Stamkos Discussion Thread - March 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
When someone has an agenda, there is no room for objectivity.

Stamkos would accelerate the rebuild in terms of his impact, but it would not signal that the organization is suddenly going to abandon the current modus operandi.

Lou himself has said they are further along than expected.

Meaning they expected it would take more time. They don't think so now. Meaning there is a new timeline. A faster one.

Which is good since you think they may make the playoffs next year. Looks like they will try for it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lou himself has said they are further along than expected.

Meaning they expected it would take more time. They don't think so now. Meaning there is a new timeline. A faster one.

Which is good since you think they may make the playoffs next year. Looks like they will try for it.

Yeah for sure. They are so much ahead of where they expected to be, I think they'll trade Marner and their top pick to take the next step.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I've been saying this forever, only to have people say "but security, but broken leg!" :laugh:

The people saying that make sense. His agent will surely be pushing him to get the max years and money available too. It'll all come down to what Stamkos really wants? Capitalize on being the biggest name free agent in recent memory, or go this route. Either way, he's not going to go hungry.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Damien Cox had this suggestion about Stamkos accepting a shorter term deal with Toronto, however he would still make 20% max salary.

Hardly an original idea.

I've been saying this forever, only to have people say "but security, but broken leg!" :laugh:

....and those people would be right. Sure I suppose it could happen but that doesn't mean it makes much sense today.

Im pretty sure I called that idea first. :shakehead:

Being 1st at something that doesn't make a lot of sense isn't something to celebrate.

Why do people believe Button, Mackenzie or McGuire would have any sort of insider knowledge on this subject. Those guys are the NHL equivalent of the creepy overbearing hockey parents that are always offering their insight when nobody wants them around. They're the last people NHL players would tell anything to.

The whole notion of NHL insiders is a joke, they pat themselves on the back for weeks because they tweet something 10 minutes prior to it being officially announced.

Wasn't Mackenzie quoted as saying "Stamkos hasn't thought about a destination yet"?

When someone has an agenda, there is no room for objectivity.

Stamkos would accelerate the rebuild in terms of his impact, but it would not signal that the organization is suddenly going to abandon the current modus operandi.

Look at Florida. A dynamic young team that has a few key veterans in the lineup. And Stamkos is the youngest free agent of his calibre to ever hit the market.

Rebuilding does not mean icing an U-23 team, unless you are the Edmonton Oilers.

Stamkos makes the Team better but doesn't change the rebuild.
The young kids performing well has more to do with the Team being further ahead then they thought

TSN, Sportsnet, ETC. Craig Button just had a big odds board put up stating Buffalo had the best chance.

He's guessing like everyone else.

I wonder if the panel had said Stamkos was NOT coming to Toronto if you would have dismissed it saying they don't know what they are talking about?

Naw. Who am I kidding? :laugh:

:laugh: Not much need to wonder.

What evidence is there for this? Because some TV exec said he expects the team to be .500 next year? Why is that such irrefutable confirmation? Maybe he's just making a prediction like any jackass can. Maybe it's just another in a long line of excuses he's making for the piss poor production Rogers has done. Ratings couldn't possibly be down because the broadcast is terrible.

There's also the issue of debating whether or not signing Stamkos is accelerating the rebuild in typical Leafs fashion or if it's simply bolstering it.

What a tv exec thinks has zero bearing on what will actually happen.
Nothing more than attention seeking.

Yeah for sure. They are so much ahead of where they expected to be, I think they'll trade Marner and their top pick to take the next step.

Also Eric Staal and Iginla are available this summer as UFA?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hardly an original idea.

....and those people would be right. Sure I suppose it could happen but that doesn't mean it makes much sense today.

Being 1st at something that doesn't make a lot of sense isn't something to celebrate.

Wasn't Mackenzie quoted as saying "Stamkos hasn't thought about a destination yet"?

Stamkos makes the Team better but doesn't change the rebuild.
The young kids performing well has more to do with the Team being further ahead then they thought

He's guessing like everyone else.

:laugh: Not much need to wonder.

What a tv exec thinks has zero bearing on what will actually happen.
Nothing more than attention seeking.

Also Eric Staal and Iginla are available this summer as UFA?

They'll seek a contender I imagine.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This idea of a 3 year deal for Stamkos (so that he can see if he likes where we are as a franchise then) got me thinking - does the NHL allow opt-out clauses for players like is sometimes done in the NBA?

I don't think he'd ever agree to a 3 year deal when he can get guaranteed money for 7 but what about 7 year deal for him with an opt-out clause for him after 3 years? That way he is guaranteed the money for 7 years, but if he is still a healthy and valuable commodity and doesn't like where we are in 3 years, he is free to go elsewhere (or re-negotiate with us for more money). Something that would make it more attractive for Stamkos to come here and at the same time, I think that's something we could also live with.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This idea of a 3 year deal for Stamkos (so that he can see if he likes where we are as a franchise then) got me thinking - does the NHL allow opt-out clauses for players like is sometimes done in the NBA?

I don't think he'd ever agree to a 3 year deal when he can get guaranteed money for 7 but what about 7 year deal for him with an opt-out clause for him after 3 years? That way he is guaranteed the money for 7 years, but if he is still a healthy and valuable commodity and doesn't like where we are in 3 years, he is free to go elsewhere (or re-negotiate with us for more money). Something that would make it more attractive for Stamkos to come here and at the same time, I think that's something we could also live with.

Once a contract is signed, that's it.
Only recourse the Player would have is ask to be traded which is difficult at the cap hit he'd be making.

bigfreeze

Mar 16, 2016
I really don't care where Stamkos goes (sure I'd love him here)... but I'd be pissed if he spurned the Leafs to go to the Habs or Sabres.

Maybe it's my blue kool-aid, but I want to see some Toronto boys come home and play because they want to wear the Maple Leaf, not because we offer the biggest paycheques.

We always hear about how honoured some players are to put on the blue and white sweater, so let's see how these guys act once they become free agents lol.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I wonder if the panel had said Stamkos was coming to Toronto if folks would have dismissed it saying they don't know what they are talking about?

Naw. Who am I kidding?

I do feel like deep down, they do think Toronto is a stronger contender than they claim but are afraid to say it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Only recourse the Player would have is ask to be traded which is difficult at the cap hit he'd be making.

If his production slides its next to impossible. If it goes up or maintains and the cap hits 80+m that should be fine as well.

I want to get Stamkos but this whole expansion thing makes things really strange. You almost have to buyout guys with NMCs that you don't want to protect. It's a big mess IMHO.

I mean, we have to trade JVR now IMHO and be very selective of who we bring up as well. If its for sure 2017 then it's not so bad but 2018 almost assures we lose someone we want around.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You're just naming media outlets now.

Craig Button saying so is hardly a consensus and we haven't read much at all mentioning Buffalo as a competitor for Stamkos. That's just Button's opinion, which should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Bob Mckenzie, Pierre Mcgurie.
I'm surprised to hear anyone say Buffalo isn't getting named. They are seen as a major contender

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Hmm, OK thanks.

I really don't care where Stamkos goes (sure I'd love him here)... but I'd be pissed if he spurned the Leafs to go to the Habs or Sabres.

Maybe it's my blue kool-aid, but I want to see some Toronto boys come home and play because they want to wear the Maple Leaf, not because we offer the biggest paycheques.

We always hear about how honoured some players are to put on the blue and white sweater, so let's see how these guys act once they become free agents lol.

The Sabres? If he goes to the Habs I hope they fail miserably but I could care less about the Sabres. If anything, I can empathize with Sabre fans to some degree.

Other than that, we're drinking the same look-aid. :yo:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Lmao how could he possible know that.

I don't remember the context of how he phrased it but although Mackenzie is deemed to have more integrity than others, it could be dumped in with all the rest of the speculation.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If his production slides its next to impossible. If it goes up or maintains and the cap hits 80+m that should be fine as well.

I want to get Stamkos but this whole expansion thing makes things really strange. You almost have to buyout guys with NMCs that you don't want to protect. It's a big mess IMHO.

I mean, we have to trade JVR now IMHO and be very selective of who we bring up as well. If its for sure 2017 then it's not so bad but 2018 almost assures we lose someone we want around.

True but if that were the case he'd probably be happy here and not looking to go.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Can someone explain why Buffalo can make huge trades in a rebuild and give-out big contracts and no one says anything. But the idea of the Leafs simply signing a UFA without giving up assets means it'll end the rebuild?
There were people who made this argument concerning if they signed Babcock. the rebuild went full steam ahead.
Buffalo needs to watch what they spend. They need to lock-up their young players. And Stamkos would need to agree to never play centre again to go there.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I can see Terry Pegula losing his mind and offering some ridiculous amount to get him signed. I mean, this is the guy that signed Christian Ehrhoff to a 10 year contract.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I can see Terry Pegula losing his mind and offering some ridiculous amount to get him signed. I mean, this is the guy that signed Christian Ehrhoff to a 10 year contract.

I know it's nice for a team that almost went bankrupt to have a rich owner, but this guy seems to lack patience and the Sabres have given a lot of brutal contracts since he bought the team. I think they are rushing things a bit. We'll see this summer what they do. If you really want to win a cup you need to manage your cap well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Buffalo as a destination only came up cause Bob McKenzie mentioned them.

TSN is hilariously frustrating. They do one piece on Stamkos coming to Toronto, then dial it back by saying how unrealistic it is, then they start talking about it again the next intermission. Such a tease.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anyway, Stamkos is now tied for 5th in NHL goal scoring and within 5 goals of second overall.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
And tied for 23rd overall in points, just 5 points ahead of Forsberg, Monahan, Ryan and Jokinen in 38th place.

If you look at his numbers over the last thirty days, they are comparable to his career average. Even with a massive half season slump, his goal totals are quite respectable. It's almost like he started producing again when the weight of being traded was lifted.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
The Buffalo write up is something else. Blaming management for buying out contracts they didn't sign...the expensive two of which were the non cap penalty buyouts. Then somehow turning paying RoR into a negative...and making out the one year left of Franson as this horrible anchor contract... Or ignoring that they actually saved money on the Bogosian contract in that trade because Myers cost more...in an argument about how they use their cap... Imagine hitting send on an article where having Franson at 1 year 3 mil is a reason they are hampered by contracts.

And the "look what they added and still bad" point just flatly ignores both a 20+ point improvement and that they did it with the second most games lost to injury in the league. And not to scrubs. #1 goalie out most of year. Top goal scorer from last year out all year. RoR and Kane a month each. 2 of the top 3 D out longer.

Just a real bad effort.

When he couldn't say they didn't have the money he just decided to make up a fantasy narrative.

"Not a well run organization"

Yes. If you blame the people in charge for what people who were fired before them did. The ones here scorched the earth to draft high and collect as many high draft picks in a short period of time possible to use in draft and trade.

Hmm...that sounds familiar. Like I've seen this done somewhere since. Can't put my finger on it. Bet he'd say the same about any organization taking those steps. But I better keep reading to be sure.

"guaranteed the leafs draft top 3 this year. Don't believe the hype about picking 4"

Oh he doesn't even understand math. Or what the word guarantee means. One of those.

Yes. "Interesting" article.

so what you are saying is...

O'Reilly $7,500,000
Kane $5,250,000
Moulson $5,000,000
Gionta $4,600,000
Ennis $4,250,000
Bogosian $5,142,857

Total = $31.742857 million

Is good cap management for a bottom feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad