Confirmed with Link: St. Louis Blues claim Penguins forward Kasperi Kapanen off of waivers

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He is a middle six guy for 3.2. 1 year isn't too bad, IMO. He will have some value at the trade deadline for scoring depth I think.

I’m with ya, but that only leaves us 6m after we sign the RFA’s and Blais and we’ll have a couple spots yet to fill.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
I’m with ya, but that only leaves us 6m after we sign the RFA’s and Blais and we’ll have a couple spots yet to fill.
Barring a tong term dman doesn’t get moved before Friday. That would really tickle my fancy as long as their name is Faulk.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My immediate reaction to this move was that I didn't like it, but it has grown on me quite a bit.

I wanted to have excess cap space to eat a bad contract or two this summer in exchange for assets, but looking at Capfriendly has convinced me that it might not be as good of a "takers" market as I was expecting.

Arizona is clearly willing to take bad contracts if the actual dollars owed are less than the cap hit and they can use it to hit the floor while cutting payroll.

Chicago has $41M in cap space and is clearly not trying to be good next year.

Anaheim owes Terry and Zegras raises, but they have $43M in space at the moment.

Not sure what Montreal wants to be next year, but (factoring in Price's LTIR contract), they have about $20M in space.

Nashville seems to have realized that a retool/rebuild is needed and they've currently got $14M in cap space.

The Sharks have $17M in space (with 9 spots to fill), but that space will drastically increase if they move Karlsson. A Karlsson deal would require them to take back some dead money and take a 'seller' of such contracts off the books.

It looks like a few teams have positioned themselves to try and weaponize cap space this summer and that could lead to the returns being a bit less than I was expecting. I'm no longer convinced that taking on $6M or $7M of dead cap is going to net a late 1st or a 2nd+3rd package. I'm not sure the lost opportunity cost is as much as I initially thought.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
My immediate reaction to this move was that I didn't like it, but it has grown on me quite a bit.

I wanted to have excess cap space to eat a bad contract or two this summer in exchange for assets, but looking at Capfriendly has convinced me that it might not be as good of a "takers" market as I was expecting.

Arizona is clearly willing to take bad contracts if the actual dollars owed are less than the cap hit and they can use it to hit the floor while cutting payroll.

Chicago has $41M in cap space and is clearly not trying to be good next year.

Anaheim owes Terry and Zegras raises, but they have $43M in space at the moment.

Not sure what Montreal wants to be next year, but (factoring in Price's LTIR contract), they have about $20M in space.

Nashville seems to have realized that a retool/rebuild is needed and they've currently got $14M in cap space.

The Sharks have $17M in space (with 9 spots to fill), but that space will drastically increase if they move Karlsson. A Karlsson deal would require them to take back some dead money and take a 'seller' of such contracts off the books.

It looks like a few teams have positioned themselves to try and weaponize cap space this summer and that could lead to the returns being a bit less than I was expecting. I'm no longer convinced that taking on $6M or $7M of dead cap is going to net a late 1st or a 2nd+3rd package. I'm not sure the lost opportunity cost is as much as I initially thought.
I think the opportunity cost is not having space to bring on a player that fills one of our major holes. I don’t think we ever could have afforded to take on a big cap hit, overpriced player with term that would have netted significant assets if we are planning to avoid a rebuild. maybe we could use some space at the next deadline to broker cap relief, but that’s not a big return (3rd to 5th round pick this deadline).

I do like Kaps game so far, but wish his cap was lower.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Hopefully this is the beginning of a Kapanen career turn around and not one of those flashes he has before disappearing a lot of Pens fans warned us about.

I recall really liking Kapanen in his draft year. He truly is quite talented. Just super inconsistent. I’ll set my expectations that he’ll remain the enigma he’s been so far and will hope he turns it around as that would be fantastic for the Blues if he does.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Excited to see how 42 works out.

18 and 89 seem to work well with him.

Good pickup. Skates well, good skills, in the right spot. I hope he excels playing with us.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think the opportunity cost is not having space to bring on a player that fills one of our major holes. I don’t think we ever could have afforded to take on a big cap hit, overpriced player with term that would have netted significant assets if we are planning to avoid a rebuild. maybe we could use some space at the next deadline to broker cap relief, but that’s not a big return (3rd to 5th round pick this deadline).

I do like Kaps game so far, but wish his cap was lower.
One of our major holes is short-term skill/production from the middle 6. It's a secondary hole to the defense, but if we're talking about competing in 2023/24 (which I'm not sure we should be), then it is a hole that needed addressing. Kap certainly isn't a lock to fill that hole, but I'm not sure that $3.2M buys you a safe-bet solution from outside the organization unless you give up a couple decent assets in a trade or give up more term than you'd like.

If you bring in a D upgrade, then you have to move 1 of the 5 well paid D out of the organization just to give one of Tucker, Rosen, Bortz, Perunovich, or other current AHL guy a spot in the every day 6 man D group. If you want 2 in the everyday lineup, then you would need to move two of the 5 well paid D. We're clearly trying to move one of the $6.5M guys, but even if we can't/don't do that, moving the two cheapest of the 5 (Leddy and Scandy) would open up $7.275M in cap space.

This group would cost $33k less than what we are currently paying our 8 man D group:

$6.5M LD-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Rosen, Bortz, Tucker ($775k), and Perunovich ($775k) rotating as the bottom pair and 2 healthy scratches

This would cost $208k less than the current 8 man D group:

$6.5M LD-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk
Scandella-Tucker ($775k)
Rosen, Perunovich ($775k)

This would cost $1.75M less than the current D group:

$8M LD-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk
Rosen-Bortz
Tucker ($775k), Perunovich ($775k)

We're going to have to subtract 1 or 2 pieces of the current top 5 D in order to upgrade the D no matter what. Doing so means that even bringing in a high paid guy as the upgrade is going to be roughly a dollar for dollar replacement from the money we already have tied up in the blueline. The $9.5M in space can all be used to fill the backup goalie spot (Hofer at $775k) and the remaining 4-5 forward spots (2-3 of which are the 12, 13th, and potentially 14th forwards).

Kap bringing that space from $12.7M to $9.5M (while also tangibly filling a middle 6 need in some capacity) isn't a ton of wasted cap IMO. And it doesn't have any opportunity cost for 2024/25 since it is off the books next summer. I'm still not wild about the move, but I wouldn't have been wild about blowing $7-8M on a stud forward and then trying to fill the 3rd line with $1M vets and ELCs either. Not being able to do that isn't a negative for me.

He's overpaid for what he's been the last couple years, but I wouldn't say it is by a wide margin. He's played at a 35 point pace over the past 2 years while averaging 13:42 a night and getting 2nd unit PP usage on a team with a wide TOI gap between the 1st and 2nd PP units. you're not getting a guy like that for under $2M in the UFA market and teams aren't giving up a guy like that making under $2M in a trade without being paid a decent asset or two. He's got 45+ point upside that would make him a bargain at the $3.2M cap hit, but even if we don't see that upside I'd say the 'dead cap' is no more than $1M. I don't see a huge opportunity cost in what else we could have brought in with that money unless we were giving up futures or giving up term that could handcuff us beyond next season.

I get what you are saying completely, but I'm still coming around to the idea that the opportunity cost of this gamble wasn't as painful as I initially felt.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedblue1223

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I really liked his game. I have been very busy so I haven’t had much time to watch, but I was curious to see how he’d look with Thomas/Buch, and I came away impressed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I come in peace and all that...

I hope Kapanen kills it for the blues. He was destroyed in Pittsburgh by Sullivan and his moronic usage. He might take a bit to deprogram the idiocy but he's a good lad. Was a big pk player in Toronto so naturally the Pens didn't use him there much if at all. Who needs to play to anyones strength? Right? Right? Best of luck to Kappy. Probably the only Pens fan that supported him.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I come in peace and all that...

I hope Kapanen kills it for the blues. He was destroyed in Pittsburgh by Sullivan and his moronic usage. He might take a bit to deprogram the idiocy but he's a good lad. Was a big pk player in Toronto so naturally the Pens didn't use him there much if at all. Who needs to play to anyones strength? Right? Right? Best of luck to Kappy. Probably the only Pens fan that supported him.
Love the guy already

Two big blocked shots, good scoring chances, shows his speed and skill, smart player. Had an ENG last night, but I'm rooting for him on every shift. Career reboots are great stories. I hope he excels here

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He has looked good so far. Compete level is high at both ends of the ice.

Of course, that’s to be expected as I’m sure being on waivers is a wake up call and he wants to make a good impression here. Hopefully he keeps it up. If he does, it’s a real nice pickup.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Kap was never the problem in Pittsburgh, he was railroaded by a coach that made him his whipping boy.

I went to their training facility 2 summers ago. After a quick workout by the squad, only Kap and Marino stayed on ice for extra work for an hour. Then Marino bailed and Kap worked another hour on his own.

I bet in the end you'll be very happy with the free gift from the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad