Confirmed with Link: St. Louis Blues claim Penguins forward Kasperi Kapanen off of waivers

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
With him having a 3.2M cap hit next year, it doesn’t look like we’ll be adding any players. Full tank and rebuild mode.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
With him having a 3.2M cap hit next year, it doesn’t look like we’ll be adding any players. Full tank and rebuild mode.
I don’t see how you draw that conclusion. I think next year roster is very much in flux. But we were never going to be good next year.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don’t see how you draw that conclusion. I think next year roster is very much in flux. But we were never going to be good next year.

i guess I was thinking if we trying to acquire somebody like Meier, how would we have any money to sign him long term Because we just added 3.2M

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
i guess I was thinking if we trying to acquire somebody like Meier, how would we have any money to sign him long term Because we just added 3.2M
Fair enough. I would guess we checked in on timo to see if we could get him for price we liked. We can’t. And we moved on. I still think we end up moving guy with term so cap will work itself out.

Also I think army knows that timo was a long shot but is always interested in acquiring frontline players at good price. If someone else like timo shakes loose I expect we will try to get them too.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
giphy.gif

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Ugh my immediate reaction to this news was pretty negative. Hope I’m wrong and we can flip him for assets.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Puljujarvi is next. Army is going to build the team on draft picks and reclamation projects

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't think it's terrible to take a flyer on him. I'll agree his salary is a bit steep, but worse case scenario we can't turn his game around and we let him walk after next season. Best case scenario we rebuild his game into something that we resign to an extension and we get him in his prime years, or we can flip him at the deadline next season.

Also Doug knew he needed to get another Fin on the roster for @Ranksu after trading Mikkola

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Dude has WHEEEEEELS and has scored 20 goals before and played pk in Toronto. I remember people being a fan of him so hopefully he can come in and be a productive player. I wish he were a LW though because his speed would be useful on a line with Thomas and Kyrou.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Dude has WHEEEEEELS and has scored 20 goals before and played pk in Toronto. I remember people being a fan of him so hopefully he can come in and be a productive player. I wish he were a LW though because his speed would be useful on a line with Thomas and Kyrou.
He has played some on left wing
He can be great 2 games and disappear for the next 3 ….

Reactions: Spicy Panger

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Starting to come around to this pickup.

Losing the cap space this year and next is obviously a significant cost. However, the Blues have very few other players on the roster whose contract is up after next season. Before this move our only other rentals that could be dealt next TDL were Scandella, Bortuzzo, and Walker. If we can parlay this $3.2 million in cap space into 1+ years of top 9 play & a 2nd round pick (if everything goes well) then that's a home run. Not wild about it, but it's a decent gamble.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Because I don’t really understand this move relative to our cap, unless we have limited intention of improvement next year or there is some unforeseen game plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad