Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training Discussion: Countdown to the Season (Thursday at 3pm ET/noon PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
They way i feel about this Jays team is borderline optimistic.

They didn't improve the roster from last year, but they didn't really get worse either. and let's keep in mind that everyone thought they would be challengers last year.

I don't think this season is going to be a terrible ride by any means. If anything the lessened expectations this year, should have us feeling better about the team if they play at a similar level to last season.
Pretty much the same way i feel. The division is up for grabs too with cole out for a bit. Rays never adding money. Sox not doing anything. Keep expectations low and maybe we get surprised. But not good starting the year with your ace,setup man and closer on the IL.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Pretty much the same way i feel. The division is up for grabs too with cole out for a bit. Rays never adding money. Sox not doing anything. Keep expectations low and maybe we get surprised. But not good starting the year with your ace,setup man and closer on the IL.
Gausman will make his start and won't be on the IL. His first start will have a 70-80 pitch count limit. Swanson and Romano will be on the IL but should be back in the minimum time frame.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Gausman will make his start and won't be on the IL. His first start will have a 70-80 pitch count limit. Swanson and Romano will be on the IL but should be back in the minimum time frame.
Assuming the minimum, both Swanson and Romano would be eligible game 2 of the Mariners' series (15 days but allowed to backdate by 3).

Cole is eligible to come off the 60 day May 24th assuming that's what the Yankees do.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

That puts us at:

Berrios
Bassitt
Kikuchi
Gausman
Francis

White
Parsons
Pearson
Green
Richards
Cabrera
Mayza
Garcia

for our pitchers out of the gate

It also likely means that Lukes or Little is headed for a DFA

Jansen is eligible to come back after game 7 if he's put on the 10 day IL.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
That puts us at:

Berrios
Bassitt
Kikuchi
Gausman
Francis

White
Parsons
Pearson
Green
Richards
Cabrera
Mayza
Garcia

for our pitchers out of the gate

It also likely means that Lukes or Little is headed for a DFA

Jansen is eligible to come back after game 7 if he's put on the 10 day IL.
I think they will DFA Lukes. They seem to like the potential of Little, and there's not anyone else to DFA. The rest are either on the team or prospects.

Previously, I thought Parsons would be the one DFA'd.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I think they will DFA Lukes. They seem to like the potential of Little, and there's not anyone else to DFA. The rest are either on the team or prospects.

Previously, I thought Parsons would be the one DFA'd.
The thing about Parsons, is that I believe that he's seen a velo uptick, which makes him intriguing.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
There's usually a bit of filler at the end of the depth chart to shuffle in and out, but it would genuinely suck to lose Lukes as a depth piece. I guess it's a good problem to have (better than having guys you don't care about losing taking up those spots) but it's unfortunate even though he's not the greatest fit with Varsho and Kiermaier around.

Imagine coming into camp battling for a spot, putting up an 1.100 OPS in regular playing time, and not only not making the team, but getting DFAd? Oof.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I forget where I saw this but apparently the DFA candidates are 1 of Danner/Zulueta/Pop/Little.

I don't even think Lukes is being considered by the team for a DFA. My guess is Pop.

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I forget where I saw this but apparently the DFA candidates are 1 of Danner/Zulueta/Pop/Little.

I don't even think Lukes is being considered by the team for a DFA. My guess is Pop.
Hope so. I would be ok with Pop or Little - I think Zulueta and Danner both have enough upside that they should be given a bit more rope.

I actually missed that Little was on the 40-man at all. For some reason I was thinking he was a Spring Training invite.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I hate the negative vibes around the team, especially from the so called “experts”. I hope they play with a chip on their shoulder and prove everybody wrong. Go Jays Go!
They deserve every bit of those negative vibes until they prove everybody wrong.

Reactions: MikeK

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
There's usually a bit of filler at the end of the depth chart to shuffle in and out, but it would genuinely suck to lose Lukes as a depth piece. I guess it's a good problem to have (better than having guys you don't care about losing taking up those spots) but it's unfortunate even though he's not the greatest fit with Varsho and Kiermaier around.

Imagine coming into camp battling for a spot, putting up an 1.100 OPS in regular playing time, and not only not making the team, but getting DFAd? Oof.

Sounds like me when playing MLB the show and never getting called up after putting up Barry Bonds numbers in triple A

• Haha
Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think both maintained stock and should naturally progress to the next level. No major improvements around their weaker aspects and tools, but having them put together good (not great) years in their first full pro-ball season is nice rather than them tanking like Toman.

I also don’t know about Barriera. Maybe you want him closer to the lab and in a warmer climate to start, but despite missing a lot of time last year I think they would want to ramp him up and have him face tougher competition in A+.

I felt pretty comfortable able sending Barriera back to Dunedin. IIRC they weren't happy with his weight coming into camp last year and he had a bunch of injuries. He was fine when he pitched but he didn't get anywhere near a full year. I think they'd move him up pretty quickly but I'd be surprised if it wasn't Dunedin to start.

The ones I'm most curious about are Maroudis and Nimmala. They've started both Tiedemann and Barriera post draft year in Dunedin. Ricky with exceptional results, Barriera more mixed. I'm wondering if the more mixed results from Barriera will have them playing a more cautious game with Maroudis though reports on him are strong. With Toman likely repeating A ball you'll have him and Nimmala there if Nimmala starts in Dunedin. Toman can play 3rd and they can make it work until someone promotes, but if they were on the line on where to start Nimmala A ball or keep him in extended spring that conflict might tip it 1 way. Nimmala obviously takes priority so only if it was right on the edge. He is really young.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't see them DFAing Lukes. The OF depth on the 40 man is non existant and he was good in the spring. I thought he'd make the team over Vogelbach tbh. I would have DFA'd Parsons tbh but that's not on the table anymore. I'm not sure they need his length once Manoah, and Yariel are stretched out. He's number 10 on my starter depth chart after Gausman, Berrios, Bassitt, Kikuchi, Francis, Manoah, Yariel, Ricky, and White. I think I'd prefer to hang onto Pop, and Zulueta, and I'm for sure hanging onto Danner. I don't know much about Little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad