Rumor: St. Louis trying to move salary/Will likely trade Kevin Shattenkirk

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I would trade the Oilers 1st(probably 18-22 range) and a prospect not named Puljujarvi,Benson, or C.Jones for Shattenkirk as a rental. No way he re-signs in Edmonton

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would trade the Oilers 1st(probably 18-22 range) and a prospect not named Puljujarvi,Benson, or C.Jones for Shattenkirk as a rental. No way he re-signs in Edmonton

I disagree. I think there's about a 10-15% chance he signs here UFA if we don't rent him, if not less. If we trade for him, we probably have a 50-60% chance of signing him, if not more. I think he prefers to go out east but he's flexible. There was a source someone posted here that supports this, which could be negotiation tactic but I don't think so.

If he is as good here as I think he'd be, he may want to stay here just because the fit is so good. If he never tries us out, then we only got the McDavid factor on our side.

I'm definitely in favour of trading for him, partly because I have very little faith that we will be able to find someone like him later on. I also don't think Green is available. I don't think Colorado moves Barrie either.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
If our season lives and dies with Fabbri there never should have been any doubt.

It's not that the season always did or necessarily lives or dies with Fabbri, it's the combination of all the factors: current place in the standings, current and recent performance of goaltending and forwards, Fabbri's injury, Shattenkirk's contract status, etc. The Blues definitely still can make the playoffs and I hope they do, but I don't think that should be management's only or even primary concern right now. Can't be buyers and can't lose Shattenkirk for nothing.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
It's not that the season always did or necessarily lives or dies with Fabbri, it's the combination of all the factors: current place in the standings, current and recent performance of goaltending and forwards, Fabbri's injury, Shattenkirk's contract status, etc. The Blues definitely still can make the playoffs and I hope they do, but I don't think that should be management's only or even primary concern right now. Can't be buyers and can't lose Shattenkirk for nothing.

This all makes sense, especially from the perspective of a blues fan, but if the Blues can make the playoffs then they should be buyers. If they're going to lose shattenkirk for nothing anyway, they should be buyers. If they trade shattenkirk, they can be buyers about it.

Of course, they could keep on being the same blues and continue to half rebuild and not get close to cups... and the fanbase will continue to complain (not saying you're complaining) and beg for things to happen that actually happen and no one will ever admit they are all part of the entire monster.

As long as they keep Berglund, the blues are still buyers.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Would Leafs fans trade William Nylander fpr Kevin Shattenkirk locked up 7 x 7?

probably not. Nylander is pretty much untouchable.

doesnt really make sense to swap a 20 year old star rookie to add a 27 year old offensive dman. If shattenkirk really wants to play here they just make a run at him during the off season.

if the leafs cant upgrade their D using JVR/Bracco/Kapanen/Picks etc, They likely just take foote/valimaki/hague and hope they get at least one top 4 out of that player, Nielsen and Dermott

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
This all makes sense, especially from the perspective of a blues fan, but if the Blues can make the playoffs then they should be buyers. If they're going to lose shattenkirk for nothing anyway, they should be buyers. If they trade shattenkirk, they can be buyers about it.

Of course, they could keep on being the same blues and continue to half rebuild and not get close to cups... and the fanbase will continue to complain (not saying you're complaining) and beg for things to happen that actually happen and no one will ever admit they are all part of the entire monster.

As long as they keep Berglund, the blues are still buyers.

What players can the Blues add between now and the deadline to make themselves contenders, and what will they have to give up to get that done? Is it possible or even likely that what they'll have to give up just to make the playoffs this season will hurt their chances over the next three years?

Because they're working on a 3 year window. Pietrangelo is signed for three more seasons. They probably sign him after that, but that has to be their operating time frame. They aren't going to be terrible at any time between now and then, and a full rebuild is ridiculously out of the question.

So what's the move? How do they become the best team they can be during the next three seasons? Maximize assets to address their biggest needs. Trading Berglund for mid-round picks or long-shot prospects will not do that unless it's part of saving salary to use elsewhere or they specifically use those picks in trades to acquire a replacement. It's possible they'll do that and it'll work out, but it's not part of what makes them buyers or sellers this season.

Shattenkirk, on the other hand, is a luxury player for the Blues behind Pietrangelo and Parayko. He's going to hit the market for so much money that the Blues can't keep him. That doesn't mean they are necessarily going to lose him for nothing, that just means they need to trade him to acquire good assets to use to address needs during the next 3 seasons.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
What players can the Blues add between now and the deadline to make themselves contenders, and what will they have to give up to get that done? Is it possible or even likely that what they'll have to give up just to make the playoffs this season will hurt their chances over the next three years?

Because they're working on a 3 year window. Pietrangelo is signed for three more seasons and Tarasenko for four. They probably keep both guys beyond that, but that has to be their operating time frame. They aren't going to be terrible at any time between now and then, and a full rebuild is ridiculously out of the question.

So what's the move? How do they become the best team they can be during the next three seasons? Maximize assets to address their biggest needs. Trading Berglund for mid-round picks or long-shot prospects will not do that unless it's part of saving salary to use elsewhere or they specifically use those picks in trades to acquire a replacement. It's possible they'll do that and it'll work out, but it's not part of what makes them buyers or sellers this season.

Shattenkirk, on the other hand, is a luxury player for the Blues behind Pietrangelo and Parayko. He's going to hit the market for so much money that the Blues can't keep him. That doesn't mean they are necessarily going to lose him for nothing, that just means they need to trade him to acquire good assets to use to address needs during the next 3-4 seasons.
I see that we are on the same page Rum. The trades we make the next couple years need a high degree of strategy if we want to get better.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
You have to think that losing Fabbri for the season is going to effect the buyer vs seller calculations for the Blues going forward. Not that I follow the Blues closely, so I could easily be way off base on this, but I really think they'd be best off trading Shattenkirk this year for the best return they can get. Even if they do make the playoffs, they don't seem like legit cup contenders. I'd think that getting useful and valuable futures for Shattenkirk would be a much better use of assets than keeping him just so the team can lose in the 1st round.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

Because they're working on a 3 year window. Pietrangelo is signed for three more seasons and Tarasenko for four. They probably keep both guys beyond that, but that has to be their operating time frame. They aren't going to be terrible at any time between now and then, and a full rebuild is ridiculously out of the question.

Shattenkirk, on the other hand, is a luxury player for the Blues behind Pietrangelo and Parayko. He's going to hit the market for so much money that the Blues can't keep him. That doesn't mean they are necessarily going to lose him for nothing, that just means they need to trade him to acquire good assets to use to address needs during the next 3-4 seasons.

6 more years for Tarasenko after this one.

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
My point is if the Fabbri injury makes us sellers we should have already been sellers(because of those other factors).

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I disagree. I think there's about a 10-15% chance he signs here UFA if we don't rent him, if not less. If we trade for him, we probably have a 50-60% chance of signing him, if not more. I think he prefers to go out east but he's flexible. There was a source someone posted here that supports this, which could be negotiation tactic but I don't think so.

If he is as good here as I think he'd be, he may want to stay here just because the fit is so good. If he never tries us out, then we only got the McDavid factor on our side.

I'm definitely in favour of trading for him, partly because I have very little faith that we will be able to find someone like him later on. I also don't think Green is available. I don't think Colorado moves Barrie either.

Agreed---if the Oilers make a deepish run, I think Shatty would consider re-signing.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
My point is if the Fabbri injury makes us sellers we should have already been sellers(because of those other factors).

I don't see why an event like Fabbri's injury can't tip the scale that was pretty well-balanced up to this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad