Rumor: St. Louis trying to move salary/Will likely trade Kevin Shattenkirk

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Seems to me it's that or acquire a prospect center that would potentially resolve your center woes down the road

...how long do you see your window being open? Most of your core guys aren't that old ~ is a retool a pretty viable option? :)

The window is the Pietrangelo/Tarasenko core.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Seems to me it's that or acquire a prospect center that would potentially resolve your center woes down the road

...how long do you see your window being open? Most of your core guys aren't that old ~ is a retool a pretty viable option? :)

The last of the old core left with Backes. Our current core is just now entering their prime i.e., Tarasenko, Petro, Schwartz, Parayko, and Fabbri (still young, but I'd consider him part of this core). We knew going into this year that it was a step back with the loss of our veterans, but we are in good shape cap-wise this offseason and in a good position to make some moves to shore up our core. Our draft pick looks to be mid first round or better and we have the pieces to get some more first round picks. Couple that with the cap space to get some good pieces off season and we will be up and running again next year.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
The window is the Pietrangelo/Tarasenko core.

The last of the old core left with Backes. Our current core is just now entering their prime i.e., Tarasenko, Petro, Schwartz, Parayko, and Fabbri (still young, but I'd consider him part of this core). We knew going into this year that it was a step back with the loss of our veterans, but we are in good shape cap-wise this offseason and in a good position to make some moves to shore up our core. Our draft pick looks to be mid first round or better and we have the pieces to get some more first round picks. Couple that with the cap space to get some good pieces off season and we will be up and running again next year.

Thanks guys, that makes sense. What would you assess as your biggest areas of weakness that need shoring up moving forward? Centers, right? And TruBlu, what are some of these trade chips you're referencing? (For example, I assume if you're still trying to remain competitive, a guy like JayBo is off-limits... unless some of your LHD guys in-house are ready to step in)

And one last random question, because I'm a dork who could read about and/or discuss hockey for hours :D What do you reckon becomes of a guy like Jori Lehtera? Ride out his contract? Gamble on trading him for another cap dump type player? Trade with heavy retention? Buyout? Bribe Vegas to take? ...I guess there's no one holding a gun to your head forcing you to move him, and like you said, you're in pretty good shape with the cap, but what if you *are* in on a Duchene-type player and could use the space (just as an example)?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

The window is Parayko (age 23), Tarasenko (age 25), Schwartz (age 24), Petro (age 27). Parayko already is a #1 D-Man IMO so we can weather some slight aging from Petro.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Thanks guys, that makes sense. What would you assess as your biggest areas of weakness that need shoring up moving forward? Centers, right? And TruBlu, what are some of these trade chips you're referencing? (For example, I assume if you're still trying to remain competitive, a guy like JayBo is off-limits... unless some of your LHD guys in-house are ready to step in)

And one last random question, because I'm a dork who could read about and/or discuss hockey for hours :D What do you reckon becomes of a guy like Jori Lehtera? Ride out his contract? Gamble on trading him for another cap dump type player? Trade with heavy retention? Buyout? Bribe Vegas to take? ...I guess there's no one holding a gun to your head forcing you to move him, and like you said, you're in pretty good shape with the cap, but what if you *are* in on a Duchene-type player and could use the space (just as an example)?

The dream with Lehtera is to get Vegas to take him. His contract is bad but not long-term crippling. It's just two more years. Worst case scenario we can ride it out. I don't see the Blues buying him out, and I'm not sure there is much point in trading him for a different bad contract.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
With the news today on Fabbri, there should be no doubt that Shattenkirk is moved. Sooner the better

My thought as well.

Shatt has to be traded for something. Losing both Backes- Shatt in a year for nothing would be brutal.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't. Others might.
If we trade Nylander it should be for a similarly aged dman.

+1 not a chance i do that, i would just wait if he doesnt sign and trade with another team or move on if he does. /the dman nylander would be traded for (i dont really want him traded at all) would be 25 and under preferably 22-23

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Forget this "sign and trade" fantasy. Whats his price as a pure rental?
*no conditional crap if he signs, plays in the final, rides a unicorn crap either. Just a rental

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Forget this "sign and trade" fantasy. Whats his price as a pure rental?
*no conditional crap if he signs, plays in the final, rides a unicorn crap either. Just a rental

Ladd got a 1st + Dano (former 1st Rounder).
Vermette got a 1st.
Yandle (+ a 4th, and an AHL DMan) got John Moore, Anthony Duclair, a 2nd, and a lottery protected 1st.

Shattenkirk absolutely warrants a 1st plus a solid prospect as a rental.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

Not really. A minor retool yeah, but nothing extreme. Blues have two players who are near the top of their positions (Tarasenko and Pietrangelo) with guys like Parayko and Fabbri probably entering their prime over the next 2 years (tough to say with Parayko, he's a big guy so he should be a late prime player but the way he plays is kind of a young players game). They NEED to find a top center and a top 4 LHD who isn't one dimensional (LHD are all pathetic with the puck). There isn't a real solution in net, can't pay Allen that salary AND bring in another goalie, going to have to hope that he figures it out with Brodeur/Ty or someone in the system surprises over the next couple years.

They had the assets to do this but now it's going to be difficult to get players like that without Shattenkirk value.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
As a Blues fan I would be interested in Kaspari Kapanen as the main piece coming back. Say Kapanen and a 2nd, that doable?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Toronto would have to add to make that happen and not a small add either in my opinion.

It depends on what you have in mind for the Leafs add. From your statement I'd say big pass.
While it's true we need D, we are also not a 30th place team. We can look for a tier down option and keep Nylander. Improve the 3-4-5-6 guys if need be.
The only way Nylander gets moved is for a similar aged RHD of equal projected value.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
d
It depends on what you have in mind for the Leafs add. From your statement I'd say big pass.
While it's true we need D, we are also not a 30th place team. We can look for a tier down option and keep Nylander. Improve the 3-4-5-6 guys if need be.
The only way Nylander gets moved is for a similar aged RHD of equal projected value.

Which is why it's pointless to discuss Parayko or Nylander. The Blues won't pay a premium for Nylander and obviously Toronto would want Parayko instead of Shattenkirk.

However, if the Blues ask for Kapanen + a 2nd for Shattenkirk that would be much more palatable from a Toronto perspective I would imagine. Basically a rental price that has even better value for the Leafs if they can lock him up long-term. And all without touching the big 3 of Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Would Leafs fans trade William Nylander fpr Kevin Shattenkirk locked up 7 x 7?

Absolutely not. I like Shattenkirk but to me he's a #3. We see Nylander as a future #1 center or 1B center behind Matthews. We could do better than Shattenkirk if we're trading Nylander, which hopefully we won't be. Still not sure why our media hates the kid and wants him gone. Keep in mind though, these are the same people who wanted Kessel gone and have Clarkson as his replacement. Or said how we should have dealt Kadri for Sam Gagner. Or call Reimers mother when he's out with a concussion. I could go on for an hour.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
As a Blues fan I would be interested in Kaspari Kapanen as the main piece coming back. Say Kapanen and a 2nd, that doable?
Value is probably fair but Toronto is just not going to trade their #1 prospect for Shatt, if he has interest coming here then we'll pursue him in FA.

If we're trading assets for a D with term, someone like Manson/Trouba/Tanev make more sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad