Sporting News: How Rasmus Dahlin can fix the Sabres' problems

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I did an advanced and traditional stat analysis and came up with some ideas on how Housley should use Dahlin.

You have to think Housley at some point in the season will make Dahlin his No. 1, much like the way the Sabres did for him after he was drafted in 1982.

It may be worth clarifying the power play point situation, which was posted in the Dahlin thread and which I will paste below. Otherwise, I dig the confidence in RD becoming an immediate contributor and agree with that assessment.

Dahlin didn't see much of any time on the first PP unit. Frolunda's first unit was so good, there was no need to make any adjustments, so Dahlin was kept on the 2nd unit, which rarely saw any ice time. Impressive that he was productive as he was while seeing very little PP time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am surprised you didnt write an article titled "Why the Sabres should pick Svechnikov over Dahlin"

Hey now, he's laid out before that he thinks Dahlin will go #1 and that Svech has done things this year that are eye-popping in their own way.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
You have to think Housley at some point in the season will make Dahlin his No. 1, much like the way the Sabres did for him after he was drafted in 1982.

I hope. I wish I had more confidence in Housley, but the last season made me question his usage decisions. I'm legitimately hoping to be proven wrong though because as much as I was really disappointed in his debut as a coach (it was hard to find much in his coaching that rose to the level of clear competence, let alone evidence of strengths) he was an inexperienced coach in a tough spot and he should be better in year two, as should the roster.

How he handles Dahlin (who he couldn't be more fortunate to have fallen into) is going to be crucial in terms of judging his potential as a coach (beyond the obvious and more significant franchise implications).

I'm going to try to buck history here and be optimistic:thumbu:

Reactions: Chainshot

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
NHL Draft 2018: How Rasmus Dahlin can fit Sabres, fast-track league's slowest rebuild

A deep dive in Buffalo's recent string of misery revealed a team that can trace most of its problems back to the blue line. This is a situation where both the analytics and observations can agree that Rasmus Dahlin is the perfect player to make the Sabres a better team at 5v5 and on the power play.
There is another area where his impact will be immediately felt. 3 on 3 ot. Eichel, Dahlin and Casey could be devastating.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hey now, he's laid out before that he thinks Dahlin will go #1 and that Svech has done things this year that are eye-popping in their own way.
No doubt and he's a good writer but he's the only one who pencils in Svechnikov as a 1B and actually has him rated higher than Dahlin in his draft rankings.

If he actually believes that than Buffalo should be picking up Svechnikov at #1 and his article should be "How Svechnikov could change Buffalos problems".

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

You can make that second point without embarrassing yourself in the rankings.

I did all year.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Can we not attack the writer? It's not like we all haven't had an opinion that wasn't well received by others.

As for the article, I think a lot of us posters touched on a lot of what they talked about when we discussed "only dreams of getting Dahlin". The biggest improvement you'll see is zone entries in general, but especially on the PP, assuming Dahlin will do the bulk of that lifting, as the annoying entry attempt of: leaving the puck behind for Eichel (usually the guy that teams focus on) who brings the puck up after a drop pass, I could see creep back into this season as well. The one flaw this Sabres team has had since Eichel came into the league as been their PP zone entries. They have been putrid, even during the #1 PP year. Ristolainen obviously wasn't used correctly. Hopefully they utilize Dahlin a lot better than what we saw last year.

Reactions: debaser66

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
There is another area where his impact will be immediately felt. 3 on 3 ot. Eichel, Dahlin and Casey could be devastating.
Why would Housley put them out there when there are Girgs, Larsson and McCabe?

- OT - have the fonts changed on here? They look different, and I didn't change any settings. Nevermind, now they are showing like they used to.

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
No doubt and he's a good writer but he's the only one who pencils in Svechnikov as a 1B and actually has him rated higher than Dahlin in his draft rankings.

If he actually believes that than Buffalo should be picking up Svechnikov at #1 and his article should be "How Svechnikov could change Buffalos problems".
You should read the article first, he never says Buffalo should pick Svech over Dahlin. This is an article on how Dahiln might transform the Sabres.

I don't agree with his Svech over Dahlin assesment at all but I found this article made some interesting points.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad