McKenzie: (Speculation) Matthews could sign 5-6 year deal for 11-12 Million dollars this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Bob said on TSN right before the Leafs game that the logical conclusion is that a 5-6 year deal would be done this week for around 11-12 million$.

Personally i think thats an overpayment and doubt the Leafs will pay that. Most likely they are close to a deal and the Leafs are leaking a higher number than what he will sign for so theres a better fan reception and they can say he took a discount. Same thing happened when Oilers leaked Mcdavid was going to sign for 14 million a couple days before his 12.5 million$ deal.

Appologies if its already been posted but i checked the first two pages and there was nothing there. If anyone has a GIF would they mind posting it?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Has a lot to do with Tavares here long term blocking Matthews in a sense. Matthews will eventually want to be "the guy" and get his 1st line money at a younger age. With the cap going up and a new TV deal coming soon, agents will try and get their elite talent to UFA as soon as possible while taking higher AAV on 5-6 year post ELC deals.

Max a player can sign right now is $15.9 million (20% of cap)

Probably gets $60 million now and another $100+ million at 26-27.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Bob said on TSN right before the Leafs game that the logical conclusion is that a 5-6 year deal would be done this week for around 11-12 million$.

Personally i think thats an overpayment and doubt the Leafs will pay that.
Most likely they are close to a deal and the Leafs are leaking a higher number than what he will sign for so theres a better fan reception and they can say he took a discount. Same thing happened when Oilers leaked Mcdavid was going to sign for 14 million a couple days before his 12.5 million$ deal.

Appologies if its already been posted but i checked the first two pages and there was nothing there. If anyone has a GIF would they mind posting it?
Nylander got 7 mill a season and Matthews is miles better than him so when Nylander signed that contract Dubas was already in a bad spot if Matthews is going to sign a 6 year deal as well. No way he would get less than 10m for 6 years and 11+m is probably likely.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'd be surprised if it's that high. The agents/teams always leak a higher number then the real number is a bit lower. Probably $10.5.

Reactions: flamesforcup

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Smartest thing the leafs could do is not going full term on him. I’m sure many leaf fans won’t like it at first, but it’ll turn into a blessing sooner than later.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Nylander got 7 mill a season and Matthews is miles better than him so when Nylander signed that contract Dubas was already in a bad spot if Matthews was going to sign a 6 year deal.
Good point but if they pay that than its gonna cause Marner to want to come up too and next thing you know u have 3 guys with rich contracts.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nylander got 7 mill a season and Matthews is miles better than him so when Nylander signed that contract Dubas was already in a bad spot if Matthews is going to sign a 6 year deal as well. No way he would get less than 10m for 6 years and 11+m is probably likely.

One has nothing to do with the other.
The Eichel contract guaranteed Matthews was getting paid big.
And BTW, that NYlander contract will be viewed as a steal.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Im sure u didnt mind all the Stamkos/Mcdavid/Tavares/Doughty to Toronto threads but once its made about a Leafs player you get all triggered.
Can you imagine not even noticing those threads? How skewed would someone’s perception of reality have to be?

Reactions: flamesforcup

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Its not really a conspiracy theory if its happened before. Would u prefer the Leafs to just sign him for those numbers at 5 or 6 years then?

When has it happened before? Don't say McDavid as that was proven false, with McDavid coming in at the last minute and telling them to leave money on the table, which he probably now regrets.

Yes, sign Matthews to that contract today, tomorrow and yesterday. If it's lower, great. If not, great.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
When has it happened before? Don't say McDavid as that was proven false, with McDavid coming in at the last minute and telling them to leave money on the table, which he probably now regrets.

Yes, sign Matthews to that contract today, tomorrow and yesterday. If it's lower, great. If not, great.
Giordano for the Flames was one example where he was rumored to get 8 million and signed for 6.75. Anyways wouldnt you want that to be true? It would mean Matthews would be paid less.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Giordano for the Flames was one example where he was rumored to get 8 million and signed for 6.75. Anyways wouldnt you want that to be true? It would mean Matthews would be paid less.

Link?

Sure it's great if he signs for less, but I'm more than fine with the numbers as stated.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Link?

Sure it's great if he signs for less, but I'm more than fine with the numbers as stated.
I mean its from a few years ago idk where to get it from but i remember reading it. I guess we will find out when the Matthews signing confirmed with link thread comes out.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
So you recall about 6+ Tavares (which ended up accurate BTW) threads? around the same time?
Uhh yes there was one like every week. But the Tavares hype was nothing close to the Stamkos ones have u forgotten that? There was like 2 threads a day on that. Not to mention Mcdavid people saying hes going to sign a 5 year deal and bolt to Toronto. U have a very short memory my friend.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I mean its from a few years ago idk where to get it from but i remember reading it. I guess we will find out when the Matthews signing confirmed with link thread comes out.

So why now the belief of leaked higher numbers when almost everything reported on the Nylander deal was on point?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
God the victim complex is unbelievable.

Regardless, 11x6 is a decent contract. Not amazing by any means, but one that could be lived with. Marner deserves less money than Rantanen imo, and around the same as Aho. I think that should be in the 9 million dollar range, but I bet Marner will compare himself to Matthews/Tavares to try and boost his pay, whereas the other guys are going to be looking at Draisaitl/Eichel as comparables. Who knows how it plays out, but I feel like this summer will be a lot of waiting around, and the one that goes first will determine the pay for all the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia