Confirmed with Link: St. Louis Blues claim Penguins forward Kasperi Kapanen off of waivers

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
I am hoping that this is one of those situations where he just didn't work out with PIT's system. Dude has elite speed and should work well with Thomas/Kyrou. Let's see what he's got before feeding him to the wolves.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Hey Blue Fans just want to say that yes he makes mistakes but he 100% is a NHL player and was put in a dog house with no way to get out.

Wouldn't shock me if he scores 20 goals next year.

Can play PK as well and in my opinion a middle 6 forward.
Thanks for the positive spin. I like the move. I think it’s a great add. Hopefully he gets a bigger role here and he makes a name for himself.

I am hoping that this is one of those situations where he just didn't work out with PIT's system. Dude has elite speed and should work well with Thomas/Kyrou. Let's see what he's got before feeding him to the wolves.
Right, hopefully Berube gives this guy a chance to succeed.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This pick up has and will have little consequence. No risk, all potential reward.
I’d have to disagree with there being no risk.

It’s very low risk but the risk is opportunity cost. The lost opportunity of being able to use that $3.2M in cap space better somewhere else.

I’m slightly warmer on adding Kap than I was on Saturday but I still think that $3.2M could be put to better use. Tying up that $3.2M for next season now limits some options for trades/signings this summer.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
First look at the new guy.

AE001AB7-D6C2-41AA-9EB9-686EFA0F9E65.jpeg

Saturday night heritage helmet, 90s retro gloves and pants, regular home socks…what the hell color scheme are they going for here?? :laugh:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I’d have to disagree with there being no risk.

It’s very low risk but the risk is opportunity cost. The lost opportunity of being able to use that $3.2M in cap space better somewhere else.

I’m slightly warmer on adding Kap than I was on Saturday but I still think that $3.2M could be put to better use. Tying up that $3.2M for next season now limits some options for trades/signings this summer.
This. Exactly this. It’s a gamble that the loss of cap space (and opportunity) will be lesser in value than the trade return next TDL and/or quality of play. Probably a smart gamble, but not sure I would have taken it.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Does everyone else look like that? Ha - odd
Yeah, one of the other pics on Twitter has some others in the background and they’re also wearing retro gloves and pants.

Update: just looked and they’re wearing the blue 90s retro kit next week - 3/9 vs SJ. So likely just wearing them for a couple practices so they’re at least somewhat broken in when they play that game.

But if I was Kap, I’d probably prefer to break in the new gloves I’d be wearing tomorrow night…

But they’re pros. He’ll figure it out.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Im not sure why we’d pick up him and his 3.2m salary for next year. But whatever. I hope we lose every game next year and win the lotto. 2025 is when we start getting better.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
First look at the new guy.

View attachment 658310

Saturday night heritage helmet, 90s retro gloves and pants, regular home socks…what the hell color scheme are they going for here?? :laugh:
New guy initiation, I guess. I'm guessing he came back to the locker room to find shaving cream in his shoes and his pants turned into shorts.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Im not sure why we’d pick up him and his 3.2m salary for next year. But whatever. I hope we lose every game next year and win the lotto. 2025 is when we start getting better.

He is a middle six guy for 3.2. 1 year isn't too bad, IMO. He will have some value at the trade deadline for scoring depth I think.

Reactions: Mike Liut

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I always wanted to trade for Kap back in the day when rumors were TOR was looking to move him. Now not only do we get him for no acquisition cost, but we also get a year and a half trial run without having to commit to a 3-4 year FA deal. Love the move. I have zero cap concerns with this move, DA will move someone out from the D if needed, before we lose out on any FAs were interested in.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Where did Kapanen grow up?

Ahhhh....he spent a lot of his youth in Philly.

That explains the American accent.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Kapanen was a good player for the Leafs, didn't hear ton of negative things said about him when he was entering the league. Good 3rd liner on a deep forward group and he has Grabner speed. If he, Thomas, and Kyrou can find some chemistry, that can be a dangerous rush line, but see him being used more as a complimentary player moving forward just based on how Berube mixes his lines up. Also not a bad thing to add a player who can pk and is fast. If we can change up the pk strategy, then we will have multiple breakaways from him next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad