St. John's Ice Caps: 2014-15 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's surprising. Kichton broke his jaw from what I understand, so that must mean that Ellerby and O'Neill are returning. Which is good for the Ice Caps.

I would imagine if Ellerby is back he'll get a tune up game and be called up with Brouillette being sent down.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
B5gI23wCYAAytCB.png:large

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm wondering about the infusion of young talent next season:

Blomqvist
Comrie
Morrissey
Petan

All have contracts and are eligible to play in the AHL next season. I'd say only Morrissey has a chance of making the Jets out of camp. Copp may turn pro, or he may not, he's in his third year.

Lodge
Kostalek

All need contracts but are eligible to play in the AHL next season. We must sign them or we lose their rights. I'd expect that to happen over the next few days.

I'm wondering what they're going to do about goaltending. Kasdorf is in his 3rd year at RPI, looks like he's going to finish his college career (he played his first post draft year in the USHL). Are they going to retain Olkinuora another year as a place holder?

Chevy could also pick another Lipon over ager this upcoming draft that would immediately play in St. Johns.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Blomqvist
Comrie
Morrissey
Petan

All have contracts and are eligible to play in the AHL next season. I'd say only Morrissey has a chance of making the Jets out of camp. Copp may turn pro, or he may not, he's in his third year.

Lodge
Kostalek

All need contracts but are eligible to play in the AHL next season. We must sign them or we lose their rights. I'd expect that to happen over the next few days.

I'm wondering what they're going to do about goaltending. Kasdorf is in his 3rd year at RPI, looks like he's going to finish his college career (he played his first post draft year in the USHL). Are they going to retain Olkinuora another year as a place holder?

Chevy could also pick another Lipon over ager this upcoming draft that would immediately play in St. Johns.

De Leo is also AHL eligible next year.

Kasdorf, I believe he was granted an injury exemption for last year. This would mean has two more years of college eligibility after this season. Not sure how long the Jets would hold his rights in that scenario.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Kasdorf, I believe he was granted an injury exemption for last year. This would mean has two more years of college eligibility after this season. Not sure how long the Jets would hold his rights in that scenario.

Interesting about De Leo, could be a huge injection of talent next year.

I'm not exactly sure, the NHL CBA is quite murky in this area. Playing a year of USHL also doesn't help.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Kasdorf is eligible for Wheeler/Schultz loophole this year. He can become UFA on June 1, 2015.

However if he chooses to go back to school for two more years he will be Jets property until August 15, 2017. Similiar to Jordan Samuels-Thomas.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lodge
Kostalek

Don't really have to sign them right now. Can easily wait until April/May to sign these guys.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Don't really have to sign them right now. Can easily wait until April/May to sign these guys.

I agree but if you plan on signing them anyways......... I would think it would be easier to sign them now b4 the end of the year. In April they only have to wait 2 months to re enter the draft and for tax purposes it would be better for the player to get his 1 st signing bonus in 2014. Also ....... the Jets have plenty of room on their 50 man roster......... so if they plan on signing them anyway ....might as well do it now.

During the lockout of 2012 they did not sign Lowery until the last few months and a few posters on here were worried that he may not sign after he won WHL player of the year and re -enter the draft. In 2013 we took care of the ELCS signing Petan Kosmochuk and Commrie in Dec. I thought we would have signed both Lodge and Kostelek by now.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Blomqvist
Comrie
Morrissey
Petan

Lodge
Kostalek

Throw Copp in the mix as well (and De Leo, as mentioned).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@GareJoyceNHL: NHL pro scouts have reason to smile--hard push to have as many as 5 AHL team in California next year. Upgrade in quality of life @Sportsnet

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Are the d getting back healthy?
They ended Parent's PTO and sent Friebergs back to ECHL.

What happened to Ryan Parent?

I remember watching him on the Moose a few years ago and thought he was pretty bad.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For a team desperately looking for help, I like this move. Probably only an AHL depth move but he is a former first rounder and only 27 yrs old (in between he's been with 4-5 NHL clubs!)

He was seen to have something going for him at one time. He was drafted 18th by Nashville. He has never scored at any level.

This is what HF had to say about him. Not sure when it was written:
"Parent will never be a big scoring defenseman, but he has all the tools to play a long time at the professional level. The fact that he has been chosen Captain on several occasions speaks volumes of his leadership potential. The book on him is that he is a good solid all around defenseman with no major flaws in his game.

Parent has all the skills to be a superb NHL defender, but has yet to put it all together at the NHL level."

Of course Keaton Ellerby sounds even better when looking at old ratings. I think it would be an interesting bit of trivia to have 2 mid 1st round picks playing on the IceCaps D at the same time. Either or both could still turn out to be worthwhile reclamation projects. If they stick around a while and Morrissey starts next season there they would have 3 1st round picks in their D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad