Spezza, L. Karlsson traded to DAL for Chiasson, Part II: Cue the next whipping boy.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Well, we don't HAVE to have one, in fact it would be really nice NOT to have one for once, but this city always tends to have/make a fall guy for whenever the team does poorly.

Seems like an unfortunate inevitability.

Every city and every team has one, it is not just an Ottawa thing. But Phillips will be the next one.

The Fuhr*

Id rather methot.

Both Hejda and Methot are UFAs at the end of the season... Methot is better long term because of age but that's meaningless with no term on his deal.

Methot gets a 2nd+3rd as a rental... Same type of value I think Hejda has

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
feel for you guys on this trade, VAN got jipped for Kesler probably worse but he only had 1 team on his list.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you lose and ultimately end up bottoming out with. Look at Boston with Joe Thornton. Atleast you guys have decent youth with Turris/Karlsson/Zbad/Lazar, definitley some building blocks there. Are you guys rooting for Spezza? Most Canucks fans want Kes to suffer.

Well, we were whittled down to one team at the end as well according to Murray.

I still like Spezza. I wish him well in his new location.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's a smart, smart man.

Agreed on all accounts. Ya, Spezza has his rights yadee yadee ya but man would that Nashville deal look amazing right about now.

I'm still pretty happy we got anything for Spezza, tbh. I was just hoping Murray manipulated the market to get a total steal.

Spezza will never be a winner, even though I think he'll play his *** off next year for his new contract and to show everyone he's still good. Lol, good riddance.

After pondering it a while, I think this is exactly why he bolted this summer. He's going to have to do his damned best to get his mitts into Dallas' pocketbook before Xmas. He knows the longer it takes to get a deal, the likelihood of his back going snafu increases exponentially. He knows that he and Hemsky will be deadly short-term, and that's all he needs for a payday. It's no coincidence they both ended up on the same team.

I don't think it really had much to do with Ottawa's rebuild, the fans, or the media at all. It's all about that last big contract.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
feel for you guys on this trade, VAN got jipped for Kesler probably worse but he only had 1 team on his list.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you lose and ultimately end up bottoming out with. Look at Boston with Joe Thornton. Atleast you guys have decent youth with Turris/Karlsson/Zbad/Lazar, definitley some building blocks there. Are you guys rooting for Spezza? Most Canucks fans want Kes to suffer.

Meh at least you guys got a top a first a top 6 forward and a bottom pairing dman thats more then we can say atm. Thanks for the sympathy though. I'll be rooting for Spezza because truth be told were probably a better team overall without him imo the only thing that will really suffer is the pp. I think Spezza thinks the sens will do better without him too plus he deserves some fans that actually appreciate him for what he is. I was more pissed when alfie left cause it was such a shock.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The personality of some sports fans makes them want to scapegoat. When the margin between winning and losing is pretty small, a lot of little things can make a difference. The choice of who to sign, decisions on who to dress, or who goes out on a particular shift. It is highly complex.

It is so much easier to say "**** Phillips, he is killing us!" than to look at the bigger and more complicated picture.

Management and the media create their own whipping boys too.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
After pondering it a while, I think this is exactly why he bolted this summer. He's going to have to do his damned best to get his mitts into Dallas' pocketbook before Xmas. He knows the longer it takes to get a deal, the likelihood of his back going snafu increases exponentially. He knows that he and Hemsky will be deadly short-term, and that's all he needs for a payday. It's no coincidence they both ended up on the same team.

I don't think it really had much to do with Ottawa's rebuild, the fans, or the media at all. It's all about that last big contract.

Yeah, Spezza is really going to have to step it up and show people he's still good after finishing in the top 30 in scoring for the umpteenth time in his career in his worst ever season playing injured. What a loser!

Hey, he'll never be a winner though he doesn't have what it takes to carry a team to the Cup (I mean, just the final, but since we didn't win he's a flop).

Oh also, it's ok because we traded our 70 - 90 point franchise centre for a 35 point 23 year old who is extremely hard working (still a -21, but that's only a talking point with Spezza) and a 2nd round pick. Or wait, maybe that's a bad return.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, Spezza is really going to have to step it up and show people he's still good after finishing in the top 30 in scoring for the umpteenth time in his career in his worst ever season playing injured. What a loser!

Hey, he'll never be a winner though he doesn't have what it takes to carry a team to the Cup (I mean, just the final, but since we didn't win he's a flop).

Oh also, it's ok because we traded our 70 - 90 point franchise centre for a 35 point 23 year old who is extremely hard working (still a -21, but that's only a talking point with Spezza) and a 2nd round pick. Or wait, maybe that's a bad return.

Come on, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Spezza is 31 with long-term back issues. If he stuck around with Ottawa and got hurt again, he was lose out big time on July 1st, 2015.

He obviously wasn't getting the contract here with Scrooge holding the purse strings. His only option for that last big contract was to go to a team in a good situation somewhere else with insulation and deep pockets.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The Whipping boy is going to be one of our best players.

Everyone knows Phillips is not good anymore. The focus will be on Karlsson, Turris, Mac, and Ryan.

Pierre is saying right now on the radio that management in Ottawa never stood behind Spezza like other Gm's have with their star players. "it's hard to win without superstars". You Need 2 dominant centers, 2 elite forwards, 2 d men who can log 25 minutes, and an elite goalie to win.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pierre is saying right now on the radio that management in Ottawa never stood behind Spezza like other Gm's have with their star players. "it's hard to win without superstars". You Need 2 dominant centers, 2 elite forwards, 2 d men who can log 25 minutes, and an elite goalie to win.

This has always been obvious. Spezza was never backed the way that most superstar players are. I don't blame him for leaving at all.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone wanna make Alex Chiasson the new whipping boy? He seems like a prime target. Big but not overly physical, a sizeably minus player, replacing a super star who he will never ever become close to filling the void of and hes know for missing empty net goals like condra and kelly

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Anyone wanna make Alex Chiasson the new whipping boy? He seems like a prime target. Big but not overly physical, a sizeably minus player, replacing a super star who he will never ever become close to filling the void of and hes know for missing empty net goals like condra and kelly

Let the kid play a second in Ottawa before you start criticizing him.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Let the kid play a second in Ottawa before you start criticizing him.

A random quote from a stars poster

"Chiasson was kinda a whipping boy for the Stars last season for some. Make no mistake though, the guy could be really good, or really bad, he is a tough player to figure out."

He was born to play the role

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
A random quote from a stars poster

"Chiasson was kinda a whipping boy for the Stars last season for some. Make no mistake though, the guy could be really good, or really bad, he is a tough player to figure out."

He was born to play the role

i think it's a real bad idea to even joke about making someone a whipping boy. it doesn't help anyone

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I watched all video I could get on him. Seems like an average skater, not great but at that size it's not a big deal. Seems like a great playmaker from the wing and goes to the net well. Seems to have good finish around there too.

I see a guy that could mesh with Zibby. Hope it works out for us, if he's a good top 6 winger we do just fine from this trade. All we're losing is one year of Spezza in a season where we don't have the resources to compete anyway. I would have liked more, but the market wasn't there.

Oct 10, 2010

People on here will be hating as some think he'll be a 30 goal player, just because he got traded for Spezza " so he must be fantastic'

When they come back down to reality, Chiasson will be the whipping boy just because of unrealistic expectations.

The Fuhr*

Chiasson
265PP minutes = 13PP points

For comparison sake on Ottawa:
Spezza 229PP = 22Pts
MacArthur 204PP = 15Pts
Turris 197PP = 14Pts
Ryan 176PP = 9Pts

Chiasson offensive upside is not that good...

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Chiasson
265PP minutes = 13PP points

For comparison sake on Ottawa:
Spezza 229PP = 22Pts
MacArthur 204PP = 15Pts
Turris 197PP = 14Pts
Ryan 176PP = 9Pts

Chiasson offensive upside is not that good...
At his age, he's still got potential to develop. Not unreasonable at all to project 20/30/50. That's not a bad player to have.

Maybe we get lucky and he develops a bit of speed (we've had luck there with some guys) and that opens up a bit more offense for him.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Stars fan here:

I'm sure Spezza and Hemsky will help out our PP, but where on the unit do both of those play, and how are they most effective?

The Fuhr*

At his age, he's still got potential to develop. Not unreasonable at all to project 20/30/50. That's not a bad player to have.

Maybe we get lucky and he develops a bit of speed (we've had luck there with some guys) and that opens up a bit more offense for him.

If that's the case he still won't be getting 265PP minutes again... He's going to need to improve substantially to put up better numbers with less ice time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad