News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Yea check out the freep article I provided a link to above. Ground zero in this problem right there.

Trouba Sr. has an "interesting" history if you search his name on Google. Give his son credit, at least he's found a way to get rich legally.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Trouba Sr. has an "interesting" history if you search his name on Google. Give his son credit, at least he's found a way to get rich legally.

... only to find himself blocked from signing on the millions by his agent whose hiring may be influenced by the Sr.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/agent-adamant-trouba-wants-trade-394898561.html

That tune changed Saturday, and Overhardt clarified his client’s comments Monday afternoon.

"I will tell you that anything my client said during the World Cup was completely tight to the vest," Overhardt said, suggesting Trouba possibly stretched the truth. "He did not want any distractions from his perspective. His responsibility with that team… he did not want to be a distraction or have anything focused on him. Anything he might of said…he has no obligation to tell people what is going on."

Overhardt went on to say the reason he took the issue to the media was to make sure there was some transparency as to why his client wasn’t in Winnipeg.

So when asked an honest question his obligation is to lie or just tell the reporter what he thinks people in Winnipeg want to hear. Gotcha... :shakehead

If you are not going to be upfront when being interviewed then don't agree to be interviewed.

The ellipsis in the quote there - they cut out an important part where Overhardt said something like "he thought he was giving a neutral answer".

Here's the original Q&A as reported by Paul Weicek:

Is there any doubt in his mind he will be in the Jets lineup when they open their regular season next month?

"Not in my mind," Trouba told me here at Consol Energy Center Wednesday night...

It's a little ambiguous. Trouba may have thought he was being cleverly neutral here. "Not in my mind" doesn't necessarily mean "yes, I'll be in the lineup".

Weicek's question is ambigious too. I don't see why he couldn't ask a simple yes/no question. "Do you think you'll be in the Jets opening lineup in October?" How ****ing hard was that, Paul? Did you even university? :laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The ellipsis in the quote there - they cut out an important part where Overhardt said something like "he thought he was giving a neutral answer".

Here's the original Q&A as reported by Paul Weicek:

Is there any doubt in his mind he will be in the Jets lineup when they open their regular season next month?

"Not in my mind," Trouba told me here at Consol Energy Center Wednesday night...

It's a little ambiguous. Trouba may have thought he was being cleverly neutral here. "Not in my mind" doesn't necessarily mean "yes, I'll be in the lineup".

Weicek's question is ambigious too. I don't see why he couldn't ask a simple yes/no question. "Do you think you'll be in the Jets opening lineup in October?" How ****ing hard was that, Paul? Did you even university? :laugh:

He wanted a quote for his article, not a single word.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Wha, leave the control of the content of the article to the interviewee? Sounds like heresy.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He wanted a quote for his article, not a single word.

Sure, but now holding up this poorly phrased ambiguous Q&A as some kind of smoking gun that Trouba's pants are on fire isn't really fair. Cutting out Overhardt's words about Trouba thinking he gave a neutral answer is suspect too.

Got some articles out of it though! :laugh:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So during the World Cup Maurice was interviewed and he specifically stated they were going to use Trouba on the LHS because, while difficult to make the switch from the position you have played your whole life (and spoke about handedness, receiving pucks rung around the boards, etc) Trouba was younger than Buff and Myers so it is easier for him to adjust than more NHL experienced players.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
That explains why it is imperative for Jacob to be on the first pairing in a large market.

And there's this gem too:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/trouba-takes-on-own-app-277037201.html

"His job is to play hockey and do as well as he can for the Winnipeg Jets," he said.

The younger Trouba said he hopes his app, which launched Monday, demonstrates his commitment to being in Winnipeg, to his fans and to local businesses.

"Hopefully, I'm here for a really long time. I want to be a part of this city, and I think this is a good start to getting involved," he said.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
So out of curiosity........how many people changed their number 9 Kane jersey to a number 8 Trouba jersey ? I have yet to put a number and plate on mine since the beginning of 2.0 era. maybe ill go Mark or Buff to be safe.

I for one am not upset with the Trouba saga. If he wants out that is fine but lets try and get this done so it does not drag out throughout the season.

I changed my Burmi #8 to a Trouba #8. Not having much luck with that number :(

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
My prediction is he will be traded within 3 weeks

I'm good with that Joe as long as the return is substantial. Prospects and picks wouldn't do it for me. If the return makes the team better short and long term, a good player to step in with great character, then I'm all for it.

Hopefully, Jets are having meaningful discussions with a few teams and the return is suitable. If it isn't, I would have no issue with Chevy drawing this out a few months or even a year.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Historically, have any RFAs held out and played in Europe/other? Any stay there for more than one year? In either case, was their trade value perceived to have improved or diminished upon their return? I'm asking because I'm wondering if he played a year or more in the KHL, how it might affect our trade return if he decided to come back.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I hope you are right and that we get adequate value in return.

My one worry about that is though, what is going to change between the Jets and other trading partners in the next 3 weeks versus the last 5 months? Just the pressure of the season starting I guess?

I think Chevy can be patient up to a point.

He's done an excellent job of accumulating assets since the team moved to Winnipeg. Via trades and draft he has like 10 first rounders in the roster that were drafted since 2011. Includes armia, dano.

Now as a GM he has to transition into one that can turn those assets into a contending team. Something that Stan Bowman and Dean Lombardi have done with the hawks and Kings.

Fans have waited for this team to fill the cupboard and it's time to move towards that contending team status.

Won't happen this year, but they can't be in the bottom 10 of the NHL. At least based on talent they shouldn't be.

I agree, i don't think much has changed since may. He's in a situation where he doesn't need to lock in on a specific return in terms of position. He does need NHL calibre players in return. Can't be player and first round pick.

Maybe now he accepts that he needs to make a second move to get a dman. That's the most logical move. He has the assets to do that.

Neither side can agree in a long term deal for the right number. Short term, if trouba doesn't feel he can maximize his value based on the coaching decision to play him on the left, then I understand his position.

He wants to get paid and get that security.

It's a coaching decision to okay the players where they can best help the team as a collective. Trouba might just be the best of the rhd at playing the left.

Imagine it's like Xbox NHL. Each guys has a rating playing on yhe right side. And they have a lower rating playing the left. Maurice will pick the combination that maximizes the overall score basically.

It's about money plain and simple. If he got the money he wants long term, he'd sign and play where ever. But he isn't getting that mi key and wants to make sure that he is at least put into a role that allows him a legit chance to maximize his value down the road.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
They can absolutely negotiate a contract with any team in the league, and nobody can stop them from doing that. They just can't sign it unless a) Trouba's rights are traded, or b) that contract is presented as an offer sheet. It's the nature of free agency.

So in essence, they are helping the Jets get value. I'm good with that. Get going Jacob!!!

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
So is anyone still naive enough to believe Trouba/his agent/his family that it's all about playing his natural side on D and/or playing time or the money?

Guy just doesn't want to be here or play here, Don't know why the AMERICAN players, Copp, Wheeler, Buff are defending the guy as he has basically quit on the team.

Cultural difference between; Canadian players:= team first and American players:=Me first! :help:

This anti-American stuff is way out of line. Especially when you start tarring a guy like Wheeler who exemplifies everything we should want in a player. Calling him a 'me first" guy ignores all the evidence about what he has done and means to this franchise. BTW, I am Canadian.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Chevy should wait for the right deal for the Jets. Trouba can sit out a few years if necessary or go play in a european ringettle league if he wants to earn some coin. Or I guess he can rely on royalties from his wildly popular Jacob Trouba app - LOL

Good example why draft and develop cannot be the only game in town. We don't have a lot of player for player trades to evaluate our guy Chevy. But he made lemonade out of the Kane lemons. Hope he can repeat success here. If not, Trouba can wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and ....... I don't mind if Chevy has to wait years for the right deal. It's Trouba's right not to report and to ask for a trade, it's the Jets' right not to give him away.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
As a fan, I'd love for Chevy to use other assets they deem expendable to acquire the top-4 LHD we need, and let Trouba sit at home until he wants to sign or head to Europe for a season or four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad