Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If he goes to the AHL, earns a solid paycheque, and makes the most of his opportunity, the NHL roster spot WILL come. Lots of the Oilers guys listed above like Laleggia and Khaira and Pa and even Pulju are either marginal prospects or not ready yet themselves. I guess he chooses if he wants to be part of SOMETHING or wants cash.

An NHL roster spot may come, or it may not.

We are talking earning a guaranteed 1 million dollars, or 70,000 with potentially a chance to make a million dollars later.

It wouldn't be easy to turn down the guaranteed $1 million.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
An NHL roster spot may come, or it may not.

We are talking earning a guaranteed 1 million dollars, or 70,000 with potentially a chance to make a million dollars later.

It wouldn't be easy to turn down the guaranteed $1 million.

You're right, it would be hard to turn down... Guy could go the harder route to a contending team and thru the AHL, hurt his neck in training camp and collect an injury settlement on his AHL salary and be out of hockey... Would be tough.

Personally I think we're overlooking Gambardella as a potential player for the bottom 6 next year.... He's got an interesting makeup.

calvinguy

Sep 12, 2010
I can't believe some people are getting pissed off at the guy. He's trying to make the right choice for his career. Not an easy choice to make for sure.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I can't believe some people are getting pissed off at the guy. He's trying to make the right choice for his career. Not an easy choice to make for sure.

I don't think people are getting mad at him, we're just questioning his intentions. Does he want to be gifted an NHL spot or does he want to earn it?

At the end of the day, we don't know him at all and to each their own. It would be a tough decision for anyone.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
You're right, it would be hard to turn down... Guy could go the harder route to a contending team and thru the AHL, hurt his neck in training camp and collect an injury settlement on his AHL salary and be out of hockey... Would be tough.

Personally I think we're overlooking Gambardella as a potential player for the bottom 6 next year.... He's got an interesting makeup.

Totally forgot about him. He had some success in a few AHL games to end the year, right? He could surprise and play half the year up here.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
I don't think people are getting mad at him, we're just questioning his intentions. Does he want to be gifted an NHL spot or does he want to earn it?

At the end of the day, we don't know him at all and to each their own. It would be a tough decision for anyone.

Yup. Pour your life into some day having the opportunity to play in the NHL. One team says you have a spot, the other says maybe. Sorry, you can characterize it as gifting, but I know which way I would go.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I get that he wants to play but if he wants to play in Edmonton he'll have to earn it like everyone else. Vegas is probably the right place for him then.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The fans aren't going to boo him, no one will remember him if he signs somewhere else. I'm certainly not expecting the guy to turn down close to a million dollars, if not more, to play with his hometown team.

When was the last time, the college player went on to become an impact player in the NHL? I remember all the hype about Caggiula last year. He's barely an NHLer now and maybe will be lucky to develop into a regular player down the road.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When was the last time, the college player went on to become an impact player in the NHL? I remember all the hype about Caggiula last year. He's barely an NHLer now and maybe will be lucky to develop into a regular player down the road.

Well he was a regular as a rookie on a team that went two rounds deep in the playoffs.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Tyler Johnson comes to mind. Matt Read looked like he would be good but has regressed. Obviously the Penguins have hit on a few lately.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
He'll sign with the Oilers, would you want to play with McDavid or against him. (Signing in Calgary)

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North

Conor Sheary for the Pens
Bryan Rust for the Pens
Danny Dekeyser for the Wings
Josh Manson for the Ducks

A few off the top of my head.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He'll sign with the Oilers, would you want to play with McDavid or against him. (Signing in Calgary)

More like..do you want to play for Edm fans or against them!
He would be public enemy of sorts if he goes to our rivals after snubbing us.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
More like..do you want to play for Edm fans or against them!
He would be public enemy of sorts if he goes to our rivals after snubbing us.

It's like, do you wanna get wrecked by Looch Kass and Maroon? Or do you wanna wreck with Looch Kass and Maroon?

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Yup. Pour your life into some day having the opportunity to play in the NHL. One team says you have a spot, the other says maybe. Sorry, you can characterize it as gifting, but I know which way I would go.

Opportunity is funny in hockey... My nephew was something of a big deal in Midget AAA and was scouted all over but was "guaranteed" a spot in Vernon with the BCJ... his big goal was NCAA and that was a solid avenue. We went to Vernon and I watched - he was clearly ahead of a couple guys for that last spot or two of the 7 D they'd keep. Of course he didn't get the spot, then was too late to come back home and really make a team... so enrolled in University here for the second term, hockey dream done. All it would have taken was that ONE opportunity and who knows - could have made the team, played two years, played well, got an NCAA Scholy like he wanted... it all came down to someone saying yes or picking him. Perhaps he could have chosen a different BCJ team or AJ team that was looking at him.

When that door opens, you best run with the best opportunity.

(That said, if THIS OILERS TEAM was offering me a shot, I'd think back to being courted by PIT or CHICAGO 10+ years ago and what could have been)

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
I get that he wants to play but if he wants to play in Edmonton he'll have to earn it like everyone else. Vegas is probably the right place for him then.

Vegas or Calgary; both are pretty weak up front. Refer back to Versteeg signing with the flames. Would have been a 4th liner here but played on the first line in Calgary.

If I was Foo I would probably choose the flames for that reason. Plus they have a good D and are looking to win now.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Hey Spencer, June is almost over. It's time to make a decision you prima donna ;)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not justifying things if we dont get him, but another perspective. Foo shot 18% this year and his two linemates shot 22%. If you look at Foos progression and vechhiones they pretty much show 2 players having really lucky years. Not to mention they played in the ECAC, which IIRC is a weaker conference

Foo:
11goals, 25 points
12 goals, 25 points
26 goals, 62 points

Vecchione
9 goals, 20 points
29 goals, 63 points

This is from Ryan Lambert who says Foo will never play in the NHL. Ryan Lambert is one of biggest NCAA followers out there and pretty in tune with these guys. He was way colder on Vesey then 95% of media was last year (when they were calling him a 25 goal scorer this year) and looks to be pretty accurate. T he was actually really high on Gamberdella and called him best forward FA in NCAA

So Ive actually really cooled on Foo and see him more of a AHL guy then future NHLer. that career path and shooting % scream extremely lucky year. Wouldnt mind getting him, but if we do its not for NHL likely

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Not justifying things if we dont get him, but another perspective. Foo shot 18% this year and his two linemates shot 22%. If you look at Foos progression and vechhiones they pretty much show 2 players having really lucky years. Not to mention they played in the ECAC, which IIRC is a weaker conference

Foo:
11goals, 25 points
12 goals, 25 points
26 goals, 62 points

Vecchione
9 goals, 20 points
29 goals, 63 points

This is from Ryan Lambert who says Foo will never play in the NHL. Ryan Lambert is one of biggest NCAA followers out there and pretty in tune with these guys. He was way colder on Vesey then 95% of media was last year (when they were calling him a 25 goal scorer this year) and looks to be pretty accurate. T he was actually really high on Gamberdella and called him best forward FA in NCAA

So Ive actually really cooled on Foo and see him more of a AHL guy then future NHLer. that career path and shooting % scream extremely lucky year. Wouldnt mind getting him, but if we do its not for NHL likely

I only agree with this if he doesn't sign in Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest