McKenzie: (Speculation) Matthews could sign 5-6 year deal for 11-12 Million dollars this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
High cap hit but that’s fine.

The term is concerning. Only five years?

Combine that with the upcoming Marner deal, Nylander and Tavares deal and the Leafs are in cap trouble very quickly.

Listen, anything can happen in five years.. but I don't see how the Leafs will keep this team together over the next decade.

Especially if they win a cup or two and give their players more bargaining power. Though, I suppose many will feel it will be worth it if they do win it all.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Dubas needed to sign Matthews. Irregardless of how it got done. The fear always was how much he would get and what it would leave on the table to shore up the D. He will get Marner signed, but he is barely leaving any money on the table to fill other holes.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The only problem is Matthews is getting 5-6 years @ $11.5 M. Per Mackenzie. Why is he giving up 2-3 UFA years for $500K. He’s not. Reality will hit for Leafs fans soon. Great team but that’s the problem — tough to keep them together.

Huh? you mean for a $500K premium over the $11M he's already going to get right?

I find it funny, fans of so many teams frothing at the mouth about reality hitting. The goal posts shift every year. "Yeah right they won't make the playoffs they were last place last year". Leafs make playoffs. "Leafs won't make it out of first round!!! hahahahah". Now all of a sudden the goal posts have moved to "reality will hit the Leafs when Matthews hits UFA in 6 years he's going to go to the USA".

LOL. It's actually pretty fun watching you and your ilk.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Odd reaction in this thread. Almost as if individuals who don't like the Leafs are doing a bit of mental gymnastics while simultaneously lubing up for the next half decade.

Its fun.

Reactions: Macch

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Listen, anything can happen in five years.. but I don't see how the Leafs will keep this team together over the next decade.

Especially if they win a cup or two and give their players more bargaining power. Though, I suppose many will feel it will be worth it if they do win it all.

It’s fair to be in win now mode, but also can’t ignore the impending cap problems the Leafs will have tied into five players.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Dubas needed to sign Matthews. Irregardless of how it got done. The fear always was how much he would get and what it would leave on the table to shore up the D. He will get Marner signed, but he is barely leaving any money on the table to fill other holes.
you mean Dubas needed to sign Matthews in September

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Unlike Matthews, Marner will have a 70 point season under his belt, strong playoff production and no injury history going into negotiations.

Magic Mitch and Darren Ferris must be licking their chops after seeing Dubas get bullied by Matthews/Nylander's agents.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
One's already playing #1D minutes/usage in the AHL at 19 and one is on a 45 point pace as an 18 year old despite being known as a defense-first player. Neither of them will see the AHL after 2020.

I'm not saying they're going to be top pair defensemen on day 1, they just need to be roughly as good as Dermott is right now: capable of driving possession on a sheltered bottom pairing or being the support guy on a 2nd pairing.

I get what you're saying but disagree with the assumption that their floor in first few seasons is a bottom pairing. The 82 game grind of the NHL takes a lot of mental and physical maturity on top of just skill and hockey IQ. I don't agree with banking on prospects to solve cap problems as a winning formula.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The cap hit is in the right ballpark but the term is not.

Yeah, not really surprised at the $$ but that's only a single year of UFA bought up? I see it from the "contend now" perspective and bringing in Tavares for $11M set the bar (plus Eichel, etc.) but I'm not sure how they'll balance things going forward. Is Marner worth that much less?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Odd reaction in this thread. Almost as if individuals who don't like the Leafs are doing a bit of mental gymnastics while simultaneously lubing up for the next half decade.

Its fun.
It might be a little late to lube it up after what Nylander did to Dubas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad