Rumor: St. Louis trying to move salary/Will likely trade Kevin Shattenkirk

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
In discussion about St. Louis and its recent struggles on HNIC, Elliotte Friedman mentioned that he heard that St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong is trying to some salary in order to make a move going forward.

It was also said that after losing David Backes as an UFA last summer, that St. Louis doesn't want to go that route again and will likely trade him before the deadline. Friedman suggested Shattenkirk for Ben Bishop.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If Armstrong trades Shattenkirk for Bishop then he's an idiot. This team isn't a contender, move Shattenkirk for futures

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I'm certain Shattenkirk is going to be traded by the deadline, you don't let an asset like that walk for nothing.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Who would they trade? Looking at their cap situation the only bad contract they have is Allen, and he's not even that bad. Stasny is overpaid but expiring next season.

I guess Florida would be willing to take Bergland, Perron, or Stasny (some salary retained though) but would they trade those guys along with futures for lesser futures?

I've heard talk of St. Louis making moves to reboot by selling off guys for future assets, but teams that are looking to "move salary" are usually in win now mode and are willing to give up futures to shed cap.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well we let Yandle walk for nothing.... haha

Rangers didn't have a replacement for Yandle. Blues have Parayko ready to fill Shattenkirk's spot.

Yes, I know Rangers had Skjei, but he didn't have the experience and NHL success Parayko does right now.

Honestly, I don't see how it gets done unless the team trading for Shattekirk is all-in this year or Shattenkirk is willing to just forgo free agency and sign with a team he's never played for. I would be very surprised if the latter happens, especially just picturing myself in Shattenkirk's shoes.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I'm certain Shattenkirk is going to be traded by the deadline, you don't let an asset like that walk for nothing.

You don't trade a good player like that when your in the playoff picture that is saying I am throwing away the towel not good to say that to your team and their fans.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
that is the catch 22

I can see a team that thinks they can win this year giving stuff up for him--but bubble teams might be hesitant to give a lot up only to see him head to say Boston July 1st

There are only two teams in the NHL that are legitimately out of the playoff picture right now. The Islanders are last in the East, but are still only five points out of a wildcard spot. This is how the NHL is now, where every team is essentially still a playoff contender.

There are so many buyers, and not enough sellers, so this could bode well for a potential Shattenkirk deal.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
IMO (and not just because I'm a fan) I believe sooner or later he's destined for the Rangers anyway..

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
You don't trade a good player like that when your in the playoff picture that is saying I am throwing away the towel not good to show that to your team and their fans.

Honestly, who cares?

Florida is throwing in the towel and people are saying its the smart thing to do. Most teams' fans don't even complain when they're openly tanking from the start of the season.

This "win to be a noble sportsman" nonsense is what fuels the idiocy of so many NHL front offices today and we see the results of perpetual mediocrity in teams like Vancouver which frustrates everybody.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
what would they be looking for for shattenkirk? Futures??

Blues need to re-tool. I think the loss of key players from last year caught the team unexpectedly short of talent. This year will be a lottery pick year. The more young talent we can acquire, the quicker they can get back into the playoff hunt.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If they just let Shattenkirk walk I'm gonna say it's time for a new GM. Need to manage assets better.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
You don't trade a good player like that when your in the playoff picture that is saying I am throwing away the towel not good to say that to your team and their fans.

We're about to be out of the playoff picture with the way the team is currently playing. If they don't like it then maybe they shouldn't be ******** the bed night after night

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Honestly, who cares?

Florida is throwing in the towel and people are saying its the smart thing to do. Most teams' fans don't even complain when they're openly tanking from the start of the season.

This "win to be a noble sportsman" nonsense is what fuels the idiocy of so many NHL front offices today and we see the results of perpetual mediocrity in teams like Vancouver which frustrates everybody.

If I was a player for a team in a playoff spot and they trade a good player saying we are throwing away the towel I wouldn't be happy. You don't want to do that to your players and to any fans who want to see the team make the playoffs.

Florida is out of playoff position unlike the Blues and their #1C is hurt.

Jeffro

Oct 20, 2007
The Blues shedding salary only makes sense in two contexts:

1. Shattenkirk for futures
2. Dumping Allen to someone who thinks they can turn him around

If it's 2, then it would make more sense to sign for and extend Bishop.

I guess he could also be talking about someone like Lehtera or Bouwmeester, but I don't have any idea who would want to pay for them.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If I was a player for a team in a playoff spot and they trade a good player saying we are throwing away the towel I wouldn't be happy. You don't want to do that to your players and to any fans who want to see the team make the playoffs.

and that's why the Rangers got knocked out and only received a 4th and 6th rounder in return for Yandle..

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Who would they trade? Looking at their cap situation the only bad contract they have is Allen, and he's not even that bad. Stasny is overpaid but expiring next season.

I guess Florida would be willing to take Bergland, Perron, or Stasny (some salary retained though) but would they trade those guys along with futures for lesser futures?

I've heard talk of St. Louis making moves to reboot by selling off guys for future assets, but teams that are looking to "move salary" are usually in win now mode and are willing to give up futures to shed cap.

Lehterä.

If they just let Shattenkirk walk I'm gonna say it's time for a new GM. Need to manage assets better.

Armstrong isn't very good at asset management at the best of times.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Should've dealt him to Boston in the draft for the 14th overall instead of trying to pile more on top of it

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There are only two teams in the NHL that are legitimately out of the playoff picture right now. The Islanders are last in the East, but are still only five points out of a wildcard spot. This is how the NHL is now, where every team is essentially still a playoff contender.

There are so many buyers, and not enough sellers, so this could bode well for a potential Shattenkirk deal.

But the problem is how much is a team willing to give up for a player who will leave on July 1st

The Shattenkirk for Hall was a done deal--but Shattenkirk was not willing to consider or talk about a new contract--If a team can get his name on a contract they will be willing give up more--but as a pure rental how many teams does Shattenkirk put over the top?

It is not just about team being out of the playoffs--but teams having a legit shot

it is about asset management

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We're about to be out of the playoff picture with the way the team is currently playing. If they don't like it then maybe they shouldn't be ******** the bed night after night

Sure they aren't playing well right now but that could change and if still in playoff picture at trade deadline you shouldn't be trading him and throwing away the towel.

and that's why the Rangers got knocked out and only received a 4th and 6th rounder in return for Yandle..

And? You don't throw away the towel when your in playoff position that is a bad message to send. I get it some people would like to get a pick and a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad