Speculation: Stamkos Ask from Toronto was 14M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I'd be surprised if current Leafs management even offered $8.5 million per for Stamkos.

This is a cap league, and signing overpriced top tier UFA's is counterproductive in the long run.

As for the rumored $14 ask by the Stamkos camp, I don't believe it for a minute.

Knowing Lou, it's more likely the Leafs low balled him.

No one believes 14M. Stammer did say he turned down more money and instead decided to sign where he had best chance to win.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Remember when people were saying that it was a done deal that he was going to sign with the Leafs? I mean how did anybody ever think he would want to leave TB a team that has been in the ECF the last two years and is still very young to a team that is still rebuilding? Even though I think TB could have done well without him I still like him coming back. I just want to see him win a cup with TB. He's been here for the bad days. He deserves to be here for the good.

I like how you have been all over this thread mocking the Leafs on missing out on Stamkos, however it seems your views have changed quite a bit despite no hockey being played, and only him resigning with your team..

Toronto should save their money. If they want to make a splash signing they should go after Tavares next year. No history of injuries and is a difference maker. Stamkos isn't as good of a player as he used to be. Save your money on your young players. Same could be said for Buffalo. And TB for that matter.

I think whoever signs him will be disappointed. He's not the same player he once was. Your going to pay him over 10 mil?

If anything it seems the Leafs dodged a bullet, no?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I like how you have been all over this thread mocking the Leafs on missing out on Stamkos, however it seems your views have changed quite a bit despite no hockey being played, and only him resigning with your team..

:handclap:

I have a feeling a lot of non Leaf fans thought like this. There was tons of comments about what a bad signing he'd be for the Leafs. A lot of people did think he might sign there. In the end, the Leafs got Matthews. That's a much bigger deal than Stamkos.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

Truthfully everyone on here was scared Stamkos would sign with Toronto

But definitely reassured about not landing him after reading posts like those above lol

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I would bet everything I have that Stamkos never asked for 14 million. That's just a headline where Leaf-hater and huge WWE fan Marek can get attention.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I still have the same stance as I did then. Stamkos is not the same player as he used to be and not worth over 10 mil. Which is what he was rumored to want. 8.5 is a lot better. But still feel somewhat unsure about him coming back. The thing is I like Stamkos. Think he is a great guy. I like him as our captain. There's nothing id like more than to see him win a cup. Yes I think the Leafs dodged a bullet. The whole thing never sounded right to me other than the fact that he is from Toronto. You will be a better team in the long run without him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I still have the same stance as I did then. Stamkos is not the same player as he used to be and not worth over 10 mil. Which is what he was rumored to want. 8.5 is a lot better. But still feel somewhat unsure about him coming back. The thing is I like Stamkos. Think he is a great guy. I like him as our captain. There's nothing morethan I'd like to see him win a cup. Yes I think the Leafs dodged a bullet. The whole thing never sounded right to me other than the fact that he is from Toronto. You will be a better team in the long run without him.

If you think the Leafs dodged a bullet, why the constant shots in this thread?
You've been called-out, and now you're back-tracking.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If you think the Leafs dodged a bullet, why the constant shots in this thread?
You've been called-out, and now you're back-tracking.

What constant shots? The only thing I said was remember when the leafs fans thought it was a done deal that he was going to be a Leaf? Is that not true? Go look back at the multiple threads on him before he signed. I'm speaking the truth.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
What constant shots? The only thing I said was remember when the leafs fans thought it was a done deal that he was going to be a Leaf? Is that not true? Go look back at the multiple threads on him before he signed. I'm speaking the truth.

The word you should have inserted before Leafs fans was "some". Not all of us wanted to sign him as we assumed it would cost 10+ million to do so.

It's like me saying "all Tampa fans think he sucks" during that time...a good majority where resigned to the fact he was leaving, and thus told everyone that he isn't the player he once was and they would laugh when TO signed him long term.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yet everything we know about the situation shows that they were very interested in the player at their terms and the player decided to remain where he was.

Not sure what's so hard to understand here?

Once you get up to speed on all that went on you'll see you're wrong.
Get up to speed??I heard Leafs fans and their media claiming they,where going to sign him .The only thing i heard from the Leafs managment group was either silence or non interest :nod:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The word you should have inserted before Leafs fans was "some". Not all of us wanted to sign him as we assumed it would cost 10+ million to do so.

It's like me saying "all Tampa fans think he sucks" during that time...a good majority where resigned to the fact he was leaving, and thus told everyone that he isn't the player he once was and they would laugh when TO signed him long term.

No not every leafs fans wanted to sign him. You are right about this. But I don't think I said it like this. I said Leaf fans. That doesn't necessarily mean all leaf fans. But to clarify I meant there were leaf fans that thought it was a done deal. In my earlier post I said to them that it was a bad idea. I still think it would have been a bad idea for them to sign him.

You guys have to look at this from our POV too. He was a guy who had been one of our best goal scorers in our history and was a FA. Who also had a history of injuries and his play did slow down. When you see rumors of him wanting over 10 mil and you have players like Kucherov, Johnson, Drouin and Palat needing new contracts (guys who have all played bigger roles in the playoffs than Stamkos has) then your not exactly going to be confident in him. It showed in our comments about him all the way until he re-signed. But when he re-signed for 8.5 mil Lightning fans were happy to see it wasn't 10 mil or more the rumored number.

Like I said he's a good guy to have on your team. But I still see people on our board that don't think it was a good idea to re-sign him. That money could easily be going to Kuch who many believe is more important to our success than Stamkos is. And I wouldn't argue against that.

Bottom line is Toronto did dodge a bullet and I haven't said anything different from the beginning. I said they would dodge a bullet if they don't get him too. The guys who wanted him can be sad they didn't get him but I think it's the wrong way to go about what they are trying to accomplish right now.

They are on their way to being a good team again if they don't go the route they used to and sign every guy to big money thinking he's going to resurrect the team. The way they are doing it now is the way to do it. Get young talented prospects and then add FA once the team looks like it's going to compete.

That's exactly what TB did and look at them now. There was no spending huge money on a big name FA. That's been the problem with I think every big market is they think that buying these players leads to wins. There is so much pressure on them to win that ownership feels pressed to make big moves to please the fanbase. I applaud Toronto for doing it the right way for once. I think that it scares other fans that they are finally doing it the right way.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I'm okay with Stamkos signing in TB at 8.5m because the number isn't outrageous, but at the same time, the Leafs did dodge a bullet here. I was never convinced that they were going to hand Stamkos a blank cheque, mostly because he's not really a Babcock-type player.

Stamkos is what he is. He's not what he used to be. It's good for TB to keep the face of the franchise at a somewhat reasonable price, but I still don't believe he would ever have been able to meet the expectations that would have been put on him by Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad