SSM Greyhounds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Guelph's lineup is untouched by injuries?! Give me a break... we have 3 defensemen injured: Beauchesne, Sandhu and Allen.
Relatively.

I did miss Allen because he hasn't played, but the other two are third pairing/depth options on a good team.

The Hounds are missing the OHL's top scoring defenseman, their captain and best player, a key OA, and a Team Canada junior calibre player.

It would be like the Storm missing Buchinger, Bowman, Karabela, and Luchanko, just for reference.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Sakic fan

Sep 23, 2023
Soo deserved the 2 pts today and outplayed a tough Guelph squad. Martin is just hitting his stride and will be fun to watch in 2nd half. We need to find some more offense and grit in some trades. Goaltending is not an issue and had become a strength, Visnetin making an impact.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Successful road trip getting 5 out of the 6 points despite having 109 point out of the lineup due to injuries and World Juniors.

All the best in the second half!

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
2nd half of the season will show everyone the contenders. I expect our Hounds to be for real. Alot of work remains til end of season. Some players may not be with our team, some new players may join us. Hoping this rest of this ride is entertaining, like it has been up to this point.

Sakic fan

Sep 23, 2023

^ are these showing up with preview or is it just the link? Ever since switching to iPhone, my X links don’t show up on HFBoards
Really liked Charrons game at camp, thought he'd fit right in with his physical and speedy game and would likely have made roster next year.

I see our 4th Solomon, 5th Smith and 6th Charron made the GOJHL Top Prospects game along with 06 pick Brayden Russell. Good luck.

Reactions: HF92 and HockeyPops

Cynical Canadian

Nov 16, 2015
Not sure how the linseman called a hand on the puck penalty. Aren't they only allowed to call majors?
From the ohl rulebook

A minor penalty shall be assessed for “delay of game – face-off violation” to a player taking the face-off who:
  • Attempts to win the face-off by batting the puck with their hand. NOTE: The two players involved in the actual face-off (the centers) are not permitted to play the puck with their hand without incurring a penalty under this rule until such time as a third player (from either team) has at least touched the puck. Once the face-off is deemed complete (and a winner of the face-off is clear) hand passes shall be enforced as per Rule 79 – Hand Pass.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
From the ohl rulebook

A minor penalty shall be assessed for “delay of game – face-off violation” to a player taking the face-off who:
  • Attempts to win the face-off by batting the puck with their hand. NOTE: The two players involved in the actual face-off (the centers) are not permitted to play the puck with their hand without incurring a penalty under this rule until such time as a third player (from either team) has at least touched the puck. Once the face-off is deemed complete (and a winner of the face-off is clear) hand passes shall be enforced as per Rule 79 – Hand Pass.
I know the rule. I'm not questioning that. I'm questioning the linesman calling it when I was under the impression that they can only call major penalties.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know the rule. I'm not questioning that. I'm questioning the linesman calling it when I was under the impression that they can only call major penalties.
He didn't call it. He skated over to the ref who made the call. But they can stop play if they see something that needs to be passed on to the refs. Too many men and shooting the puck out are examples of when they can whistle a play dead but they can only relay what they saw to a ref who then makes the actual call.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Good luck to Charron, I was also impressed during camp. Just went back and dug up the list of players that attended the Red & White game that didn't make the roster:

2007s
Jordan Charron F
Keegan Gillen D
Zack Irvin G
Brady Smith F
Hunter Solomon D

2006s
Nate Brentnell F
Sydney Loreto F
Noah Tegelaar G

2005s
Zack Corte F
Diego Da Silva (FA) F
Caleb Labelle D

I suspect most of the 2007s would have had a spot on the team next year (not sure about the goalie). Now with Charron out, that puts us down to one forward and two defense from the 2023 draft that should be locks for next year.

As the roster stands today, we are going to graduate 7 spots - however we expect Raftis to make additions so I am guessing around 9 graduates. If we bring in the max four players from 2024 draft, and add these 3 locks, we will need two more players to fill out next year's roster. Could be one of the goalies from camp listed above. Hopefully at least one import comes as we will graduate both. So I think we are in pretty good shape when it comes to rostering a full complement of legit OHLers next season.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
IMG_1421.jpeg

Reactions: DiggityDawg

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
tough year for saggy to avoid a back door mem cup entrance that's for sure. the playoffs in the west could end up being a meat grinder.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Perhaps, although I'd counter with it's just because the east isn't that strong. I am weary of Kitchener but there aren't too many teams in the West that scare me. Not sure the West is that much stronger than any other season.

Reactions: HF92

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Perhaps, although I'd counter with it's just because the east isn't that strong. I am weary of Kitchener but there aren't too many teams in the West that scare me. Not sure the West is that much stronger than any other season.
If anything, Kitchener being in first proves the parity in this league. This season has been the true definition of Jr. Hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad