Sporting News: How Rasmus Dahlin can fix the Sabres' problems

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hopefully any questions or concerns about my analysis of Dahlin were andwered in my spot on WGR.

As fas as ranking Svechnikov over Dahlin, the criticism is totally fine.

But think of it as the Andrew Luck draft in 2012. Everybody would have tarred and feathered the analyst that said Luke Kuechly was the best prospect in a draft where Luck was considered a "generational" QB. Best prospect doesnt always equal best career among draft peers. Dahlin absolutely is the right choice for Buffalo, but Svechnikov is equal in terms of upside and potential.

It will be like Malkin/Ovechkin.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hopefully any questions or concerns about my analysis of Dahlin were andwered in my spot on WGR.

As fas as ranking Svechnikov over Dahlin, the criticism is totally fine.

But think of it as the Andrew Luck draft in 2012. Everybody would have tarred and feathered the analyst that said Luke Kuechly was the best prospect in a draft where Luck was considered a "generational" QB. Best prospect doesnt always equal best career among draft peers. Dahlin absolutely is the right choice for Buffalo, but Svechnikov is equal in terms of upside and potential.

It will be like Malkin/Ovechkin.
Clearly, we must have them both. Oh yes...we must have them both.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I see Svechnikov as a pretty surefire impact player with the potential to be a franchise guy.

I see Dahlin as a franchise player with the potential to be more.

Well done on WGR though. Entertaining listen.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

So watch out for major injuries for Dahlin? But when healthy, Dahlin will be more impactful on the ice?

What a strange way to evaluate prospects. But perhaps the analogy was just a bad one, since on the field, when healthy Luck is a far more impactful player, and as a prospect was an uber talent.

Is it purely a concern about projecting defensemen, because even by your own words they have equal upside and potential, but it seems to me very difficult to find a coherent argument that shows Svech has been as impressive as Dahlin as a prospect, jr vs pro experience, wjc success vs whatever the russians were doing.

I really like Svech, but it sure seems like a click bait move to make such a tenuous argument.

The analogy that feels closer, IMO, is the mcdavid/eichel draft we just lived thru. Arguments by some that Eichel was on mcdavid’s level were weak then and looking back now seem like obvious shenanigans or incompetence by the analysts who wrote them.

But who knows, just opinions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad