Stamkos Discussion Thread - March 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's between Tampa and Toronto. All these media stories are hilarious. The "Taxes" matter if it's a subject about the Leafs, yet the team who's players are taxed the most are the best bet to sign him according to Button (Habs).
The weather comes up if it's a Leaf matter with Stamkos, does not when Buffalo comes up.
"Rebuilding" matters if it's about the Leafs, but Vancouver has a great chance to sign him..
Honestly, this is Babcock all over again.
The Leafs are a great fit for him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This post was in response to a misguided article which said that Stamkos would never go to Buffalo because they had horrendous management and were rebuilding the wrong way. Given the collective emerging talent on the roster I found this a pretty dubious statement.

Yeah but to be fair, almost no one else has said that. Buffalo is viewed as a major favourite.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
The reality is that he is going to be a Leaf.
All signs point to the fact that we are going to make a major run at him come July 1st. Couple this with the fact he hasn't resigned in Tampa, and the pocket tweets.
Also, I would have to think that with how shrewd our management team is they have through back-channels communicated with Stamkos' camp.
I don't know about the rest of you, but sitting down in a room with Shanahan, Lou and Babcock, and hearing them laying out the plan for the future, projecting your jersey on the screen with our sweet new logo and a big C on the chest, and then an additional 10 or 11 million reasons why to come, would make it pretty difficult to turn down. If you want to ice the cake, play the footage of the 1967 Stanley Cup parade down Yonge Street. Kid grew up a Leafs fan. Every kid dreams of playing for their childhood team.
We all know Shanahan seems to always get his man.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
if any deal is signed, it will be max for a couple years and taper out later in the contract to make the cap hit manageable, also makes the contract more attractive to lesser teams who can't afford the big bucks if his play were to go sideways. More cap than salary after the first few years.

Also, Leafs will likely be keeping Kadri. My assumption is they'll get a feel for if Stamkos would like to come to toronto during the discussion period. If they get the feeling he will, they'll probably execute buyouts in the days leading up to july 1st. All players of little to no value will be axed. Bernier, Michalek, Laich, Cowen. Bozak/Lupul or possibly JVR will likely be traded at draft with retention to maximize value. since a good portion of the team is on their ELCs, this is the absolute best time to do this as they're gonna have a ton of players on their ELCs. Allows them to pursue targets like Perron, Demers, Stamkos. in 2 years, all those buyouts disappear, including gleasons giving $7 mil cap back, then lupuls contract if not moved by then gives another $5 mil.

Leafs are set up perfectly to spend BIG with little to no penalty in the short to near long term. Also success may be 3 years away or less, considering the amount of high end prospects are on the way. Teams have turned it around with less talent.

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
How do you know a money losing team like Florida can even make an offer?
I constantly see teams that are already losing money or don't have cap room as "Better fits" for Stamkos.
The reality is there will likely be a small amount of teams offering the 7 year 11 million deals he will command.

I meant the state of florida, tampa bay as the team

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
TSN, Sportsnet, ETC. Craig Button just had a big odds board put up stating Buffalo had the best chance.

You're just naming media outlets now.

Craig Button saying so is hardly a consensus and we haven't read much at all mentioning Buffalo as a competitor for Stamkos. That's just Button's opinion, which should always be taken with a grain of salt.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
TSN, Sportsnet, ETC. Craig Button just had a big odds board put up stating Buffalo had the best chance.
Like I said before who really takes Craig Button's opinion seriously? I think he put Buffalo that high because there was a rumour they offered Tampa the 2nd overall pick in 2015 (Jack Eichel) in a trade for Stamkos.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Why do people believe Button, Mackenzie or McGuire would have any sort of insider knowledge on this subject. Those guys are the NHL equivalent of the creepy overbearing hockey parents that are always offering their insight when nobody wants them around. They're the last people NHL players would tell anything to.

The whole notion of NHL insiders is a joke, they pat themselves on the back for weeks because they tweet something 10 minutes prior to it being officially announced.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Why do people believe Button, Mackenzie or McGuire would have any sort of insider knowledge on this subject. Those guys are the NHL equivalent of the creepy overbearing hockey parents that are always offering their insight when nobody wants them around. They're the last people NHL players would tell anything to.

The whole notion of NHL insiders is a joke, they pat themselves on the back for weeks because they tweet something 10 minutes prior to it being officially announced.

hahaha, well ummmm yups

you do speak the truth here

it's why I gravitate to Elliotte Friedman , I find he lays things out like "food for thought" , not, here it is and here is my authoritative take on it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You're just naming media outlets now.

Craig Button saying so is hardly a consensus and we haven't read much at all mentioning Buffalo as a competitor for Stamkos. That's just Button's opinion, which should always be taken with a grain of salt.

that why I stopped listening , so much sodium is bad for the heart:laugh:

hey duke, was that you I saw posting over at collider movie talk?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I wonder if the panel had said Stamkos was coming to Toronto if folks would have dismissed it saying they don't know what they are talking about?

Naw. Who am I kidding?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I've been saying this forever, only to have people say "but security, but broken leg!" :laugh:

I'd say the same to Cox about his speculation too.

It got a retweet though so I guess it serves it's purpose.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wonder if the panel had said Stamkos was coming to Toronto if folks would have dismissed it saying they don't know what they are talking about?

Naw. Who am I kidding?

I wonder if the panel had said Stamkos was NOT coming to Toronto if you would have dismissed it saying they don't know what they are talking about?

Naw. Who am I kidding? :laugh:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Oh Gary, I think he is coming if he gets to market.

They need a brand lift and intend to accelerate. The only question is 11 or 12.

Would I believe a panel, who get paid to be connected over a guy on a sports forum who knows a guy who overheard a guy...?

I know I would. Would you?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Wait

Whats that name I see in 5th spot for goals scored?

It looks familiar:naughty:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Oh Gary, I think he is coming if he gets to market.

They need a brand lift and intend to accelerate. The only question is 11 or 12.

Would I believe a panel, who get paid to be connected over a guy on a sports forum who knows a guy who overheard a guy...?

I know I would. Would you?

What evidence is there for this? Because some TV exec said he expects the team to be .500 next year? Why is that such irrefutable confirmation? Maybe he's just making a prediction like any jackass can. Maybe it's just another in a long line of excuses he's making for the piss poor production Rogers has done. Ratings couldn't possibly be down because the broadcast is terrible.

There's also the issue of debating whether or not signing Stamkos is accelerating the rebuild in typical Leafs fashion or if it's simply bolstering it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What evidence is there for this? Because some TV exec said he expects the team to be .500 next year? Why is that such irrefutable confirmation? Maybe he's just making a prediction like any jackass can. Maybe it's just another in a long line of excuses he's making for the piss poor production Rogers has done. Ratings couldn't possibly be down because the broadcast is terrible.

There's also the issue of debating whether or not signing Stamkos is accelerating the rebuild in typical Leafs fashion or if it's simply bolstering it.

Accelerating IMO because Lou has said publicly they are further along than expected.

(months after Rogers already told us)

the difference between Rogers "predictions" and our "predictions" is that we don't set advertising rates and charge fees based on them. I'd say his "prediction" is a little less random and a little more "business plan".

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
When someone has an agenda, there is no room for objectivity.

Stamkos would accelerate the rebuild in terms of his impact, but it would not signal that the organization is suddenly going to abandon the current modus operandi.

Look at Florida. A dynamic young team that has a few key veterans in the lineup. And Stamkos is the youngest free agent of his calibre to ever hit the market.

Rebuilding does not mean icing an U-23 team, unless you are the Edmonton Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad