roster and mentorship program.

I maintain its not a bad team, they play like a team better than many in the league. They lack pure goal scoring.

Tonight was team game perfection considering the opponents.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

And this year they will get to experience a long playoff run, something they sure as hell won't experience with the Leafs.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Since only Ovechkin has scored more goals than him over the last few years that cap hit would reflect what he is on the ice.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

The question is, did it suck or did they get thrown into situations that were not conducive of proper development? That team was bringing kids into no win scenarios with no mentors.

Bad scene Daisy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Since only Ovechkin has scored more goals than him over the last few years that cap hit would reflect what he is on the ice.

If you think goals scored are the only measure of a player, sure. Is that your position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad