Blue Jays Discussion: Spring training! (next TV game: Sunday 1p ET/10a PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's still far too early for that. Anthony Alford leads the team in plate appearances so far with 11. You can't even really begin to force your way into a spot based on such a small sample.

It was fun to see Palacios homer yesterday. He's a really intriguing prospect, and while he tore up the league at Vancouver and Lansing last year, he didn't homer once in 219 plate appearances.

yeah i figured its too early. thanks for the info though

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
And a walk.

Pompey is by far the best option for LF in the organization right now, but I'm concerned the team doesn't see it that way. Hopefully a big spring can push him into the spot.

I really hope they don't waste half the season to call up pompey if upton fails to produce. Same thing goes for smoak and rowdy. I'd have a short leash on Upton and smoak seeing how terrible they were for us last year. Can't afford to have massive holes in the lineup every day. Can't expect the top of the order to carry this team every game so we need some production from first and left field.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
And a walk.

Pompey is by far the best option for LF in the organization right now, but I'm concerned the team doesn't see it that way. Hopefully a big spring can push him into the spot.

If he's hitting and fielding like he did in 2014\15, then I agree. If he's hitting and fielding like he did in 2016, I disagree.

#FreePompey

#freeJakeGardiner

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Former Jays prospect Chase De Jong traded to the Mariners.

Jays traded him to the Dodgers a year and a half ago with another prospect for international bonus slots in order to stay under the harshest penalty when they signed Vlad Jr. Dodgers put him on their 40 man this offseason to protect him from the rule 5. He was quite good in AA last year.

I apparently follow De Jong on twitter still from back when he was a Jays prospect

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

dunedin, fla.—with minor-league camps opening soon, the number of players frequenting the toronto blue jays’ main complex will soon drop, but that doesn’t mean those on their way out the door have not made their mark.

manager john gibbons said wednesday a lot of younger players have left an impression over the past couple weeks.

“(first baseman rowdy) tellez, he’s not going to make the team but he’s high on our list, probably as high as anybody,†gibbons said. “(right-hander) chris smith, the big arm, we really like. (lefty ryan) borucki . . . The organization really likes him. He pitched the other day in orlando, it caught my attention, too.â€

those newer faces may not be out of sight for long.

“there’s a bunch of guys here, although they may not start with us, they could end up playing a valuable part,†gibbons said. “you know how it goes, an injury here or there, somebody not doing their job, somebody gets that opportunity. We have some pretty good reinforcements.â€

the manager believes a team can never have enough depth.

“we’ve been pretty fortunate, really, the last couple years with our injury situation out of our pitching. There’s some things you’ve got to do in that bullpen every now and then, too, so thre’s some good competition.â€

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Everyone's favourite senile baseball writer Richard Griffin was on tsn1050 this morning, and was asked a question regarding which players, in his 41 year history of covering the team, were the most contentious with the media. He responded with "Marcus Stroman is getting there", and then began a short yet ramblng story as to why.

Apparently, Richard Griffin called Marcus Stroman "Trumpian" because of his belief that the future of athlete-fan relations are mediums like the Player's Tribune, Twitter and Instagram rather than the traditional media.

Which Marcus Stroman got slightly annoyed at...which Richard Griffin then expressed confusion about, seemingly not understanding why a 25-year old black male would get upset at being called "Trumpian".

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
He should be happy. If he's being called Trumpian then it's a colour blind discussion.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Everyone's favourite senile baseball writer Richard Griffin was on tsn1050 this morning, and was asked a question regarding which players, in his 41 year history of covering the team, were the most contentious with the media. He responded with "Marcus Stroman is getting there", and then began a short yet ramblng story as to why.

Apparently, Richard Griffin called Marcus Stroman "Trumpian" because of his belief that the future of athlete-fan relations are mediums like the Player's Tribune, Twitter and Instagram rather than the traditional media.

Which Marcus Stroman got slightly annoyed at...which Richard Griffin then expressed confusion about, seemingly not understanding why a 25-year old black male would get upset at being called "Trumpian".

Ha, that's awesome. Classic Griffin. He's completely clueless when it comes to anything outside his own experience. It would be a lot more productive for him to accept the changes that have taken place across the sports media landscape over the last 30 years and find a way to use them to his advantage, but I guess it's a lot easier to insult someone for wanting to have the ability to interact directly with fans rather than questioning your own place in the industry.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
schadenfreude time.

David Price is on his way to see Dr.Andrews regarding forearm pain.

Hanley Ramirez can't DH in the WBC due to ongoing shoulder trouble.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
The way the media treats Stroman in Toronto is absolutely ridiculous.

He's got 3 strikes against him.

He's not the build of a traditional starter.
He underperformed his stats last year.
He has lots of personality.

You could argue he has a 4th one too...

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yikes. That would be devastating for Boston. Replacing Price with Steven Wright would be bad enough, let alone losing Hanley Ramirez from a lineup that already replaced David Ortiz with Mitch Moreland.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Price was always the last pitcher i expected to experience an arm injury. Believe it or not i hope he is ok. I want the Jays at 100% and the Red Sox to battle it out. Really really liked Price a lot, seems like a great guy.

Always hate all media in sports. I just like the guys who report; prefer watching games for myself and reading fangraphs and mlbtraderumors. Stopped reading and believing newspaper and sport websites reporters when it comes to their opinion and criticism of players.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Price was always the last pitcher i expected to experience an arm injury. Believe it or not i hope he is ok. I want the Jays at 100% and the Red Sox to battle it out. Really really liked Price a lot, seems like a great guy.

Always hate all media in sports. I just like the guys who report; prefer watching games for myself and reading fangraphs and mlbtraderumors. Stopped reading and believing newspaper and sport websites reporters when it comes to their opinion and criticism of players.
Most media now is just Opinion wrapped up as facts.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Best on Stroman on this one. "Traditional media" continues to bleed money like its jugular has been cut. Within 5-10 years most "traditional media" will cease to exist or will look radically different.

If I had a guess, if the Star survives (which is questionable) at some point in the future it will get all of its sports content from online sources through some sort of content agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad