News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree with the above statements. I think Trouba and agent
Undersmart have picked the wrong team to try and holdout on to try and get their way. This city has lost a team to in 1996 to escalating salaries and its fans will support any Jets initiative that promotes their cause using the CBA to the fullest to get what Winnipeg needs to compete.The fans will not get angry with management because a star player is not playing. The fans will be more on managements side.
The Jets have many young stars on ELCs and they need to set the record straight from the get go. The Jets need to play this right.They can not set a precedent for future stars. The CBA has stated that every player is under team control for 7 years or until the age of 27. The only trade I would consider would be for Lindholm one for one. Other wise just wait Trouba out. If Trouba wants to play in the NHL this year it will be as a Winnipeg Jet. The Jets will not trade Trouba if he is not under contract.:popcorn:

Plain and simple........Trouba at 22 and 3 years of service has not earned the right to dictate terms and where he wants to play. I do not see this ending well for Trouba, unless he changes his stance.

You have nailed it Dean. The press release the day after Trouba is shut down for the season would be easy to write.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
He is certainly free to not sign a contract and face those consequences but that is where his rights end.

The CBA does not give players coming off ELCs the right to force a trade by refusing to negotiate a contract with the club that owns their rights, so I'm gonna say that, no he isn't really playing within the letter or even the spirit of the rules.

He isn't forcing a trade. He asked for a trade. In perfect compliance with the CBA.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So is anyone still naive enough to believe Trouba/his agent/his family that it's all about playing his natural side on D and/or playing time or the money?

Guy just doesn't want to be here or play here, Don't know why the AMERICAN players, Copp, Wheeler, Buff are defending the guy as he has basically quit on the team.

Cultural difference between; Canadian players:= team first and American players:=Me first! :help:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I agree, Morrissey is really an important wild card here. If he is ready, he might be able to step in and not only fill a spot, but prosper in that spot. It could really flip this situation around, giving us all the cards.

Flip side is Morrissey is not ready, and one of Buff, Myers or Enstrom get an early injury, then we might be in trouble, which is a word that contains most of Jacobs last name.

Thing is though, would we be in trouble. We aren't yet a team that is playoffs or bust. So we have one more mediocre year while this thing gets settled no big deal. By next year, guys like Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Petan will be really up to speed. We'll have dealt with the expansion draft & be moving ahead. Morrissey will by then be ready to make the next step (if he isn't already).

So yes, the ball is in their court. I don't see us needing to resolve this fast & I doubt we'll take anything but a good trade at this point. Come Dec, it will be interesting to hear what no heart & his client have to say.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Jacob Trouba as a "brand"? Lol, this guy has the charisma of a morgue attendant.

Get an equal player in return and make sure not to let the door hit Trouba's ass on the way out. The sooner the better.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Hopefully Troubs gets an Aha Moment sooner than later

After you've gone and left me wondering, After you've gone there's no denying, you'll feel blue, you'll feel sad, you'll miss the bestest hockey team you'll ever have.

They'll come a time when you'll regret it, they'll come a time, now don't forget it.

Someday when you look back, your heart will break just like ours and you'll wish you had of stayed.

After your really gone, after you've totally thrown it all away.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You are forgetting the part about refusing to negotiate a contract until his trade "request" is agreed to.

Chevy needs to set the precedent and make the guy sit a long time or until the Jets receive an offer that is in their favour!

Deleted member 55113

A year long holdout isn't great for Trouba either, as he will lose salary, experience, career momentum and, I'm sure genuinely wants to play the game.

Well, if the gulf is really wide, he can always sign and play in Europe until things get done in North America. In your negotiations term, that's his BATNA and a legit one.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Everyone is playing by the rules. Doesn't mean you have to like the rules, but they are being followed.

Players and teams will use whatever "loophole" or "oversight" or "way around" they can find in the CBA to work to their advantage.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Get an equal player in return and make sure not to let the door hit Trouba's ass on the way out. The sooner the better.

That's not a realistic expectation. There's a very short list of equal players and their team's have no incentive to make a trade.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
That's not a realistic expectation. There's a very short list of equal players and their team's have no incentive to make a trade.

Exactly, especially now with Trouba and his new reputation as damaged goods!:sarcasm:

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Nowhere in the CBA does it say that free agents are required to negotiate.

I don't know why this point is not understood by a lot of people.

He's not some indentured servant. He is following the CBA which is his right, and he'll have to deal with the consequences (good and bad) of that decision.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yea check out the freep article I provided a link to above. Ground zero in this problem right there.

Out since a year ago... it really is too horrible if they (speculation: ) think they're on to the next Facebook here, but Jacob needs to be a bigger brand to lure other top talents in.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
So worst case senario, Trouba sits out the year.

How will that negatively affect the "brand" and potential future earnings of trouba. That will really hamper his next contract at the very least, and unless he can shake the reputatiin, could cost a lot of his future earnings.

Whereas he could have taken a bridge, played well, and probably ended the season playing beside enstrom due to injuries. But its just about sides.

As an aside:

Trouba is doing what the CBA allows and should allow players to do.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Nowhere in the CBA does it say that free agents are required to negotiate.

Right. You can split hairs here all you want.

Bottom line is that the CBA provides players the ability to choose where they want to play after they have met the age and experience requirements. Trouba hasn't. He's free to not negotiate and he's also free to become a travelling encyclopedia salesman but if he wants to play in the NHL, his options are to negotiate with Winnipeg or find some team willing to present him with an offer sheet. He's done neither.

Maybe he just really wants to sell encyclopedias.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
Right. You can split hairs here all you want.

Bottom line is that the CBA provides players the ability to choose where they want to play after they have met the age and experience requirements. Trouba hasn't. He's free to not negotiate and he's also free to become a travelling encyclopedia salesman but if he wants to play in the NHL, his options are to negotiate with Winnipeg or find some team willing to present him with an offer sheet. He's done neither.

Maybe he just really wants to sell encyclopedias.

THIS (as per above). He is free to do as he pleases...under the CBA he must follow the rules set forth. The rules are explicit in terms of his rights. The Jets own his ass until he either hits 7 years service (I believe) or he hits the age of 27.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Trouba just sounds like someone whose nose is outta joint because the jets traded for Meyers and he gets ahead of him in the D pairings...Trouba has been here for 3 years and a player, even though has been playing longer in the NHL than Trouba, gets in the top two pairings without even a getting an opportunity to play in the top 2 pairings....maybe he questioning the organizations loyalty to him as opposed to a new player, who is, in some people's mind, hasn't played as well as Trouba this past season at times.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
My prediction is he will be traded within 3 weeks

I hope you are right and that we get adequate value in return.

My one worry about that is though, what is going to change between the Jets and other trading partners in the next 3 weeks versus the last 5 months? Just the pressure of the season starting I guess?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

So bend over, give away your asset and Trouba gets his way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad