Spring 2016 Prospect Poll: #1

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Our only obvious chance to add a core-level/possibly elite prospect is going to be with our 1st. After that it comes down to luck, scouting, and balls from our front office. I'd love to be the team that hits on a Gaudreau or Gostisbehere for once. But yeah, our prospect pool is all potential solid contibutors. The good news is we have some sturdy-bodied forwards at the top of the board who project pretty well to the pros, which should really help fill out a roster that in large part has its core/elite pieces in place.

Maybe Estephan can be that hidden gem.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Maybe. But honestly, I think with the advent of expanded scouting teams, video scouting, etc. 'hidden gems' are going to be less and less prevalent.

The guys that literally no one else has seen, like Datsyuk, already don't happen anymore. You're always going to see guys who exceed expectations, though, because players are drafted as 18 year olds. Drafting 18 year olds will never ever be anything close to an exact science. There will be players who develop late (or hit a late growth spurt) as well as players in lower tier leagues who won't have proven themselves against higher levels of competition

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Fasching then Bailey. Add...some new prospects to our pool please. Or Borgen. Add Borgen.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Maybe. But honestly, I think with the advent of expanded scouting teams, video scouting, etc. 'hidden gems' are going to be less and less prevalent.

Why I mentioned scouting, luck, and balls is because I more or less agree. It comes down to identifying the right longshots, having the balls to take them over guys with alleged pro floors, and then getting damn lucky. That's clearly how it worked for Gaudreau and Gostisbehere, keeping with my examples. It certainly wasn't a case of hidden gems in the most literal sense. Olofsson and Estephan seem like our chips in that game, especially Olofsson as a 7th rounder who was listed as something hilarious like 140 lbs by CSS when we picked him (though it was way outdated and inaccurate).

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I didn't realize how good a year Olofsson was having with MODO until I just looked him up. I also didn't realize Maxim Lapierre is playing for MODO this year!

Anyone SHL guys have a recent scouting report on Olofsson and Possler?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Bailey, Fasching, and Carrier should be top 3 I think. I really like Carrier.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I didn't realize how good a year Olofsson was having with MODO until I just looked him up. I also didn't realize Maxim Lapierre is playing for MODO this year!

Anyone SHL guys have a recent scouting report on Olofsson and Possler?

They fired Lapierre weeks ago. Sent him packing.

gr8idea

Jul 26, 2012
Bailey as HF has much to prove... a College season VS AHL/NHL big difference, may get there but i have to go with BAILEY right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad