Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training Discussion: Countdown to the Season (Thursday at 3pm ET/noon PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I wish they would stop trying to insult our intelligence Re: Ohtani.

IMO there is no way a book would allow someone making $80k/year to rack up $4.5 million in debt unless it came with some serious leveraging of Ohtani. That is Black Sox level stuff.
Ohhhh 100%

Reactions: kb

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Francis also apparently has made the rotation and Gausman seems like he'll be fine to take a turn in the first week. So if Swanson, Romano, and Jansen go on the IL that means we're looking at...

Rotation
1) Berrios
2) Bassitt
3) Kuchiki*
4) Gausman
5) Francis

Bullpen (8-man)
1) Garcia
2) Green
3) Mayza*
4) Cabrera*
5) Richards
6) Parsons
7) White
8) Pearson/Pop/Rodriguez?

IL: Romano, Swanson

Lineup
1) Springer (RF)
2) Guerrero Jr (1B)
3) Bichette (SS)
4) Turner (DH)
5) Kirk (C)
6) Varsho (LF)
7) Kiner-Falefa (3B)
8) Biggio (2B)
9) Kiermaier (CF)

Bench
Severn (C)
Vogelbach (1B/DH/LHB)
Schneider (2B/3B/OF)
Clement (2B/3B/SS?)

IL: Jansen

I wonder what they do with that last spot. Maybe Rodriguez? I thought there was talk about him being stretched into a starter but he's looked good this spring while Pearson and Pop have been inconsistent. But then again you can always bury a streaky, inconsistent weapon at the end of the pen and let Rodriguez work on starting in Buffalo.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Francis also apparently has made the rotation and Gausman seems like he'll be fine to take a turn in the first week. So if Swanson, Romano, and Jansen go on the IL that means we're looking at...

Rotation
1) Berrios
2) Bassitt
3) Kuchiki*
4) Gausman
5) Francis

Bullpen (8-man)
1) Garcia
2) Green
3) Mayza*
4) Cabrera*
5) Richards
6) Parsons
7) White

Lineup
1) Springer (RF)
2) Guerrero Jr (1B)
3) Bichette (SS)
4) Turner (DH)
5) Kirk (C)
6) Varsho (LF)
7) Kiner-Falefa (3B)
8) Biggio (2B)
9) Kiermaier (CF)

Bench
Severn (C)
Vogelbach (1B/DH/LHB)
Schneider (2B/3B/OF)
Clement (2B/3B/SS?)

I wonder what they do with that last spot. Maybe Rodriguez? I thought there was talk about him being stretched into a starter but he's looked good this spring while Pearson and Pop have been inconsistent. But then again you can always bury a streaky, inconsistent weapon at the end of the pen and let Rodriguez work on starting in Buffalo.
I saw Rodriguez got sent down to AAA.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Rotation
1) Berrios
2) Bassitt
3) Kuchiki*
4) Gausman
5) Francis

Bullpen (8-man)
1) Garcia
2) Green
3) Mayza*
4) Cabrera*
5) Richards
6) Parsons
7) White

Lineup
1) Springer (RF)
2) Guerrero Jr (1B)
3) Bichette (SS)
4) Turner (DH)
5) Kirk (C)
6) Varsho (LF)
7) Kiner-Falefa (3B)
8) Biggio (2B)
9) Kiermaier (CF)

Bench
Severn (C)
Vogelbach (1B/DH/LHB)
Schneider (2B/3B/OF)
Clement (2B/3B/SS?)

Rodriguez is starting in Buffalo

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ya and I would be shocked if it was Pop.

Me too but Pearson's been up and down this spring so I figured maybe it would be useful to put Pearson into a high leverage/use role in Buffalo to get into a groove while Pop sits on the end of the pen's bench on mop-up or "f*** it, don't matter" duty.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Man. I kinda feel like ya really gotta hope and pray and look really squinty at it to see any kinda flicker of a glimmer of a hope that this team can go all the way. I mean last year was so uninspiring and this is kinda the same squad with a little deck chairage.

Tell me I'm wrong?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
GJpA4t6awAAp-IK

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Doughty repeating A+?

I wasn't sure what to do with Doughty and Kasevich. I wasn't all that impressed with either last year, though looking at Doughty's stats now it seems better than I remembered. Kasevich is more glove first so I was a little more forgiving with him. Realistically last year probably wasn't bad enough from either to repeat a level you're right.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Man. I kinda feel like ya really gotta hope and pray and look really squinty at it to see any kinda flicker of a glimmer of a hope that this team can go all the way. I mean last year was so uninspiring and this is kinda the same squad with a little deck chairage.

Tell me I'm wrong?
I wish I could but you’re not wrong at all.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
They way i feel about this Jays team is borderline optimistic.

They didn't improve the roster from last year, but they didn't really get worse either. and let's keep in mind that everyone thought they would be challengers last year.

I don't think this season is going to be a terrible ride by any means. If anything the lessened expectations this year, should have us feeling better about the team if they play at a similar level to last season.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
FanGraphs Depth Charts currently has the Jays finishing with 85 wins (same as Baltimore and Seattle) behind Tampa (86) and NYY (88)

FanGraphs Playoff Odds has the Jays at 83.6 with only NYY and Tampa making the playoffs in the East. 49% playoff odds and 2.9% World Series odds.

Keep in mind that the bottom is based on roster and the top is based on roster plus injuries.

By Depth Charts, Toronto is 5th in overall WAR (7th in hitters, 6th in pitchers)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
FanGraphs Depth Charts currently has the Jays finishing with 85 wins (same as Baltimore and Seattle) behind Tampa (86) and NYY (88)

FanGraphs Playoff Odds has the Jays at 83.6 with only NYY and Tampa making the playoffs in the East. 49% playoff odds and 2.9% World Series odds.

Keep in mind that the bottom is based on roster and the top is based on roster plus injuries.

By Depth Charts, Toronto is 5th in overall WAR (7th in hitters, 6th in pitchers)

Meh, it’s close. Obviously it will be very competitive. It will be very unfortunate if the Jays don’t even make the playoffs. Let’s see, but f*** this division. It’s like a game of musical chairs. You’re hoping you have a chair at the playoff table after 162 games. Makes it fun, but stressful. I just wish they would scrap the divisional format. It’s not fair.

Tell me I'm wrong?

Yes, but there is upside. Vladdy should hit much better, so should Kirk and Varsho. Bo might take the next step also and get close to MVP type like a Kyle Seager. I have faith in those guys reaching their potentials.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Something to keep in mind is that for the Yanks, DC expects Lemahieu's defense to improve (despite him being hurt), Judge to have 600AB in the OF, Rodon to put up a 3.1 WAR season and Torres to put up a 3.8 (on defense that he's never demonstrated somehow).

For the Rays, their projected WAR is lower, but FG assumes that they will Tampa their way to success.

Baltimore and Boston's depth is largely irrelevant because outside of injuries to Burnes or Rutschman, Baltimore would replace an injury with a similar player and Boston isn't very good (and has approximately the same projected production from their A and B choices everywhere).

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Jays are in a tough division but I like their chances at the playoffs. I see the division as

Baltimore - I like their hitters and adding Burnes is a big plus for them. They will miss Bautista in the 9th. He was unreal last year. If Burnes falters or gets injured then it's a concern for them.

Toronto - Springer, Vladdy, Kirk, and Varsho have better years. Not too concerned with the bats. Jays have nice depth as well, better than last year. I am hoping the farm system does well because any holes that need fixing prior to the deadline, they then have options to make trades.

New York - Getting Soto is a huge add for them. However, Judge likely can't stay healthy due to his CF play, and losing Cole for a longish period is a big blow. Rodon had a mediocre spring. I don't like their depth on the offense side either.

Tampa - Tampa is Tampa but losing the big pieces they did, especially Franco sets them back this year.

Boston - Good team but in a tough division. Just don't have enough top players.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wasn't sure what to do with Doughty and Kasevich. I wasn't all that impressed with either last year, though looking at Doughty's stats now it seems better than I remembered. Kasevich is more glove first so I was a little more forgiving with him. Realistically last year probably wasn't bad enough from either to repeat a level you're right.

I think both maintained stock and should naturally progress to the next level. No major improvements around their weaker aspects and tools, but having them put together good (not great) years in their first full pro-ball season is nice rather than them tanking like Toman.

I also don’t know about Barriera. Maybe you want him closer to the lab and in a warmer climate to start, but despite missing a lot of time last year I think they would want to ramp him up and have him face tougher competition in A+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad