Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Let's get as negative as possible.

It's amazing in here my positivity thread got 175 posts all year running from OCT to playoffs and the team had it's best season in 11 years with so many positives. Some one should make a negativity thread I bet it fills up faster than Trade rumor agent

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Every team is offering him max ELC.

I don't think Foo is anything special at all, the only reason he is sought after is because he's free. In saying that it's nice to have hometown talent.

Tho as an Oilers fan, he's seen what the Oilers have done in the last week, he's probably been a bit turned off.
I doubt that a lot of teams were in on Caggiula and Benning as well last year they never got max ELC

Jun 9, 2011
It's amazing in here my positivity thread got 175 posts all year running from OCT to playoffs and the team had it's best season in 11 years with so many positives. Some one should make a negativity thread I bet it fills up faster than Trade rumor agent
A decade of conditioning.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Hometown.
Read.

It's only three hours away, it's not gonna be much different there. It's like a guy from Leduc signing with Oilers: it's not his hometown persay, but it's close enough.

And then if he doesn't pan out, CGY fans will be "He should've just signed with Edmonton" or some crap. :laugh:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Why? Because we drafted a midget who is at least two or three years away? If that deters him then maybe we don't want him.

And we traded a player that actually would have been blocking him so...I'm not sure why that would deter Foo.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Calgary makes more sense for him tbh. That's the one team that might actually have a bigger need on RW than the Oilers. I think the drafting of Yamamoto (even though he's a few years away) pretty much sealed him not signing here.

I'm not sore about him signing there but it's just funny how they always seem to one up the Oilers with Hamilton, Hamonic, Versteeg and now maybe Foo.
Treiviling making Chia look like a Foo. Been wanting to use that one for a while ;)

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
Last year versteeg this year foo. Battle of Alberta ramping up. They got better and we are standing still. Should be closer than the sweep last season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Calgary makes more sense for him tbh. That's the one team that might actually have a bigger need on RW than the Oilers. I think the drafting of Yamamoto (even though he's a few years away) pretty much sealed him not signing here.

I'm not sore about him signing there but it's just funny how they always seem to one up the Oilers with Hamilton, Hamonic, Versteeg and now maybe Foo.
Treiviling making Chia look like a Foo. Been wanting to use that one for a while ;)

And the one upping hasn't really done much for them.

Hamilton is good but not great. He has his ups and downs.

Versteeg is a free agent again and last season was okay for them, nothing to write home about.

They paid a premium for Hamonic. The type of premium you don't pay for that kind of d man.

Foo would be a nice add to a prospect pool, but is no sure thing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And the one upping hasn't really done much for them.

Hamilton is good but not great. He has his ups and downs.

Versteeg is a free agent again and last season was okay for them, nothing to write home about.

They paid a premium for Hamonic. The type of premium you don't pay for that kind of d man.

Foo would be a nice add to a prospect pool, but is no sure thing.

Hamilton is just as good as any Oiler Dman and there is some risk with Hamonic but I admire a GM that "goes for it". It's really only a late 1st (in all likelihood), and two late 2nds, not really a big premium for the sake of competing now.

Lets be honest, if Chia had pulled off Hamilton and Hamonic by only giving up draft picks (none being even a top 14 pick), we would be lauding him as a genius.

In any event, Calgary is building something real good down there. Nice to see the BoA become competitive again even though I hate those guys.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The last NCAA FA that the Flames pulled the rug from beneath us was Kenney Morrison. No guarantee that Foo will amount to much regardless of where he signs. Naturally I'd like to sign him as he's a free prospect and he could be NHL ready sooner than later, but it won't be the end of the world if he signs with Calgary or elsewhere.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hamilton is just as good as any Oiler Dman and there is some risk with Hamonic but I admire a GM that "goes for it". It's really only a late 1st (in all likelihood), and two late 2nds, not really a big premium for the sake of competing now.

Lets be honest, if Chia had pulled off Hamilton and Hamonic by only giving up draft picks (none being even a top 15 pick), we would be lauding him as a genius.

In any event, Calgary is building something real good down there. Nice to see the BoA become competitive again even though I hate those guys.

So uhhh about that, we would've given up the pick to take Puljujarvi had we added Hamilton since clearly our package wasn't good enough to them. Also does no one else remember that Chia was in on Hamilton but Boston spurned him because of bad blood? Not Chia's fault that Boston's brain trust were d-bags. We likely would've had to have added the Puljujarvi pick or Nurse in as a sweetener to get them to not be ass***** about things.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
Hey, the Flames need all the help they can get. I forgot what the # was, but that team had an insane low amount of regulation wins versus playoff teams. From November or December on wards, it was atrocious. There are no 3 on 3 and SO's in the playoffs.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So uhhh about that, we would've given up the pick to take Puljujarvi had we added Hamilton. Also does no one else remember that Chia was in on Hamilton but Boston spurned him because of bad blood? Not Chia's fault that Boston's brain trust were d-bags.

No, the Oilers would have given up the picks that they wound up giving up for Reinhart.

Regardless, I don't blame Chia for not getting Hamilton. Just saying that the Flames always seem to get the guys the Oilers are after. Hell, the Oilers have been after Hamonic for years and the Flames pull it off in a matter of a week. Just a bit frustrating

Chia is so incredibly lucky to have walked into a McDavid situation.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Lets be honest, if Chia had pulled off Hamilton and Hamonic by only giving up draft picks (none being even a top 14 pick), we would be lauding him as a genius.

Hamilton needs sheltering to be effective. I take Klefbom and Larsson at their price tags any day of the week.

I wouldn't give up those picks for a Hamonic that is oft injured and regressing the past two seasons. Like I said in another thread, those picks I would give for d man like Trouba, one who is trending up not down.

I don't care what Calgary does really.

They keep spinning their tires. They're mortgaging their future for no sure things and it's going to bite them in the butt.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No, the Oilers would have given up the picks that they wound up giving up for Reinhart.

Regardless, I don't blame Chia for not getting Hamilton. Just saying that the Flames always seem to get the guys the Oilers are after. Hell, the Oilers have been after Hamonic for years and the Flames pull it off in a matter of a week. Just a bit frustrating

We offered those picks and at least one more and were shot down.

Hamonic seems to have had a **** poor season last year and has been injury prone of late. Could we use him? Sure we could. But there must be reason(s) why we steered clear of him. FA has not started yet, if we walk away with nothing then I will join in on the pity party, until then I'm not too worried.

As for the picks, would you rather have the picks of a team that sneaked into the playoffs or a team 1 win away from the WCF? We could be talking picks #14-23 vs picks #23-31 of the 1st and 2nd rounds. Do you add a sweetener on top of those picks to even it up?

North

Jun 25, 2009
We offered those picks and at least one more and were shot down.

Hamonic seems to have had a **** poor season last year and has been injury prone of late. Could we use him? Sure we could. But there must be reason(s) why we steered clear of him. FA has not started yet, if we walk away with nothing then I will join in on the pity party, until then I'm not too worried.

I think the answer to why we steered clear is in your response. He had a **** poor season last year and is injury prone. He would have cost a first and two seconds whereas Russell (who it's been reported Calgary was interested in re-signing) only costs money. Hamonic is a little cheaper but not much and the assets on top is a steep price to pay.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think people realize that Foo isn't even a Caggiula level prospect. He's a full tier below that, imo. If the Flames or anyone else are guaranteeing NHL playing time they'll be worse off for it.

Foo simply adds another name to the prospect pool.

Don't think guaranteeing NHL playing time is ever a smart idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad