Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training is over. The season begins today

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Maroudis ended up going 4 perfect innings with 5 K's. Maybe in a few years Manoah will have developed to the point he's as good as an 18 year old rookie making his pro debut.

Meanwhile Macko seemed to be rusty struggling in the first but then was perfect for his final 3 innings with 6 K's.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Reminds me of ricky romero. Had a good year then fell off a cliff
It's was always a tough decision. Do you get something small and risk him bouncing back, or do you hold on and get nothing? Having him in our org though, one would hope they had enough information on the cause of his struggles and likelihood of bouncing back that they could make a sound, informed gamble. Maybe they did use that inside info and ultimately it told them he was likely to bounce back. We'll never know.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Reminds me of ricky romero. Had a good year then fell off a cliff
Romero lasted longer than Manoah at his current rate, he had 3 decent seasons one of which was very good, then one bad season then he was gone. his bad season isn't even all that bad if you look at the numbers some pitchers are putting up today.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
It’s crazy how quickly he fell off. It’s a huge loss for us. Had an ace in the making and a year later he may never get back to the majors and with really never having sustained any kind of injury. He just forgot how to pitch
I think he came up thru the system so fast with so much success, that he never learned to deal with failure and recovery from failure. His cocky attitude didn't help, he was barking at veterans like he was the 2nd coming of Cy Young.

Some say karma is a female dog.

I do wish that he can recover from it, but i don't think he'd be a Blue Jay long term even if he did recover to be a serviceable pitcher.

Reactions: shaner8989

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I just cannot understand in what world it makes sense to play IKF (10 x more expensive) over our trio of young 2B options i.e Schneider.

Do I have a blind spot here? What am I missing?

The Braves/Dodgers strategy: 1. Promote top young players to gain a surplus value and 2. Sign top tier free agents.

Blue Jays strategy: Sign a quantity of mediocre free agents rather then quality and use them to block the young talent.

I'm pretty fed up with the direction we're going in and I no longer believe in the teams direction. I want Atkins gone.

I like Turner and Rodriguez but playing IKF, Vogelbach and Kiermaier over guys like Schnedier and Horwitz is beyond ridiculous. I hope they change up the approach soon.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
It’s crazy how quickly he fell off. It’s a huge loss for us. Had an ace in the making and a year later he may never get back to the majors and with really never having sustained any kind of injury. He just forgot how to pitch
Baseball is littered with pitchers who blew the doors off the league early in their careers, only to then disappear almost as quickly as they had arrived. Most were due to injury (Fidrych, Mark Prior, Herb Score) but some, like Steve Blass and Mark Wohlers, just mysteriously lost the strike zone and couldn't ever find it consistently again. In Blass's case, tragically, not at all. I hope Manoah isn't destined for that ending.

Reactions: scott57

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Baseball is littered with pitchers who blew the doors off the league early in their careers, only to then disappear almost as quickly as they had arrived. Most were due to injury (Fidrych, Mark Prior, Herb Score) but some, like Steve Blass and Mark Wohlers, just mysteriously lost the strike zone and couldn't ever find it consistently again. In Blass's case, tragically, not at all. I hope Manoah isn't destined for that ending.

It's such a weird thing. A guy like Daniel Bard lost it, retired ... and then found it again years later to become a dominant closer in his late 30s.

At this point I'm not expecting Manoah again in an MLB uniform for a long time, if at all. It's going to be a long journey for him and he's only at the start of it now.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

Yeah and unfortunately for him he hasn't got that one decent contract yet, but he has time to get a couple more

Should still have a couple million in the bank though

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

That’s awesome. Good on the Red Sox for this. Such an awful story for those two kids.

Very true. Seemed like he was destined for greatness and had a great personality based off of that all star. Just like he was having so much fun and it was easy. Now it looks like me trying to make it to the majors. Really hope something clicks for him

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Is it just me or is the LED sign behind the plate as bright as the sun? It's almost unwatchable... someone pass the SPF 300

1956122.jpg

Reactions: Discoverer

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

I could never understand why he was so good and now I cant understand why he is so bad. He looks like he has a case of the Knoblauch yips in this short clip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad