News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
As a fan, I'd love for Chevy to use other assets they deem expendable to acquire the top-4 LHD we need, and let Trouba sit at home until he wants to sign or head to Europe for a season or four.

Dano+ for Fowler would be insanely good. Or literally any forward prospect up to and including Roslovic. That would make so much sense for both sides, especially if the forward was already NHL ready like Dano is.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Overfart will be using the expansion draft as leverage. The Jets will have to protect Trouba who isn't playing for the team and lose a player who is, say Armia, Lowry, etc.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Overfart will be using the expansion draft as leverage. The Jets will have to protect Trouba who isn't playing for the team and lose a player who is, say Armia, Lowry, etc.

He will have to burn a UFA year before he can use that as leverage.....Im sure Trouba won't be very happy with him if that happens :handclap:

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
The dad angle is quite interesting, I enjoy me some conspiracy theories. Mr. Trouba has every social network imaginable but almost zero posts follows etc. Labels himself a marketing executive (probably for jacub alone). His app which he created has crashed and burned, seemed the goal was to have every NHL player and eventually other sport superstars using it. May see more opportunity for success of his own venture in a large U.S market.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
"We the signers hope for
a peaceful solution
to max valuation
for trading pur-po-ses!
And hopefully a
left-hand D
not too old
second-pair
to play the spot
the team sees fit
no! hard! feelings!"

lol would definitely chant this

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Doesn't a player become exempt if he misses 60 consecutive games before the expansion?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He will have to burn a UFA year before he can use that as leverage.....Im sure Trouba won't be very happy with him if that happens :handclap:

Yeah, that's a $2.75M - $5.25M roll of the dice. Plus it almost certainly lowers the value of his next deal and pushes his earliest UFA contract a year later to 2021-22.

He blows this year, so $0M. Signs a bridge $3M x 2 next year. Gets a $7M x 6 year deal after that. Now he's earned $48M and he's 30 years old.

But if he signed today for $5M x 6 years, he's a UFA at 28 and then gets a $6M+ x 7+ year deal. 33 years old and he's made $72M. He'd need an $24M deal as a 30 year old to equal the money (he'd need $8M x 3 to make the same money by age 33).

Of course, maybe $5M x 6 years isn't on the table...maybe it's the $2.75M bridge. Still...risky.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The dad angle is quite interesting, I enjoy me some conspiracy theories. Mr. Trouba has every social network imaginable but almost zero posts follows etc. Labels himself a marketing executive (probably for jacub alone). His app which he created has crashed and burned, seemed the goal was to have every NHL player and eventually other sport superstars using it. May see more opportunity for success of his own venture in a large U.S market.

Is this his father?

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS-mied-2_10-cv-11091/pdf/USCOURTS-mied-2_10-cv-11091-0.pdf

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Doesn't a player become exempt if he misses 60 consecutive games before the expansion?

No, he'd still need to be protected. The rule about games played is only to force teams to expose a certain number of real NHLers:

"i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons."

Fortunately, Stu covers the Jets' obligations here... ;)

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
As a fan, I'd love for Chevy to use other assets they deem expendable to acquire the top-4 LHD we need, and let Trouba sit at home until he wants to sign or head to Europe for a season or four.

Yep, banking on us protecting 8 skaters total, these are the assets that we are already in danger of losing in the expansion draft, so start trade offers with these guys (or add them to Trouba to increase chances of getting a 1-2 D-man):
Dano
Burmi
Lowry
Armia

Of course, if we trade one of these (plus prospects/draft picks) for a useful D-man (say Fowler), then we also need to trade Trouba or Myers before the expansion draft(or find a way to expose/trade Enstrom) given we definitely need to protect at least 4 forwards -- Wheels, Little, Schief & Perrault.

Should be an interesting year.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

It looks to be as the name and occupation are the same. He filed for bankruptcy 5 yrs ago and then was charged with what looks to be fraud and/or theft depending on how you read the attachment. Bankruptcy is no fun at his age......or any age. There are way too many dots to connect but there appears to be family issues there, sadly. JT's potential loss of millions won't help much if there are problems.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
It looks to be as the name and occupation are the same. He filed for bankruptcy 5 yrs ago and then was charged with what looks to be fraud and/or theft depending on how you read the attachment. Bankruptcy is no fun at his age......or any age. There are way too many dots to connect but there appears to be family issues there, sadly. JT's potential loss of millions won't help much if there are problems.

Pretty sure. Dates are right, and they lived in Auburn MI. Ouch.

Seems like a stretch no? We have no way of knowing if that's him.

If so it's pretty wild

Can't be sure, but that's what I found digging around too.

See my above post linking to an archive of John Trouba's webpage. He lists his employment for Gail & Rice.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

The app may have been successful if Jacob had actually... you know... used it.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-12/supermodel-hockey-mom-why-big-bucks-flow-to-little-pucks

The sour tang of sweat and leather hangs in the air as John Trouba sits in a Compuware dressing room telling of his son’s journey to Winnipeg in the NHL. Jacob Trouba, now 20, had played for Little Caesars before switching to Compuware.
“It was just the best opportunity to play with some better kids,†says the elder Trouba, partner in a marketing firm that’s developing a mobile app around his son.
Even with Compuware’s sponsorship, Trouba said he spent about $7,500 a season, more when Jacob traveled to Sweden and Russia. Trouba says the best teams often have a “money guy,†a rich parent who’ll toss cash on top of the sponsor’s contribution -- sometimes with strings attached, such as how much ice time the donor’s son or daughter gets.

Just to add to the speculation since thats all this is. Doesn't mean anything as Trouba has actually demonstrated he is good, gets lots of ice time, etc but just interesting that he came out of an environment like this.

Though ftr do not think Trouba hates this city yet - nothing confirms that at all and we may not know, if ever, until afterwards. He does have some valid arguments despite not many wanting to believe it. But his dad, if the same in the case (GAIL & RICE) above, is turning out to be interesting side character in all this.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Embezzlement, I would think. Misappropriation of property trusted into one's care. My legal opinion as an internet moron, and not a lawyer, obviously.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
A guy with a tiny bit of credibility is listing some teams that are in the mix. Not sure how much his word is worth but he's got more to him than the standard poster.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2129651&page=22

Not sure if I can just TL;DR but:

Vetted poster says 1. Three teams in the mix 2. TOR is not one of them 3. Deal likely after WCOH is finished

Some suggested in conjunction with his posts that McKenzie is on to something with NYR, ARI, BOS, DET. So maybe the three teams are in this list. If I had to guess, I'd say that NYR is not ready to part with McD, so probably one of the other three. Krug from Boston is the most appealing for me. Not sure if Boston offers that though..

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Has anyone looked at the CAP for teams to make a list of whom can even afford Trouba? That might help narrow the list.

Just looking at capfriendly, and in conjunction with the rumors posted above

DET - $0
NYR - $1,400,000
ARI - $2,347,875
BOS - $5,831,666

There will obviously be salary heading back, but BOS is in the best position. Please no Chara because expiry date, or John-Michael Liles because Beyak, or even Zboril because development...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad