News Article: Stamkos favours tweet linking him to the leafs

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Would be wiser for Leaf fans to focus on those. Stamkos ain't getting to UFA. Losing him would be a crippling blow for the Lightning, it's just not going to happen.

Potential Free agent classes always look much better 2 years in advance.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would of liked that homecoming with pk and stamkos. Good for the habs fans.

Subban was ridiculously expensive, so I'm kind of glad it wasn't Toronto in a position to pay out that kind of money. Hopefully the Leafs can create some cap flexibility in the next couple of years and get ahead of Tampa Bay in terms of being a desirable location to go to.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Subban was ridiculously expensive, so I'm kind of glad it wasn't Toronto in a position to pay out that kind of money. Hopefully the Leafs can create some cap flexibility in the next couple of years and get ahead of Tampa Bay in terms of being a desirable location to go to.

It's not going to happen. If not before, then next off-season, Tampa will offer him something like 11-12 million a year for 8 years. Who says no to that kind of money?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Was at Winner's yesterday with the family, and my 5 year old freaked out when he saw a Stamkos McFarlane hockey figure. He thought Stamkos was wearing a Leaf's jersey, and he got excited that Stamkos had been traded to the Leafs.

Got me thinking, if a miracle of miracles happens, and Stamkos comes home, he would immediately be the biggest athlete in all of Toronto, no questions asked. He would eclipse immediately anything the Raptors or Blue Jays are doing. He would easily be every kid's favourite Leaf, and he would be an absolute merchandising gold mine. He would be the biggest thing in Toronto since Sundin, without having played a single game in the Blue and White.

Based on my 5 year old's freak out (yeah, I had to buy him the Stamkos figure, but for $7, meh, it keeps the peace), it gave me a real reason to think about how profound an impact Stamkos would have on the psyche of Toronto, and Maple Leaf fans.

Dare to dream.........

BB

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Was at Winner's yesterday with the family, and my 5 year old freaked out when he saw a Stamkos McFarlane hockey figure. He thought Stamkos was wearing a Leaf's jersey, and he got excited that Stamkos had been traded to the Leafs.

Got me thinking, if a miracle of miracles happens, and Stamkos comes home, he would immediately be the biggest athlete in all of Toronto, no questions asked. He would eclipse immediately anything the Raptors or Blue Jays are doing. He would easily be every kid's favourite Leaf, and he would be an absolute merchandising gold mine. He would be the biggest thing in Toronto since Sundin, without having played a single game in the Blue and White.

Based on my 5 year old's freak out (yeah, I had to buy him the Stamkos figure, but for $7, meh, it keeps the peace), it gave me a real reason to think about how profound an impact Stamkos would have on the psyche of Toronto, and Maple Leaf fans.

Dare to dream.........

BB

Oh I think he'd be bigger than Sundin. Nothing wrong with dreaming, if you're gonna dream than dream big! :)

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Even if stamkos goes to UFA were probably giving him like ~12mil, which I'm sure the lightning will probably match.

Got me thinking how much of a steal Suter's and Parise's contracts are. Sure when their in their mid-late 30s those contracts are gona stink but with the rapid inflation their current cap hits will look like nothing, while it looked soo expensive when they first signed them.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's not going to happen. If not before, then next off-season, Tampa will offer him something like 11-12 million a year for 8 years. Who says no to that kind of money?

Someone who could go home closer to his family and get the same amount of money.

We have no idea what he is thinking, and it is still 2 years away.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I'm not saying there's a good chance it will happen, but he seems like a guy who is more publicly pro GTA than a lot of other athletes from this area and we have no idea what he's thinking. The guy already has his face randomly all over town. I can't imagine how this town could be wall to wall Stamkos if he ever came here and would be the biggest sports star. A lot of star players shy away from the Leafs, but maybe the franchise is just waiting for the right player to come along and embrace that role.

Under the old cap in 2011, the guy probably could have held out for a 15 year Kovalchuk type contract but kept it to the minimum term to get to unrestricted free agency. Maybe he wants to keep his options open.

In any case, there's going to be a truck of money being dumped on his front lawn July 2016, and he has the option of picking who gets to pay him.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I'm not saying there's a good chance it will happen, but he seems like a guy who is more publicly pro GTA than a lot of other athletes from this area and we have no idea what he's thinking. The guy already has his face randomly all over town. I can't imagine how this town could be wall to wall Stamkos if he ever came here and would be the biggest sports star. A lot of star players shy away from the Leafs, but maybe the franchise is just waiting for the right player to come along and embrace that role.

Under the old cap in 2011, the guy probably could have held out for a 15 year Kovalchuk type contract but kept it to the minimum term to get to unrestricted free agency. Maybe he wants to keep his options open.

In any case, there's going to be a truck of money being dumped on his front lawn July 2016, and he has the option of picking who gets to pay him.

Yup, the hype for Stamkos as a Leaf would be at ridiculous levels in Ontario. Steven probably knows it as well, and perhaps he considers that option next year. We will see..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Subban must have realized this as well, hopefully my post didn't influence his decision.

Guess we'll have to settle for the #91's. Wonder who gets 1st dibs on it?

At the end of the day it's a fun pipe dream until Stamkos starts acting aloof or weird in negotiations next year!

It was probably harder for Subban to walk from an Original Six club...

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yup, the hype for Stamkos as a Leaf would be at ridiculous levels in Ontario. Steven probably knows it as well, and perhaps he considers that option next year. We will see..

Sounds like a good reason to stay in Tampa Bay. Along with the nicer weather, better team, and the ability to sign for 8 years rather than 7.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like a good reason to stay in Tampa Bay. Along with the nicer weather, better team, and the ability to sign for 8 years rather than 7.

Nicer weather? He's on the road for half of the year. The only upside weather wise would be getting to wear shorts to the practice arena. He could travel down south for the offseason like most players do. I dont think there is a rule against signing a one year deal and re-signing in January fr 8 more yeara

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Tampa had one great year with a team full of rookies, lost a point a game St. Louis, collapsed like a house of cards without Bishop, who himself could be a one year wonder, and looked terrible against Montreal. The year before they were in a position to draft top 3. It's not like they're Chicago. Two years is a long time.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
as well as - Subban grew up wanting to be a Hab. His favourite team, and everything. And then he gets drafted by them, and so ergo while people want to go BUT HE'S A TORONTO KID! while I think that lure would have been intriguing for him it didn't trump him fulfilling his dream about being a Canadien for life.

Stamkos on the other hand dreamed about being a Leaf. the only difference here was that we didn't draft him so we speculate.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Nicer weather? He's on the road for half of the year. The only upside weather wise would be getting to wear shorts to the practice arena. He could travel down south for the offseason like most players do. I dont think there is a rule against signing a one year deal and re-signing in January fr 8 more yeara

So, you see no upside to having nice weather when you're at home during the season other than wearing shorts to the practice arena? Okay.

And as for signing for one year then eight -- that's a gamble. If he gets injured seriously during that year he could be losing millions. Actually, that's another reason to re-sign with the Lightning -- he can do it as soon as July 1, 2015. That means he only needs to worry about one season (the upcoming one) as far as potential career-ending injuries go. Not to mention, there's less tax to be paid in Tampa Bay and I believe the cost of living is also lower.

I have to admit I know little about Stamkos' relationship situation. Is he married? If so, where is his wife from?

But to be honest, to me, the biggest reason to not sign with the Leafs is Leafs fans. Or moreso, those fans who seem to lack boundaries. You know, the ones who think it's okay to go up to players during their off-hours and start talking to them or bugging them for autographs. Sure, if the player is making an official appearance, then you can talk to him; otherwise, fans should leave players alone and let them live their lives.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
So, you see no upside to having nice weather when you're at home during the season other than wearing shorts to the practice arena? Okay.

And as for signing for one year then eight -- that's a gamble. If he gets injured seriously during that year he could be losing millions. Actually, that's another reason to re-sign with the Lightning -- he can do it as soon as July 1, 2015. That means he only needs to worry about one season (the upcoming one) as far as potential career-ending injuries go. Not to mention, there's less tax to be paid in Tampa Bay and I believe the cost of living is also lower.

I have to admit I know little about Stamkos' relationship situation. Is he married? If so, where is his wife from?

But to be honest, to me, the biggest reason to not sign with the Leafs is Leafs fans. Or moreso, those fans who seem to lack boundaries. You know, the ones who think it's okay to go up to players during their off-hours and start talking to them or bugging them for autographs. Sure, if the player is making an official appearance, then you can talk to him; otherwise, fans should leave players alone and let them live their lives.

Tampa is a dump. Anyone who has been there can tell you that.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
I have a house in West Palm beach and Florida is not a dump.

The problem with Florida is you can buy a beautiful mansionesque home for next to nothing. Which is normally great, except for 2 minutes down the road in any direction and you are near a trailer park or a ghetto. My house is in a gated community (which is common there) which keeps out any "unnecessary" pedestrians but its still near some relatively sketchy areas.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have a house in West Palm beach and Florida is not a dump.

The problem with Florida is you can buy a beautiful mansionesque home for next to nothing. Which is normally great, except for 2 minutes down the road in any direction and you are near a trailer park or a ghetto. My house is in a gated community (which is common there) which keeps out any "unnecessary" pedestrians but its still near some relatively sketchy areas.

LOL I haven't heard that phrase before. :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

As Tampa's franchise player, I'm sure he'll feel a lot more pressure to stay there and remain the cornerstone of that team than your run of the mill Lightning free agent, so that might ultimately be a reason he remains in Florida on top of the money and the supposedly better team. Other than that, players leave the state of Florida and choose Toronto all the time, so why would he be different?

I he feels Toronto is a more attractive location to be to make his money, spend his career and live life, all the sunshine and humidity won't keep him there.

Nobody knows but it seems like he's left the door wide open to go to free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00