St. John's Ice Caps: 2014-15 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Can't believe Jets/Caps haven't added another goalie yet. Really going to go into season with Olkinuora and Hellebuyck?

so TNSE think its a good idea for the Ice Caps to go into the season pinning all their hopes on an unproven rookie and a vet that sucks? I wonder where they could have possibly come up with this idea from :sarcasm:

:naughty:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
so TNSE think its a good idea for the Ice Caps to go into the season pinning all their hopes on an unproven rookie and a vet that sucks? I wonder where they could have possibly come up with this idea from :sarcasm:

:naughty:

I don't ..... oh .... wait a minute.

Almost spewed coffee out my nose. :laugh::laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can't believe Jets/Caps haven't added another goalie yet. Really going to go into season with Olkinuora and Hellebuyck?

I was surprised they didn't dump Olkinuora. I was more surprised when they traded Eddie. I was even more surprised when they didn't pick up Beskorowany. Besko has been very inconsistent but when he's been good he's been very good. Should have been worth a full season on the rock backing up Helle. Olkinuora OTOH has not been inconsistent. He's just been bad. Another head-scratcher.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I was surprised they didn't dump Olkinuora. I was more surprised when they traded Eddie. I was even more surprised when they didn't pick up Beskorowany. Besko has been very inconsistent but when he's been good he's been very good. Should have been worth a full season on the rock backing up Helle. Olkinuora OTOH has not been inconsistent. He's just been bad. Another head-scratcher.

You can't just "dump" someone. A buyout would involve paying Olkinuora 2/3rds of his NHL salary, which means paying him ALOT more than just assigning him to minors on his two way deal. Not to mention that would be on cap for 2 years. Unless you think he has any trade value?

Beskorowany is a AHL/ECHL tweener that has been bad at ECHL level even at times. Why would anyone want him?

I figured the Jets would bring in a Mark Derkanich type signing by now. Meh I am ok with Ice Caps giving icetime to prospects just surprising to me. Craig Heisinger is probably locked in his office crying his eyes out though.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You can't just "dump" someone. A buyout would involve paying Olkinuora 2/3rds of his NHL salary, which means paying him ALOT more than just assigning him to minors on his two way deal. Not to mention that would be on cap for 2 years. Unless you think he has any trade value?

Beskorowany is a AHL/ECHL tweener that has been bad at ECHL level even at times. Why would anyone want him?

I figured the Jets would bring in a Mark Derkanich type signing by now. Meh I am ok with Ice Caps giving icetime to prospects just surprising to me. Craig Heisinger is probably locked in his office crying his eyes out though.

Thought dex may be lured back as he would be first call up, but he must be making more in zagreb.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You can't just "dump" someone. A buyout would involve paying Olkinuora 2/3rds of his NHL salary, which means paying him ALOT more than just assigning him to minors on his two way deal.

Wouldn't it be 1/3 because of his age?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thought dex may be lured back as he would be first call up, but he must be making more in zagreb.

Ha, no I didn't mean literally Mark Dekanich (he wouldn't come back for AHL) I meant a signing in that vein (NHL/AHL tweener veteran like Dekanich was when we signed him).

Wouldn't it be 1/3 because of his age?

Yes, good catch. Still more way more than his two-way salary. There's no benefit ever to buying out a player on his ELC.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So they are stuck with him for one more year. Might as well hope he turns it around then. Could happen.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I hope not, the players like it there. If it is travel costs, you would think they could come to an arrangement. I don't know who covers what. I could see the convenience of the players and scouts being able to drive back and forth in 8 hrs.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point that the AHL team will move - it was discussed quite heavily in a couple of these threads. There is some question as to when and where though. Possibly Winnipeg for the short term, but TNSE has stated they're looking at TB longer term if the arena situation gets sorted.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Unfortunately, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point that the AHL team will move - it was discussed quite heavily in a couple of these threads. There is some question as to when and where though. Possibly Winnipeg for the short term, but TNSE has stated they're looking at TB longer term if the arena situation gets sorted.

The only hope we have is that Ottawa may move their affiliate here.Will be interesting next month when they have two preseason games here.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The only hope we have is that Ottawa may move their affiliate here.Will be interesting next month when they have two preseason games here.

Losing the affiliation with St John's will suck, but I do hope you guys are able to bring another team in. Fingers crossed for you. :nod:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

OK with trading Eddie for sure. As long as Helley gets all the starts he can handle, just as well having a no name working with him. Excited to see how Helley & Kosmo do, and also to see Lowry - Lipon etc continue their improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad