Value of: St. Louis getting its first round pick from Buffalo

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Personally, I don’t believe the Blues are anywhere near this bad unless they really tear it down and do a rebuild. The pick is top 10 protected and will bounce to next year.

The incentive for Sabres to deal it back is Blues could easily bounce back and be a playoff team in 2019-20 given talent there with a better mix and decent goalie. Sabres could be stuck with 22-25 pick.

Blues might want it back because then they can look to future clean and really break up roster. Finishing bottom 5 is one thing, doing it without a pick is another.

What could Sabres pry from current roster? I’m begging not to turn this into an O’Reilly discussion — that trade is over.
If they finish bottom 5 they have a first rounder because it's top 10 protected.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I don't think a trade will happen between these to clubs again. Botterill would view a new trade as part of the O'Reilly trade. He's not going to overpay for Blues player after he got what is viewed as an underwhelming return for Oreilly. That would make him look silly. So any trade for a Blues player wouldn't be for great return and the Blues would probably pass.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
How about...

To :blues

C/W Patrik Berglund ($3.85M UFA 2022)
2019 1st RND pick (STL)

To :sabres

C/W Brayden Schenn ($5.13M UFA 2020 - 25% retained = $3.85M AAV

STL gets their 1st back, and Berglund has clearly decided he doesnt want to play in WNY or Housley's system, Sabres have some need of a short-term #2C to cushion Mitts' minutes as he matures...

This is horrid asset management by Buffalo. There is zero reason to trash a future first round pick for half a year of Schenn. Zero. None. Nada. Zilch. Zippo.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Blues who are starting to show signs of much better play thanks to Larry Robinson will finish outside the top 10 and this will be a moot discussion.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Unless Buffalo gets a top 6 forward/top 3 defenseman back with term, it makes 0 sense to trade away that pick, even in slight hopes that it will move up to top 3

Reactions: normaliswear

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Give you steen for berglund. That’s about it. You can keep the pick. I’m happy with ror.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is horrid asset management by Buffalo. There is zero reason to trash a future first round pick for half a year of Schenn. Zero. None. Nada. Zilch. Zippo.

Schenn has another year left on his deal and trading 1st rounders for top-6 forwards with a year and a half left is super common.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I think a lot of people are forgetting that the pick can be deferred to next year. And the chances of the Blues having 2 bad seasons in a row are pretty slim.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Smh... How about fact checking before blindly running your mouth fella! Schenn has another year on his deal, AND it would be at 75% AAV, AND you'd be unloading an albatross in Betty... Not to toot my own horn, but that's pretty fine asset mgmt if you ask me!!!

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Smh... How about fact checking before blindly running your mouth fella! Schenn has another year on his deal, AND it would be at 75% AAV, AND you'd be unloading an albatross in Betty... Not to toot my own horn, but that's pretty fine asset mgmt if you ask me!!!

How about YOU check? If Berglund really is being a pouty child, then terminating his contract should be simple. No need to toot your horn over that, certainly. And Schenn isn't necessary. Even for a year and a half of him. PLUS, he has MUCH less team control than a first round draft pick would. PLUS, we'd have to worry about the current cap less with a draft pick instead of a player. So put your foot in your mouth and suck. Because that's what you've done here. The Sabres ARE NOT going for it all. This is a growing year. NO REASON to give up future assets. Enough already!

Schenn has another year left on his deal and trading 1st rounders for top-6 forwards with a year and a half left is super common.

Super common for teams that believe they're contending for the Cup. WHICH WE ARE NOT!

PEOPLE! Get this straight. Buffalo is in NO PLACE to give up future assets. Just stop.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
How about...

To :blues

C/W Patrik Berglund ($3.85M UFA 2022)
2019 1st RND pick (STL)

To :sabres

C/W Brayden Schenn ($5.13M UFA 2020 - 25% retained = $3.85M AAV

STL gets their 1st back, and Berglund has clearly decided he doesnt want to play in WNY or Housley's system, Sabres have some need of a short-term #2C to cushion Mitts' minutes as he matures...

Berglund cannot be traded back to St. Louis for a full year after he was traded away.

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Unless Buffalo are convinced they're contenders they obviously keep the pick , to suggest otherwise is asinine.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
How about YOU check? If Berglund really is being a pouty child, then terminating his contract should be simple. No need to toot your horn over that, certainly. And Schenn isn't necessary. Even for a year and a half of him. PLUS, he has MUCH less team control than a first round draft pick would. PLUS, we'd have to worry about the current cap less with a draft pick instead of a player. So put your foot in your mouth and suck. Because that's what you've done here. The Sabres ARE NOT going for it all. This is a growing year. NO REASON to give up future assets. Enough already .upermon for teams that believe they're contending for the Cup. WHICH WE ARE NOT!

PEOPLE! Get this straight. Buffalo is in NO PLACE to give up future assets. Just stop.
Kudos sir , you have my respect, love it when sensible , intelligent posters like yourself put down rude , over zealous posters from their own fan base . I wish this happened more often & every poster on HB should take a leaf out of your book , I know I will in the future . From an impressed Blues fan .

Last edited:
Reactions: Eichel9

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Berglund cannot be traded back to St. Louis for a full year after he was traded away.

Never seen that rule before. By all means not saying it’s not true. I never knew you couldn’t pick up a stick of your team mate off the ice that isn’t broken and not get a penalty.

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Unless Buffalo gets a top 6 forward/top 3 defenseman back with term, it makes 0 sense to trade away that pick, even in slight hopes that it will move up to top 3

This what it has to be for Sabres. Obviously, not getting a rental. It could be top 5 pick in 2020 — that was the point of the thread.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Yes it can happen for a playoff team trading a pick in the 20s.

They don’t try to do this with a pick that could be top 5.

Ottawa has done it twice with Ryan and now with a potential from aduchene.

Toronto did it doubke time in one trade fir acquiring Kessel where they traded firsts that became Seguin and Hamilton along with a pick that became Rask.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Yes it can happen for a playoff team trading a pick in the 20s.

They don’t try to do this with a pick that could be top 5.

Ottawa has done it twice with Ryan and now with a potential from aduchene.

Toronto did it doubke time in one trade fir acquiring Kessel where they traded firsts that became Seguin and Hamilton along with a pick that became Rask.

If the Blues finish in the bottom 10 and keep their pick this year, I don't see them finishing that bad next year. They will fix the Goaltending issue that has been killing them, and they will pick up $9M in cap space when Bouw and Gunner are off the books. The Blues could also look to re-coup the 2020 1st rounder from someone else at the trade deadline this year if they are looking at finishing in the bottom 10.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If the Blues finish in the bottom 10 and keep their pick this year, I don't see them finishing that bad next year. They will fix the Goaltending issue that has been killing them, and they will pick up $9M in cap space when Bouw and Gunner are off the books. The Blues could also look to re-coup the 2020 1st rounder from someone else at the trade deadline this year if they are looking at finishing in the bottom 10.

FYI ..Santa claus isn’t real...

I don’t see them rebounding to be a playoff team next year. Not saying the pick will be top3 next year but it could be top 10.

You could also finish 9th or 10th pre lottery and get pushed to 11th then the pick goes to us.

Now if you could set up a mob hit to target Schueffle, Johansson, and MacKinnon with broken legs during the 19-20 season then your team could have a better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad