St. John's Ice Caps: 2014-15 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Very nice! :handclap:

Ben Walker with the GWG. Rogers going crazy on the broadcast. :laugh: Edit: that's Walker's first pro goal - he drew into the line-up because O'Dell and Klinger were sick. Must be a great feeling to have your first goal be a GWG in OT.

33 shot SO for Helle.

Nice Celly
@IceCapsAHL: Ben Walker, OT hero with his first pro goal. IceCaps beat @monarchshockey 1-0! http://t.co/411mFp4GLS

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
So nice for Walker, I really liked him when he was out at the Ice Plex with all the rookies.
You had to notice Walker as he was an extremely gutsy performer.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
774ce53e08.png

Sorted the AHL goaltenders for SV%..

Has one of the larger sample sizes on the year, impressive stuff Hellebuyck is doing. Especially considering we all know the team around him is less than stellar.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
774ce53e08.png

Sorted the AHL goaltenders for SV%..

Has one of the larger sample sizes on the year, impressive stuff Hellebuyck is doing. Especially considering we all know the team around him is less than stellar.

...after a bit of a lull in the latter part of December, he's started the new year in style - 2 wins and 0.960 save%.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Noteworthy, a .928 save percentage led the AHL last year - .926 would have been tied for second.

I he sustains his current pace he will likely finish within the top 5.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Imagine if he didn't win a game all season, then retired.

That would be a horrible, sad, unfortunate and somewhat pathetic story.

Thing is, though it sounds ridiculous, it's really not impossible. The Ice Caps have very few wins that aren't backed by a very good goaltending performance, and a fair amount of losses that are. Also, Budaj has started 4 games since a bad loss on November 7th.

So, Hellebuyck is the de facto starter, and will probably get ~80% of the remaining games. That leaves Budaj with roughly 8 more games this season. He SHOULD get a win, but will he?

It's a good trial by fire for Connor though!:laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Budaj = mentor for Helly
Pavelec = mentor for Hutch

Our team mentor budget is more than $5M

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So in those highlights it pretty easy to see Hellebuyck is more than just a big bodied positional goalie. Dude has some serious cat like reflexes as well and looks like the total package.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So in those highlights it pretty easy to see Hellebuyck is more than just a big bodied positional goalie. Dude has some serious cat like reflexes as well and looks like the total package.

.... dare I say, "Rinne-esque"?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
.... dare I say, "Rinne-esque"?

Just listening to the Rona Round Table and RR was chatting with a reporter from St John's who covers the team. He had very high praise Helly and said he is the real deal. To your point about Rinne he said Connor is obviously big and very athletic. The reporter was chatting with the goaltending coach for St John's Dusty Imoo and the coach mentioned Helly is a very quick study. Also the reporter said Connor is an extremely hard worker (first on last off at practice).

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
If the IceCaps had Budaj and Olkinuora as their 2 goalies this season, is it fair to say that they would probably be the worst team in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad