McKenzie: (Speculation) Matthews could sign 5-6 year deal for 11-12 Million dollars this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I expected the same contract as Tavares. Bit heavy for one UFA year, but gotta pay what it takes to keep Matthews away from offer sheets (which I assume is the reason to rush this).

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I get what you're saying but disagree with the assumption that their floor in first few seasons is a bottom pairing. The 82 game grind of the NHL takes a lot of mental and physical maturity on top of just skill and hockey IQ. I don't agree with banking on prospects to solve cap problems as a winning formula.

They have minimum a year and a half to get ready for bottom pairing/top-4 support duties. Liljegren was meant to get the Dermott treatment this year (called up after trade deadline for sheltered minutes) before he got injured, he still might come up. Sandin's a really strong bet to make the team out of camp next year, if he doesn't then he gets the same sheltered post-deadline usage. When Muzzin is up for FA, Liljegren should have ~100 games under his belt and Sandin should have ~30. Between them and the Euro FA market, we should be fine with Rielly's new contract + a guy or two in the 4-6 million dollar range (Muzzin or otherwise).

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
For anyone under 30, unless you're a fan of the pens/bruins/blackhawks/kings/capitals your team hasn't done much in the cap era
Tampa has 3 conference finals, and Stanley cup final, and is currently the best team in the league.

anaheim has a cup and 3 conf finalists.

the preds and Sharks have done alright as well.

Big difference between them and likes of New Jersey, who hasn't been all that much better than Edmonton and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia