Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Im thinking this is somewhat a ploy to boost his value. By dragging out this process as long as he can, maybe he thinks wherever he signs would give him the opportunity of a spot in the opening lineup. That's all I can think of for a reason aside from what he said in his interviews about school

Also, footnote:
He follows the Oilers and Eskimos on Twitter, and no other NHL teams. Not that it matters, still think he goes to Calgary but if he doesn't I will gladly eat crow.

I imagine every team is telling him the same thing. He'll have a chance to compete for a spot out of camp and if he makes it, great, if not he'll develop in the AHL. I doubt anyone is even close to offering him a guaranteed spot opening night.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I imagine every team is telling him the same thing. He'll have a chance to compete for a spot out of camp and if he makes it, great, if not he'll develop in the AHL. I doubt anyone is even close to offering him a guaranteed spot opening night.

He said his goal is to be on a roster on opening night as per his interview. If that IS in fact the case, Detroit or Vegas? Both lacking offensively (obv. VGK)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He said his goal is to be on a roster on opening night as per his interview. If that IS in fact the case, Detroit or Vegas? Both lacking offensively (obv. VGK)

Oh I'm sure he is looking at team depth charts very closely. It's probably why he delayed the decision because he wanted to see how the expansion draft would shake out.

I just don't think any team is going to guarantee a player like him a roster spot.

Vegas and Detroit both make quite a bit of sense. We might not have a tonne of high end depth on the RW right now, but we've got 4 or 5 guys who seem pretty locked in to a RW spot on the team right now and he'd need to beat one or two out and that could be a challenge. I haven't looked at anyone else's depth chart to see how he'd match up against competition.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Foo is not better than Cags. Keep in mind Cags also had to play C and PK.
Accomplished what Foo did a year younger and way better 2way game to boot and then almost got sent down on a half assed Oilers depth team. Showed how good he can be on the wing last half of the season

In all things considered...Jimmy Vesey didn't have a better year than Cagsn as he was gifted top line minutes and bombed once he was on the 3rd line...with way more talent. Also a year older

Foo is not gonna walk in and be a tier above.

Last edited:

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Foo is not better than Cags. Keep in mind Cags also had to play C and PK.
Accomplished what Foo did a year younger and almost got sent down on a half assed Oilers depth team. Showed how good he can be on the wing last half of the season

Foo could very easily be better than Cags. Caggiula had an extra year in college, and he played on a stacked North Dakota with other NHL caliber players. I don't see much on the roster for Union that look to be even relatively NHL ready, aside from Vecchione. Sure he put up more points in one season compared to Foo, but the breakout year was Hobey Baker huge.

I'm sure Foo could easily do both of those things, play a different position and PK, but each player has their own skill sets. Foo is faster, looks to me that he has a quicker release and a better set of hands. Though they're both gritty, Foo doesn't strike me as the little warrior that is Drake Caggiula. Don't get me wrong, I like Caggiula and think he's got boat loads of potential, but I think Foo has just as much IMO.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

So...I guess nobody knows anything then? Lol

Vegas or Detroit would make sense. There are a lot of open spots up for grabs and chances are he'd be able to play right away. EDM? Could be tricky. But maybe the thought of being able to play with McDavid down the road is a good reason to sign. /shrug Be great if we could land him though. Can never have too much good, young talent.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Foo could very easily be better than Cags. Caggiula had an extra year in college, and he played on a stacked North Dakota with other NHL caliber players. I don't see much on the roster for Union that look to be even relatively NHL ready, aside from Vecchione. Sure he put up more points in one season compared to Foo, but the breakout year was Hobey Baker huge.

I'm sure Foo could easily do both of those things, play a different position and PK, but each player has their own skill sets. Foo is faster, looks to me that he has a quicker release and a better set of hands. Though they're both gritty, Foo doesn't strike me as the little warrior that is Drake Caggiula. Don't get me wrong, I like Caggiula and think he's got boat loads of potential, but I think Foo has just as much IMO.

He could easily be worse.

Spencer Foo's 20-21 year old age: 25 points in 39 games
Caggiula's 20-21 year old age: 36 points in 42 games

Spencer Foo's 21-22 year old age: 25 points in 36 games
Caggiula's 21-22 year old age: 51 points in 39 games

Even with the extra years of college hockey, that 21-22 year old season point difference is huge.

North Dakota plays in a harder college division too. ECAC has always been the weakest.

I still want Foo, but some perspective is in order, especially if we don't land him.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
It's crazy to declare that Foo is already better than Caggiula before he plays a single game in the NHL.

Sure he has the potential to be better, but I could say the same about Joseph Gambardella. He put up great numbers in a better league than Foo.

NCAA free agents are so tough to judge. Maybe I'm old school, but I think it's kind of crazy that Foo is really looking for an NHL job after one really good season in the ECAC. Sure he could make the team, but he doesn't seem open to playing in the AHL and I don't really like that.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
He's really not that great of a prospect. I would like the Oilers to get him, but he's not going to make this team better.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Dont think he will pick Flames just because of his connections\ties in Edmonton.
Joining them would make him a public enemy of some sort just because its the Flames and because he would have snubbed Edmonton to join them... ala Versteeg.

DET is safe place for him if he wants to avoid drama within his friends\family circles. Edmonton is a good place for him if he wants to be among people who will love him even if doesnt amount to much.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
i pity the Foo that hasnt made his decision yet

There really is no rush.. maybe he wants to see what teams like DET, EDM and CGY will do next week and if any of them load up on RWers hurting his chances of making the team.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Don't know much about this Foo, but the Oilers aren't exactly stacked at RW. Regardless of that, it's strange to me how "chance to play right way" and depth chart matters so much. Things change a lot in 2-3 years which should be around the time players this age will be good enough to make an impact if things go well. (hope that makes sense).

Doesn't it seem players that do these tours of teams as an FA usually leave the ones they feel are the best match until last? Most likely to pick 1 of the last 2? What is this guys schedule this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad