Soo Greyhounds 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Tonight was a good example of what home ice and last change can mean for a slower team that relies on stars rather than depth. Home ice advantage is enormous in this series and I'm glad that we have it.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Tonight was a good example of what home ice and last change can mean for a slower team that relies on stars rather than depth. Home ice advantage is enormous in this series and I'm glad that we have it.

Agreed. There's not much difference in these two clubs. Last change and line matching become the game inside the game.

And Bannister knows the Bayshore ice well.

Last night in the 3rd it was getting pretty soft . Pucks sticking everywhere.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Hounds need to get more from Speers, Senyshen, or they could be in trouble, argueably there best 2 forwards. Senyshen needs to get more engaged instead of just looking for Frost to feed him the puck as he skates on the right wing and tries to do the same move he has used all year trying to get around the left defensemen. It won't work against centarome who has played against him most of the series and speers skating 100 miles an hour with head down and chopping carrots while stickhandling won't accomplish much unless he decides to take pucks to net instead of putting breaks on everytime he crosses the opposition blue line with the puck. How many playoff goals has he scored this year? He has now played 8 playoff games, how many goals does he have ?

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Did anyone use OHL live stream for the game on Sunday evening? How was the quality of the feed? Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.

westfan

May 1, 2015
The live stream was OK. Image quality slightly better than the Soo live feed, but the actual camera angle and ability of the camera man to follow play was much better than Soo feed.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
The live stream was OK. Image quality slightly better than the Soo live feed, but the actual camera angle and ability of the camera man to follow play was much better than Soo feed.

Thanks for your feedback! Based on your review, I'll likely watch tonight via the live stream.

Is it an in-house production, or the local cable company feed?

the dog

May 16, 2014
some local kids for wed under 18 priority draft..Caleb Wood...Noah Boman...Braden Caruso...Nolan Ford...Garrett Boyonoski...Nik Gaudreau...Parker Morgan

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
We are done. Sorry, but Owen Sound is the better team and they have all the momentum. I expect this to be over in 6. Sorry but thats the way I see it. I was cautiously optimistic after game 2 but I knew it wasn't over yet. We can't cash on on the PP and stupid penalties by mlMacyntire and Katchouk killed us tonight. I'll be at the essar on Friday but I expect us to lose the rest of the way. The way I see it

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Boy oh boy - where have Speers and Senyshen gone?

Lack of cashing in on the power play.

Need to increase shots on goal.

Need to stay discipline.

All the above killed us the 2 games in Owen Sound.

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
These 2 teams are so close it's hard to tell them apart.

The Katchouk penalty was the difference in this game if not for that this game could have went forever.

I see this series going to 7 games and you can flip a coin.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
We are done. Sorry, but Owen Sound is the better team and they have all the momentum. I expect this to be over in 6. Sorry but thats the way I see it. I was cautiously optimistic after game 2 but I knew it wasn't over yet. We can't cash on on the PP and stupid penalties by mlMacyntire and Katchouk killed us tonight. I'll be at the essar on Friday but I expect us to lose the rest of the way. The way I see it

The small ice surface and Owen Sound's ability to match up at home ate huge disadvantages for us. We aren't able to use our superior speed and depth as well on the road.

The Hounds are still confident and in the driver's seat due to home ice advantage. You are a fool to write them off at this point in my opinion. I'd be ashamed to call myself a Hounds fan if I felt like you did. Do us all a favour and don't go to the game.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The small ice surface ????????????

Fake measurement.

Jd MacArthur Arena is 85' wide x 200' long.

Essar Centre is 85' wide x 200 ' long.

Best two games, if it gets to 7, there's no home ice advantage.

Raaymakers looked ordinary in the last two games, McNiven is getting better as the series progresses.
The Attack special teams are clicking now.

The way McGill mixes his lines, last change means little to him.

This series is going the distance. Whoever works hardest is coming out the other end. Battered and bruised, but moving on.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Fake measurement.

Jd MacArthur Arena is 85' wide x 200' long.

Essar Centre is 85' wide x 200 ' long.

Best two games, if it gets to 7, there's no home ice advantage.

Raaymakers looked ordinary in the last two games, McNiven is getting better as the series progresses.
The Attack special teams are clicking now.

The way McGill mixes his lines, last change means little to him.

This series is going the distance. Whoever works hardest is coming out the other end. Battered and bruised, but moving on.

It appears that our local newspaper made a mistake if that is indeed the case with the ice.

It is obvious that last change is incredibly important to Owen Sound though. This is always the case when a top heavy team faces some excellent defenders. McGill was desperate to get his top 2 lines away from White and Timmins, who shut them down so well in the first 2 games. I give him credit for it, as smart coaches use last change to their advantage.

As for the goalies, neither one has been a factor just yet. Raaymakers just about stole game 4, but the better team has won all 4 games. If you think that there is some sort of advantage because of 'goalie momentum' then I don't agree.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with home ice advantage. There's a good chance that it may decide the outcome of the series.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
It appears that our local newspaper made a mistake if that is indeed the case with the ice.

It is obvious that last change is incredibly important to Owen Sound though. This is always the case when a top heavy team faces some excellent defenders. McGill was desperate to get his top 2 lines away from White and Timmins, who shut them down so well in the first 2 games. I give him credit for it, as smart coaches use last change to their advantage.

As for the goalies, neither one has been a factor just yet. Raaymakers just about stole game 4, but the better team has won all 4 games. If you think that there is some sort of advantage because of 'goalie momentum' then I don't agree.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with home ice advantage. There's a good chance that it may decide the outcome of the series.

This urban legend about the small ice surface has been going on since the Platers. In 2011, the ice crew even posted a YouTube measuring the ice surface with a tape measure
Yet players and coaches still refer to the smaller d-zones, the difficulty moving the puck in the small confines, etc.

Now, I've seen a fair number of players hit the scoreclock with dump outs , but I assure you the ice surface is regulation size. The roof is low, and the building was very loud the last two games. There were times when I couldn't hear the refs whistles.

As far as line matching, McGill is not adverse to splitting up his lines to avoid line matching. He's done it all year, I've seen it in this series too.

Both teams have two wins, both have scored have scored 9 goals, not counting the empty netters.

The series is too close to call, and has been everything it as hyped to be. Quality of officials notwithstanding.

So far worth every penny.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

I'm really getting sick of hearing how Owen Sound has a smaller ice surface just because it has relatively small seating. As far as I know the game is played on the ice, not in the stands.

Uncle B

Dec 28, 2015
The ice surface isn't smaller. The stands are smaller. The ice is definitely not maintained as well as other arenas in the OHL.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
palmu, suzucki, gadjovich, sypula, hancock, centarome,mCniven, vs
speers, senyshen, katchoek, frost, McIntyre, white, raaymakers

that is what the series will come down to. So far owen sounds best players have been better than the soo's best players on home ice and vice versa. It will hurt the hounds that they will loose McIntyre for the next 2 games. Weather Bannister wants to admit it or not he will be sorely missed. He is a key penalty killer and plus he drives a lot of there offense as well. Plus being an overage and experience on the ice will hurt them.
He does play a lot of minutes which will have to be taken up by someone else and I hope that someone else isn't Gettinger or Mackinon because that is a downgrade. 2 Players that play very soft and that will hurt the hounds as games get tougher. The hounds need a must win on home ice on Friday or this series will be done in six games in favour of owen sound. The hounds need to play the best game of the year on home ice on Friday for them to have a chance to win this series, if it goes seven games at least they will get McIntyre back for that game.

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015

Fischhaber was perhaps a tad bit too harsh in labelling you a “fool†for writing the Hounds off at this point in time. Like myself, you were perhaps just optimistic that the dominant performance we saw here in the Soo would carry over to Owen Sound. I was hopeful for a least one win down there.

Here’s the Good News: the Hounds have NOT lost three games in a row all season long. Our longest losing streak was two games – back to back losses at home on October 8 and 9, 2016 (only one other team – the London Knights - matched that record of success this past season). Even the mighty (i.e. annoying) Erie Otters lost three games in a row at one point.

Comments have been made in this forum about the lack of production from Senyshyn and Speers in this series. Those concerns are certainly legit. Senyshyn has now gone 4 games without scoring a goal. He had similar droughts during the regular season and always managed to go on a goal scoring streak subsequently. Speers meanwhile has not scored since game one of the Flint series. Yikes! Even the much maligned Gustav Bouramman has two goals in the playoffs. In fact, in his last 19 games going back to February 24, Speers has only scored three goals. Double yikes! One wonders what’s up with him.

Prediction: Based on nothing more than the fact I am a hopeless optimist, I think Friday’s game will see both young gentlemen end their scoring droughts and the Hounds walk away with a win. If only the home team wins all the games in this series, I’d be happy…

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
The ice was terrible this week. Like a slushy big gulp.

Well if you wanted to slow down a speedy team wouldn't you "want" slushy slow ice? I'm NOT going to turn this into hockey's version of Deflate Gate....call it ICEGATE? LOL

It's well known that MLB and NFL groundkeepers have, for years adjusted how high they cut the grass to better suit their team and hopefully hinder the other. The longer the grass the slower the player or ball will travel on it. So if it was me and turning up the ice plant temperature by even one degree would make the ice even a tiny bit slushier......then?

Like i said it's no excuse as both teams had to play on the same ice and i'm not sure what the temperature's have been around the Owen Sound area this past week...but i'm sure the Attack loved the sight of some Hound players have difficulty controlling the puck or having it bounce like crazy?

Food for thought is all! :D

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
2017 Under 18 Priority Selection Hounds picks

1) Boman, Noah C 5.08.75 171 08/15/2000 Soo Midget Greyhounds

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=313222

2) Scott, Owen LD 6.03.5 188 11/16/2000 Kemptville 73s Midget AAA OEMHL

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=300772

3) Nelson, Pierce G 5.11 163 12/15/2000 Quinte Red Devils Midget AAA

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=416731