Sony PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ps5: Slide out the cover, unscrewing the screw with a screwdriver, putting the screw back and covering it with a tiny plastic piece hidden behind the cover to cover the screw, slide the cover back. Hook the stand into the side until it snaps in.

Xbox: turn it sideways.

I hear there's already memes made out of this. :laugh:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Ps5: Slide out the cover, unscrewing the screw with a screwdriver, putting the screw back and covering it with a tiny plastic piece hidden behind the cover to cover the screw, slide the cover back. Hook the stand into the side until it snaps in.

You had to pay for the stand for a PS4 separately, removing one screw is really not a hardship, what did it take the guy in the video? 90 seconds?

Reactions: Khelandros

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's most definitely not difficult for me, I can figure it out, gaming monitors use a similar mechanism for connecting their stand (only with a hand turning thumbscrew instead of needing a screwdriver).

The issue for me is that 1) other people might have a hard time figuring this out and 2) it should probably be oriented sideways by default, it's way too tall not to block viewing on a lot of people's tv stands, either from the side or directly in front.

I'm wondering if the stand is completely detached out of the box. That would save a lot of confusion and let people decide off the bat how they want it

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
You really think those are going to be cheap?
They aren't, but an m.2 SSD is far more likely to be discounted than a proprietary memory card. There aren't any approved drives yet anyways.

However, I tend to think it's smarter to just buy a 4 TB external hard drive and just offload games you aren't playing currently. Hopefully the big publishers, especially Activision regain some sanity and reduce the 200 GB file sizes.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
You really think those are going to be cheap?

Not what I said, but okay.

They likely will decrease in price over time more than the proprietary memory cards the XBOX uses. Much like the XBOX 360 HDDs were huge ripoffs compared to a standard PC HDD by the end of the consoles life.

And since it's not proprietary you can always reuse it later on a PC if you ever stop needing it. The XBOX memory cards will be useless when you're done with the console.

It also gives you more options. What ever sizes of proprietary drives they decide to release will be what you get to choose from. With the PS5 you'll likely have far more options than what MS decides you can have.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's most definitely not difficult for me, I can figure it out, gaming monitors use a similar mechanism for connecting their stand (only with a hand turning thumbscrew instead of needing a screwdriver).

The issue for me is that 1) other people might have a hard time figuring this out and 2) it should probably be oriented sideways by default, it's way too tall not to block viewing on a lot of people's tv stands, either from the side or directly in front.

I'm wondering if the stand is completely detached out of the box. That would save a lot of confusion and let people decide off the bat how they want it

Seems like it was a complete afterthought.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Not what I said, but okay.

They likely will decrease in price over time more than the proprietary memory cards the XBOX uses. Much like the XBOX 360 HDDs were huge ripoffs compared to a standard PC HDD by the end of the consoles life.

And since it's not proprietary you can always reuse it later on a PC if you ever stop needing it. The XBOX memory cards will be useless when you're done with the console.

It also gives you more options. What ever sizes of proprietary drives they decide to release will be what you get to choose from. With the PS5 you'll likely have far more options than what MS decides you can have.

Silly question but why wouldn't Xbox users just keep going with their external hard drives.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Silly question but why wouldn't Xbox users just keep going with their external hard drives.

You mean why wouldn't they use an external HDD instead of the memory card? You have to use the memory card to play the next gen games, you can only use the HDD to store those games so that you can transfer them to the SSD or memory card when you want to play them, or to play XBOX One games.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Like I said, if unscrewing a bolt and snapping a stand in place is hard for you, then let me tell you about this thing called life. It's totally gonna screw you up.

Reactions: Beau Knows

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You mean why wouldn't they use an external HDD instead of the memory card? You have to use the memory card to play the next gen games, you can only use the HDD to store those games so that you can transfer them to the SSD or memory card when you want to play them, or to play XBOX One games.

I missed this somewhere and that's really annoying. A bit of another reason not to upgrade right now.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I missed this somewhere and that's really annoying. A bit of another reason not to upgrade right now.

I think it's a good design choice, but it does increase the cost of playing on these systems. Requiring faster storage will allow developers to do cool stuff (see the new Ratchet and Clank for an example of what can be done) knowing that every player will have capable storage. But I much prefer Sony's approach of using existing standard technology.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Like I said, if unscrewing a bolt and snapping a stand in place is hard for you, then let me tell you about this thing called life. It's totally gonna screw you up.

Considering we're on a site where several posters seem to be incapable of using Google and instead ask about the most simplest of things here, not sure if this is irony.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

On Series X it takes about 10 minutes to transfer a 50ish GB game between a USB external HDD and internal SSD. Pretty much everyone of my gaming friends intends to keep their external HDDs that their using currently with the One Xs, to use with the Series X instead of buying a SSD memory card.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I think it's a good design choice, but it does increase the cost of playing on these systems. Requiring faster storage will allow developers to do cool stuff (see the new Ratchet and Clank for an example of what can be done) knowing that every player will have capable storage. But I much prefer Sony's approach of using existing standard technology.

I mean essentially I only get the 800GB or whatever to play games I'm already playing. The expansion is more than 50% the cost of the new console but I'm sure it will come down. I guess my question is can you play previous Xbox games off the external or do you have to play the transfer back and forth game with all of them. I think I'm confused which games I own will become next-gen and require only to be on the Series X to play directly.

I'm sure the cost of the expansion will come down over time but right now it seems really overpriced.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I mean essentially I only get the 800GB or whatever to play games I'm already playing. The expansion is more than 50% the cost of the new console but I'm sure it will come down. I guess my question is can you play previous Xbox games off the external or do you have to play the transfer back and forth game with all of them.

I'm sure the cost of the expansion will come down over time but right now it seems really overpriced.

Well that's one of the reasons I think Sony choosing the standard M.2 slot will pay off. It will come down in price over the years, proprietary storage is less likely to come down in price as much.

Yeah you can play XBOX One games off an external HDD because they don't require the SSD speed to play.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I mean essentially I only get the 800GB or whatever to play games I'm already playing. The expansion is more than 50% the cost of the new console but I'm sure it will come down. I guess my question is can you play previous Xbox games off the external or do you have to play the transfer back and forth game with all of them. I think I'm confused which games I own will become next-gen and require only to be on the Series X to play directly.

Yes, current and previous gen games will work off the USB external.

Last edited:
Reactions: chicagoskycam

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well that's one of the reasons I think Sony choosing the standard M.2 slot will pay off. It will come down in price over the years, proprietary storage is less likely to come down in price as much.

Yeah you can play XBOX One games off an external HDD because they don't require the SSD speed to play.

Considering how new the tech is, you're looking at several years before the prices come down.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Microsoft has also said there would likely be 3rd party ssd's that would work too once everything gets going

It's already 3rd party, the one they've announced is made by Seagate. They did say more manufacturers will produce them, but even if that's true there will still be far less competition than there is in the standard M.2 format.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Just got an email from Amazon Canada that they might miss the delivery promise for the PS5 orders. Keyword being "might". I know Amazon America got the same email a few weeks back. Seems more like a mandatory email to cover their butts in case they can't get every order out on time. Guess we'll see. It's no biggie. I know it's a holiday the day before launch so it would make even more sense now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad