Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training Discussion: Countdown to the Season (Thursday at 3pm ET/noon PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is the list of games expected to be broadcast this spring. As far as I can tell, home games will likely feature the Blue Jays crew while road games will see Sportsnet carry a simulcast feed of the opponent instead.

All games will be on all major regional Sportsnet networks unless otherwise noted. All games are on Sportsnet+ regardless of network. All games are also 1pm ET/10am PT starts unless otherwise noted.

Mon, Feb 26: vs Pittsburgh
Tue, Feb 27: No game
Wed, Feb 28: vs Tampa Bay
Thu, Feb 29: vs Philadlephia
Fri, Mar 1: @ New York Yankees, 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT
Sat, Mar 2: vs Atlanta (Pacific, Ontario, East, and One only)

Sun, Mar 3: @ Boston
Mon, Mar 4: vs Philadelphia
Tue, Mar 5: No game
Wed, Mar 6: No game

Thu, Mar 7: @ Detroit, 6pm ET/3pm PT (SN Ontario & East only)
Fri, Mar 8: vs NY Yankees (SN One only)
Sat, Mar 9: @ Philadelphia (SN One only)

Sun, Mar 10: vs Baltimore (SN Ontario, East & One only)
Mon, Mar 11: @ Tampa Bay
Tue, Mar 12: vs NY Yankees
Wed, Mar 13: vs Pittsburgh
Thu, Mar 14: No game
Fri, Mar 15: vs Detroit
Sat, Mar 16: @ NY Yankees

Sun, Mar 17: vs Minnesota
Mon, Mar 18: No game
Tue, Mar 19: vs Baltimore
Wed, Mar 20: @ Atlanta
Thu, Mar 21: @ Pittsburgh, 6pm ET/3pm PT (Pacific, Ontario, & East only)
Fri, Mar 22: vs Boston
Sat, Mar 23: vs Detroit

Sun, Mar 24: @ Philadelphia

Mon, Mar 25: @ Pittsburgh

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As mentioned in the previous thread, Monday's game vs the Pirates is expected to see the spring debuts of Kikuchi and Bassitt on the mound. No idea of the lineup though.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
A bunch of runs scored over the weekend. Players hit everyday of the year, but pitchers take a minute to get up to speed.
I was happy the starters all looked good Sat.

I am not worried at all about the pitching. Was tongue in cheek. I have 100% faith in Walker.

I also feel like Mattingly will make a huge difference this year now that he is more involved with the hitters

Reactions: Nineteen67

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Love Spring Training!

Does anyone know, if I were to subscribe to the Sportsnet App would I get all Jays games or is that an extra fee?

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Vladdy debut this spring.

Turner too!

Still would like to snag JD Matinez for some extra pop.

1 year 18 million!
I’d love JD, dude had a monster year last year. But he’s a bit redundant on this team unless Turner can play 3b regularly.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I’d love JD, dude had a monster year last year. But he’s a bit redundant on this team unless Turner can play 3b regularly.
I wonder if he can play LF a la Melky.

Just have him deep to keep balls in front, and have Kier protect the gap

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe occasionally, but seems doubtful they’d want to do that regularly.
I would say 30 games in LF, 60 games DH, have him play 1B for 20.

IKF won a gold glove at 3B so he probably plays there for most of the year, but he also can play in the OF I guess.

Still wary that everyone is going to have a bounce back year.

You might be right. JD might be too tough to fit in, but I really want that 30 HR/100 RBI

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I would say 30 games in LF, 60 games DH, have him play 1B for 20.

IKF won a gold glove at 3B so he probably plays there for most of the year, but he also can play in the OF I guess.

Still wary that everyone is going to have a bounce back year.

You might be right. JD might be too tough to fit in, but I really want that 30 HR/100 RBI

I wonder what kind of options at 3rd will present themselves close to the trade deadline. IKF and his 80 OPS+ are not going to cut it. I still don’t think he will be the regular 3rd baseman, especially not going into the playoffs. At some point, you have to prioritize offence. Still hate that IKF might be the opening day 3rd baseman.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I wonder what kind of options at 3rd will present themselves close to the trade deadline. IKF and his 80 OPS+ are not going to cut it. I still don’t think he will be the regular 3rd baseman, especially not going into the playoffs. At some point, you have to prioritize offence. Still hate that IKF might be the opening day 3rd baseman.
I agree. I was rather disappointed when thwy announced the signing

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder if he can play LF a la Melky.

Just have him deep to keep balls in front, and have Kier protect the gap

I’m sure he can “play” it. I remember both EE and Melky were tossed into the OF for a game.

The novelty of having all your bats in is a fun prospective, but it’s not something they can manage while also providing every day ABs to JT/JD. The risk of injury is too high.

Reactions: Jojalu

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
There are some people here who don't seem to understand that the difference between IKF and Turner at 3B is not that great (he's a much better hitter, but also a MUCH worse defender).

The larger gap is either IKF to Chapman (3.5 fWAR) or IKF to one of the young guys who forces their way up (Palmegiani or Barger).

Edit: The Espinal of 2 and 3 years ago is also a fairly sizeable upgrade on IKF.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't see a way to adding JD Martinez to this roster. He's very decidedly not a fielding player anymore and the team already has Turner occupying that primary DH role. Maybe you find a way to swing Turner at 3rd for 40 games, at 1st for 30 games, and maybe 20 days off. That's 90 games of opening up the DH spot, which means that you'd be signing Martinez to play basically half a season assuming you never put anyone else in the DH spot, which would be unlikely given that you'd have to give some half-days to the likes of Springer or Vlad or a catcher when you don't want to take one of their bats out of the lineup.

The more likely late spring twist addition would be Chapman returning on a Bellinger sort of deal (but cheaper). He retakes the everyday 3B job, Kiner-Falefa slides onto the bench in the super-utility role and one of Espinal/Biggio/Schneider ends up on the outside looking in.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I don't see a way to adding JD Martinez to this roster. He's very decidedly not a fielding player anymore and the team already has Turner occupying that primary DH role. Maybe you find a way to swing Turner at 3rd for 40 games, at 1st for 30 games, and maybe 20 days off. That's 90 games of opening up the DH spot, which means that you'd be signing Martinez to play basically half a season assuming you never put anyone else in the DH spot, which would be unlikely given that you'd have to give some half-days to the likes of Springer or Vlad or a catcher when you don't want to take one of their bats out of the lineup.

The more likely late spring twist addition would be Chapman returning on a Bellinger sort of deal (but cheaper). He retakes the everyday 3B job, Kiner-Falefa slides onto the bench in the super-utility role and one of Espinal/Biggio/Schneider ends up on the outside looking in.
I agree that would be more likely to happen.

I just want to see JD in a Jays uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad