Speculation: Stamkos Ask from Toronto was 14M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I am sure a lot of teams would have been very happy to get Stamkos for 8.5M. We were very fortunate to be able to keep him and now let's go win THE CUP!!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm pretty sure that some tbay fans still think that about him. I recall a time when most wouldn't even sign Stamkos for 10mil since it'd hurt the extensions handed to the young core players on RFA contracts.

Considering how Yzerman didn't budge from the original 8.5 offer, I'm guessing we're not alone in that assessment.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
not surprising... some teams have to pay more to get top players in order to land them

While i agree with the sentiment, 14 million is insane. I get the Leafs are not great, but they are set up for some serious improvement in the next couple of years. I don't begrudge Stamkos for sticking with Tampa...it's the safe thing to do, but if he truly asked for 14 million, then he's out of his mind. Even the 8.5 Tampa gave him is going to create cap problems there...how is any team going to give one player 14 million? Now, i know the answer is going to be "that's his way of not playing for Toronto", well, asking for ludicrous money wasn't necessary, he could have listened to the Leafs offer and politely declined. It still would have served the purpose, it shows he's listening to other offers and thus forcing Tampa's hand.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Remember when people were saying that it was a done deal that he was going to sign with the Leafs? I mean how did anybody ever think he would want to leave TB a team that has been in the ECF the last two years and is still very young to a team that is still rebuilding? Even though I think TB could have done well without him I still like him coming back. I just want to see him win a cup with TB. He's been here for the bad days. He deserves to be here for the good.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Did he even negotiate with Boston? That should speak volumes of what he thinks of the Bruins then :laugh:

He had no intention to play anywhere but Tampa.

He used other teams (especially Toronto) as a negotiating tool to extort more from Tampa.

When Tampa fans were convinced he wasn't signing back with them most of them said "he sucks" player x y and z are better than him, we don't really need him, good riddance blah blah blah.

Yzerman (one of the leagues best GM's) never budged and he went back to Tampa with his tail between his legs.

Say what you want about Zach Parise and Ryan Suter but those two have more integrity in their little fingers than Stamkos has in his whole body.

I like Tampa but hope they never win a cup with Stamkos. And yes Tampa fans are right...Johnson is a better player.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I really do not believe he would ask 14 million from anyone. I highly doubt this is true. The # is just too high. *Maybe* 12, but 14? Nah.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Remember when people were saying that it was a done deal that he was going to sign with the Leafs? I mean how did anybody ever think he would want to leave TB a team that has been in the ECF the last two years and is still very young to a team that is still rebuilding? Even though I think TB could have done well without him I still like him coming back. I just want to see him win a cup with TB. He's been here for the bad days. He deserves to be here for the good.

Because he went way longer to sign his extension than any other soon to be UFA star in years?
Don't kid yourself. He really did play with the idea of leaving. He signed right before July 1st.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Stammer wasn't going to the Leafs regardless. Why would a 26yr old without a cup leave a team that just had a decent run in the playoffs and has a very good mature roster to go to a total rebuild? Makes no sense unless he asks for and receives an outrageous amount of money to compensate for playing his peak years with a team that wont make playoffs for a while. So I would tend to think the rumor listed above probably has some truth to it.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
This thread is just full of people subtly slamming the Leafs, it's quite comical. :laugh:

Never change, HF.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Stammer wasn't going to the Leafs regardless. Why would a 26yr old without a cup leave a team that just had a decent run in the playoffs and has a very good mature roster to go to a total rebuild? Makes no sense unless he asks for and receives an outrageous amount of money to compensate for playing his peak years with a team that wont make playoffs for a while. So I would tend to think the rumor listed above probably has some truth to it.

Why would he wait until June 30th to sign with Tampa if it is all sunshine and rainbows? And why would Stammer bother to meet with the Leafs and other teams?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Why would he wait until June 30th to sign with Tampa if it is all sunshine and rainbows? And why would Stammer bother to meet with the Leafs and other teams?

$$$$$$
Why not try to milk the cow for 14mill? It is an unreasonable ask but why not do it just to see what happens and go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
This thread is just full of people subtly slamming the Leafs, it's quite comical. :laugh:

Never change, HF.

When a large part of a fanbase tells you for months that Stamkos is yours if you want him you tend to get crap when it doesn't happen. It sucks for those that weren't a part of that for sure though.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
I'd be surprised if current Leafs management even offered $8.5 million per for Stamkos.

This is a cap league, and signing overpriced top tier UFA's is counterproductive in the long run.

As for the rumored $14 ask by the Stamkos camp, I don't believe it for a minute.

Knowing Lou, it's more likely the Leafs low balled him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad