Spezza, L. Karlsson traded to DAL for Chiasson, Part II: Cue the next whipping boy.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Oh for sure, this kid's got a hell of a motor.

I was just saying that he shouldn't be expecting goals like that once he goes pro.

I'm probably as high as anyone is on Paul, watched alot of the Battalion's first season in North Bay, but I see him as a good to great 3rd liner at best. If he's gonna be a goal scorer, its gonna be from potting a lot of ugly goals off rebounds, sniping is not something you see from him often.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I wanted to trade Spezza, but the return for a star player in what could be some of his best years, was flat out horrible.

seems lika Dallas wanted those three guys gone anyway.

Oh well, no more piss poor defensive efforts from the Captain of the Senators.

Btw, who is the new captain?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I wanted to trade Spezza, but the return for a star player in what could be some of his best years, was flat out horrible.

I'm starting to understand why no one takes Sens fans seriously on the main board... Want a King's ransom for a terrible defensive player UFA in 1 year, and who have bigger chances than most to be injured most of that 1 year. Very realistic and not contradictory at all.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Chiasson is a less talented version of Mark Stone. He's also not as physical or prolific at any other level of hockey. A slowish playmaking winger who's shown he can put some pucks in the net at the NHL level. He's a guy that's imo gonna need to be put in a scoring role to have a positive effect on the club. Don't expect a whole lot from him, he probably tops out as a 20 goal man.

I have watched every NHL game he has played. He looked a solid 2nd line guy until the flu bug and the Peverley thing happened.

He really has pretty sweet hands and a pretty sweet touch when not under weight and getting pushed around. People get fooled by his big frame and think he should be a big banging winger which he is most definitely not.

His biggest asset is his hockey IQ. He sees the ice really really well. When playing with veteran guys who see the ice well he can really look good. He makes the right plays and they turn into scoring chances. I do think his potential is 50-60 pts and his scoring depends greatly on his linemates because of playing such a team game.

He was expendable in dallas because of Nuke and the coming of Ritchie. As the season went on, speed and attack clearly became the team identity and Chiasson did not flourish in that. He is a more space based and cerebral player.

He will almost certainly be a solid 2nd line playmaker for many years.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah. They definitely hated them.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I have watched every NHL game he has played. He looked a solid 2nd line guy until the flu bug and the Peverley thing happened.

He really has pretty sweet hands and a pretty sweet touch when not under weight and getting pushed around. People get fooled by his big frame and think he should be a big banging winger which he is most definitely not.

His biggest asset is his hockey IQ. He sees the ice really really well. When playing with veteran guys who see the ice well he can really look good. He makes the right plays and they turn into scoring chances. I do think his potential is 50-60 pts and his scoring depends greatly on his linemates because of playing such a team game.

He was expendable in dallas because of Nuke and the coming of Ritchie. As the season went on, speed and attack clearly became the team identity and Chiasson did not flourish in that. He is a more space based and cerebral player.

He will almost certainly be a solid 2nd line playmaker for many years.

This was very insightful, thanks for posting!! :)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Meh, I'd put Milo with Zib and Ryan. Could be an interesting line, and Milo + Zibby have shown chemistry before, as have Zibby + Ryan.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
http://t.co/wsYHomuFV8

Ian Mendes interviewing Spezza. It is excellent.

RECAP:

- move beneficial for both parties
- happy to end up in Dallas
- goal of Spezza's was to be traded without hoopla, but that was never going to happen. Just wanted to stay quiet during the process
- has lots of respect for Murray, media skews things. Great relationship.
- trade was entirely Spezza's request, he has to live with the consequences
- Organization is going through a "different period", taking a "different approach", at the point in his career he wanted to move on & get a fresh start somewhere else.
- trade allowed Sens to get younger.
- Spez knew it was time to move on.
- Idea that being captain added pressure "is bogus" to Spezza. If anything, being captain was more of an incentive to stay.
- Spezza takes it hard when his team struggles.
- Phillips one of the most mature people Spezza has ever been around in his career, inferred that he'd be a natural fit for captain.
- Karlsson provides confidence, can be a positive as far as inspiration is concerned for the team in a leadership role.
- At the end of the day, doesn't want to offer endorsement for Sens captain, not his place as a member of another team.
- Wanted to play his whole career in Ottawa & win a cup here, but circumstances change.
- passionate about the game
- when asked whether Jaques Martin was good for his game: "Well... I learned a lot"
- Thinks Cup Finals ('07) team was best team. Hasek-era team was the best collection of guys on paper, but couldn't put it together.
- Bryan Murray was a great coach and everyone loved playing for him. Most frustrating time as Sen was 3-4 year period of coaching carousels after Murray became GM. Sens peak ended after good coach (Murray) was replaced by stream of guys who "tried to re-invent the wheel".
- Ottawa is a great community city, a very respectful city.
- Tough to move on, would have been easier just to re-sign.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
RECAP:

- move beneficial for both parties
- happy to end up in Dallas
- goal of Spezza's was to be traded without hoopla, but that was never going to happen. Just wanted to stay quiet during the process
- has lots of respect for Murray, media skews things. Great relationship.
- trade was entirely Spezza's request, he has to live with the consequences
- Organization is going through a "different period", taking a "different approach", at the point in his career he wanted to move on & get a fresh start somewhere else.
- trade allowed Sens to get younger.
- Spez knew it was time to move on.
- Idea that being captain added pressure "is bogus" to Spezza. If anything, being captain was more of an incentive to stay.
- Spezza takes it hard when his team struggles.
- Phillips one of the most mature people Spezza has ever been around in his career, inferred that he'd be a natural fit for captain.
- Karlsson provides confidence, can be a positive as far as inspiration is concerned for the team in a leadership role.
- At the end of the day, doesn't want to offer endorsement for Sens captain, not his place as a member of another team.
- Wanted to play his whole career in Ottawa & win a cup here, but circumstances change.
- passionate about the game
- when asked whether Jaques Martin was good for his game: "Well... I learned a lot"
- Thinks Cup Finals ('07) team was best team. Hasek-era team was the best collection of guys on paper, but couldn't put it together.
- Bryan Murray was a great coach and everyone loved playing for him. Most frustrating time as Sen was 3-4 year period of coaching carousels after Murray became GM. Sens peak ended after good coach (Murray) was replaced by stream of guys who "tried to re-invent the wheel".
- Ottawa is a great community city, a very respectful city.
- Tough to move on, would have been easier just to re-sign.

Nice recap.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, cause that's exactly what I said, right?

#strawman

I don't think hashtags have an effect on this hockey board
You said salad wanted to get rid of those three guys. Like. They looked at there roster and identified those three and people they wanted to ship out. And of course. Use the dumb Sens happily obliged.
No.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad