Value of: St. Louis getting its first round pick from Buffalo

Black and Gold 11

Apr 1, 2015
Schenn + Edmundson

If the Blues are blowing it up, that means trading guys with talent who aren’t working for them

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Botts has clearly stated that he has no reason to trade one of their 4 1sts over the couple years unless it is for a young prospect that fits their timeline. If the Blues' pick this year is Top 10 then they can keep it, but next year's pick is unprotected. I think the Sabres will take their chances with an unprotected pick. I don't think the Blues are better than Winnipeg, Nashville, Colorado, Minnesota or Dallas.

Last edited:

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Botts I don't think the Blues are better than Winnipeg, Nashville, Colorado, Minnesota or Dallas.
I'm guessing your talking about next season ? Now this time last season would you have put Buffalo in a play-off spot in dec 18 , that's correct you wouldn't & nobody would have .
Now you may be right but alternatively you may be wrong , that's the great thing about the future especially when dealing with sport . If i'm discounting the fact that i'm actually replying to Nostradamus then i apologize lol.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Berglund cannot be traded back to St. Louis for a full year after he was traded away.

This is not true.

There used to be a rule like this prior to the 04-05 lockout related to the old waiver draft to keep teams from circumventing roster limits, but it no longer exists. There is a current rule prohibiting teams who match RFA offer sheets from trading those players for a year, to prevent them from matching an offer sheet and then flipping the player immediately.

There is not a restriction like that on typical trades.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
Never seen that rule before. By all means not saying it’s not true. I never knew you couldn’t pick up a stick of your team mate off the ice that isn’t broken and not get a penalty.

That was a weird one to call especially after, he stared at O'reilly twice on the same shift get tripped, & not call either one of those .

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'm guessing your talking about next season ? Now this time last season would you have put Buffalo in a play-off spot in dec 18 , that's correct you wouldn't & nobody would have .
Now you may be right but alternatively you may be wrong , that's the great thing about the future especially when dealing with sport . If i'm discounting the fact that i'm actually replying to Nostradamus then i apologize lol.

I can be wrong, but that's my opinion. The Blues are slow with aging vets on bad contracts. Their prospects are decent, but overrated. They should tear it down and start over. I like the Blues and their fans. They deserve better. If they continue on this track the Sabres might have a valuable pick.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
I can be wrong, but that's my opinion. The Blues are slow with aging vets on bad contracts. Their prospects are decent, but overrated. They should tear it down and start over. I like the Blues and their fans. They deserve better. If they continue on this track the Sabres might have a valuable pick.
That's fair even though you don't even understand what i'm saying , everyone is entitled to their opinion .
Just for your future knowledge the only vets on bad contracts next year as you say are :
Alex steen 2yr at 5,75
Tyler Bozak 2yr at 5.0 , now you could include David Perron 3yr at 4.0
The Blues core is mid 20's not ageing as you put it . No GM in history has torn down a mid 20's core & if Armstrong did attempt to he'd lose his job . How do we deserve better ? Please enlighten me ?
It's part of being a fan you take the ups & downs in sport , being a Buffalo fan you should realize that . I realize i said everyone has a right to an opinion but when that opinion has been proven by someone else to be totally false & ridiculous then maybe they should revise their opinion or even better check their facts before posting on a site otherwise they could be made to look a little dumb , don't you think .
Anyway no harm done kid & i wish you & your Sabre brethren success for the upcoming season .

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Unless Buffalo gets a top 6 forward/top 3 defenseman back with term, it makes 0 sense to trade away that pick, even in slight hopes that it will move up to top 3

...The Sabres ARE NOT going for it all. This is a growing year. NO REASON to give up future assets. Enough already!... PEOPLE! Get this straight. Buffalo is in NO PLACE to give up future assets. Just stop.

Rangers can broker here.
Haven't worked out the follow through entirely, so be patient for a few days pls.
However, I can see Rangers acquiring Blues 2019 1st + prospect Oskaari Laaksonen [I may be thinking of another guy, but I think this is him] for Lias Andersson.
That checks off multiple boxes.
3 years elc, immediate availability, not used enuf to change up or down from 7OA draft position, projected 2C with 1C upside, immediately adds to pivot depth.
Buf, current best case scenario, is St Louis finishes/selects 11OA, they good a good prospect [unknown at this pt], then have to develop and wait. If pick is top 10, then have to wait a whole year, and Blues might rebound and finish much better next season.

However, getting the pick, enables NY to offer not only return of a 1st, but full flexibility again as to picks this year and next.

Not ready to finalize everything now, but see a big deal w/Blues and Canes and Rangers as possible, with the pick going back to St. Louis.

When I am ready to sketch more fully mid week, expect to post a thread then connecting all the dots.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
FYI ..Santa claus isn’t real...

I don’t see them rebounding to be a playoff team next year. Not saying the pick will be top3 next year but it could be top 10.

You could also finish 9th or 10th pre lottery and get pushed to 11th then the pick goes to us.

Now if you could set up a mob hit to target Schueffle, Johansson, and MacKinnon with broken legs during the 19-20 season then your team could have a better team.

If the Blues are drafting outside the top ten, it's still a brutal trade for ROR. All three assets acquired are bottom of the team in their quality on the ice. You guys really want this to look like the Duchene trade and it won't. Two teams with entirely different trajectories. Ottawa bought high, St. Louis bought low. Thanks for giving the Blues your best player.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If the Blues are drafting outside the top ten, it's still a brutal trade for ROR. All three assets acquired are bottom of the team in their quality on the ice. You guys really want this to look like the Duchene trade and it won't. Two teams with entirely different trajectories. Ottawa bought high, St. Louis bought low. Thanks for giving the Blues your best player.

when did we trade eichel or dahlin?

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
when did we trade eichel or dahlin?

Ryan O'Reilly was and is better than Eichel and at the time of the trade Dahlin hadn't even taken the ice yet. As of the past few years it's been ROR keeping Buffalo from being a joke

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Ryan O'Reilly was and is better than Eichel and at the time of the trade Dahlin hadn't even taken the ice yet. As of the past few years it's been ROR keeping Buffalo from being a joke

At the end ror made buffalo seem like a joke...and eichel was better from the second he stepped foot on nhl ice....and I like ror and hated the trade...

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

You lose all credibility claiming Ryan O’Reilly is better than Eichel. He’s having a great year, let’s see where Ryan settles.

The thread was not about O’Reilly anyway.

The problem with the Blues is there are not top third NHL team even if all is going well. Maybe bottom of the third with some retooling.

Anything can happen in playoffs so I can see Blues doing a retool to try to get into playoffs with decent position but the team has some aging vets now and I can also see a good argument to tear it down.

But, and the reason for the thread, no way you tear it down with an unprotected 2020 gone.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
You lose all credibility claiming Ryan O’Reilly is better than Eichel. He’s having a great year, let’s see where Ryan settles.

The thread was not about O’Reilly anyway.

The problem with the Blues is there are not top third NHL team even if all is going well. Maybe bottom of the third with some retooling.

Anything can happen in playoffs so I can see Blues doing a retool to try to get into playoffs with decent position but the team has some aging vets now and I can also see a good argument to tear it down.

But, and the reason for the thread, no way you tear it down with an unprotected 2020 gone.
Eichel is criminally underrated & though i love O'Reilly on my Blues he is definitely not superior to the outstanding talent that Jack Eichel has in abundance . Buffalo are not a joke either & if that guy is a Blues fan then i apologize on behalf of Blues fans because we can all disagree & be cordial about at the same time . It's sport at the end of the day & rudeness & insults shouldn't be tolerated .

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I think there is still a decent chance that buffalo gets the St. Louis 1st this year.

The Blues are sitting 6th last right now, but there is a group of about 7 teams ahead of them that they are only 2-5 points behind (Florida, Carolina, Ottawa, NYR, Vancouver, Arizona, Detriot).

St. Louis most likely isn’t making the playoffs but they could easily end up passing some of those teams in the standings and give Buffalo a pick in the 11-15 range this year.

Reactions: Weiss1604

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I think there is still a decent chance that buffalo gets the St. Louis 1st this year.

The Blues are sitting 6th last right now, but there is a group of about 7 teams ahead of them that they are only 2-5 points behind (Florida, Carolina, Ottawa, NYR, Vancouver, Arizona, Detriot).

St. Louis most likely isn’t making the playoffs but they could easily end up passing some of those teams in the standings and give Buffalo a pick in the 11-15 range this year.

I agree. Blues could easily have a better second half. There is no way they are this bad. Tarasenko alone could lift the team. But they trade two or three key players and things could get ugly

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Buffali after picking top 10 the past 6 drafts was going to break through and turn it around.

For whatever reason it didn’t happen in 16/17 a year after Eichel had a season under his belt.

They had an 81 pt season so you think they take another step but they regressed. The thing they were missing was confidence.

St. Louis is older. They are younger on D with 4 25 or younger. They are olde at forward and doesn’t have much in their system in forwards.

The other teams in their division are also stronger than them now and I see it being that way next season.

Buffalo was in this situation before in 2014 when they traded vanes to the islanders for their 1st in 2014 top 10 protected which it became in 2014 thus a 2015 unprotected. They made some moves then made playoffs and it was at 21 in 2015 draft.

Islanders had a yong core of players in their mud 29s in a weaker division.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Personally, I don’t believe the Blues are anywhere near this bad unless they really tear it down and do a rebuild. The pick is top 10 protected and will bounce to next year.

The incentive for Sabres to deal it back is Blues could easily bounce back and be a playoff team in 2019-20 given talent there with a better mix and decent goalie. Sabres could be stuck with 22-25 pick.

Blues might want it back because then they can look to future clean and really break up roster. Finishing bottom 5 is one thing, doing it without a pick is another.

What could Sabres pry from current roster? I’m begging not to turn this into an O’Reilly discussion — that trade is over.

Alex Nylander
Sabres 2019 1st
Blues 2020 1st

for

Pietrangelo

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
*Nick Young confused face*

Eichel is playing like a Hart candidate. Stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00