Sony PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This has the makings of an unnecessary day 1 purchase that will collect dust for a while. :laugh:

Looking forward to it though. Love me some new tech!

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I'll have to see what PS5 games will actually be available when it releases before I make any decision.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I got kinda sucked in by the “free” PS Plus games at the PS4 launch. Doubt I’ll cave a second time.

Though if the devs can upgrade PSVR games to take advantage of the higher horsepower of the PS5, I’ll probably think about saving up.

It’s nice that Nintendo finally has a popular, supported console to go up against the new gen. At least I’ll have something to play while scalpers have their fun this winter.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't see much reason to buy early on either console this time. It always seems to be a couple years before there are enough games utilizing the upgraded performance, especially if you already own the most recent version. If your console is on it's last legs or you are a couple of versions off it makes sense.

Reactions: Roman Fell

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Sent my email to be notified when it’s available for preorder. My PS4 is on its last legs. Got it at launch, and the disk drive hasn’t worked in years, and it sounds like a jet engine when it’s trying to render more detailed games. With backwards compatibility, I don’t really care about there being enough launch titles. I would love one to really sink my teeth into though.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I do wonder how these consoles will do when they release.

If unemployment doesn't get better (at least for the US), i doubt anyone will be willing to dish out $500 for a gaming console.

I am wondering if it just might be better to delay the release dates of both consoles until there is at least some amount of normalcy in this world.

It is going to take some time to get the economy back up and running and if their is going to be a second wave in the fall, i really could see these consoles selling poorly.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

If I remember right, this guy used to work with Sony 10 years ago and is pretty much just an Xbox person now. And apparently a very open Xbox fanboy type of person (downplay everyone else to make your platform look good type of guy).

Also, what proof is there that it can't? Is he developing for it at the moment or just talking out his ass?

Funny, the Youtube channel who put up that podcast is banned on another site.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
If I remember right, this guy used to work with Sony 10 years ago and is pretty much just an Xbox person now. And apparently a very open Xbox fanboy type of person (downplay everyone else to make your platform look good type of guy).

Also, what proof is there that it can't? Is he developing for it at the moment or just talking out his ass?

Funny, the Youtube channel who put up that podcast is banned on another site.

While I would always recommend taking this stuff with a huge grain of salt, I don't expect his comments to be entirely incorrect.

RTRT is a tough ask of any hardware, so I expect the implementation to be limited regardless of platform.

I expect big, open world games designed for multi-platform rather than specifically within Sony's realm to not hit their 4K "up to 120Hz" benchmark.

I could, of course, be entirely wrong.

To be fair, I'm the type who would be happy with 1080p 60 FPS, upscaling or no. :laugh:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
While I would always recommend taking this stuff with a huge grain of salt, I don't expect his comments to be entirely incorrect.

RTRT is a tough ask of any hardware, so I expect the implementation to be limited regardless of platform.

I expect big, open world games designed for multi-platform rather than specifically within Sony's realm to not hit their 4K "up to 120Hz" benchmark.

I could, of course, be entirely wrong.

To be fair, I'm the type who would be happy with 1080p 60 FPS, upscaling or no. :laugh:

I can pretty much tell you that this hardware will not allow normal AAA games to reach 4K and 120Hz without some serious sacrifice to the quality of the image. Even an RTX 2080 Ti at 4K and max details for Doom Eternal doesn't even hit 120FPS.

Also, wasn't it that Xbox was the only one to promise 4K and 120hz?

Another thing, even though the PS5's TFLOPS (if you're going by that) is slightly under what the Xbox is (less than 2 TFLOPS difference), what immediately makes it "incapable" of doing real time ray tracing? An RTX 2060 is significantly weaker than either console (in terms of TFLOPS) and can do real time ray tracing.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I can pretty much tell you that this hardware will not allow normal AAA games to reach 4K and 120Hz without some serious sacrifice to the quality of the image. Even an RTX 2080 Ti at 4K and max details for Doom Eternal doesn't even hit 120FPS.

Another thing, even though the PS5's TFLOPS (if you're going by that) is slightly under what the Xbox is (less than 2 TFLOPS difference), what immediately makes it "incapable" of doing real time ray tracing? An RTX 2060 is significantly weaker than either console (in terms of TFLOPS) and can do real time ray tracing.
It prob can but game developers will ALWAYS choose visuals over framerate. They will make the game as pretty as possible and the framerate will suffer because of it just like its always been.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

No, I imagine the "up to 120Hz" might only be relevant for specific titles, and I expect at least some sort of scaling trickery. Native 4K is hard.

Not that scaling trickery is bad, by any means....although quality can vary greatly.

I believe Jim Ryan at Sony mentioned it awhile back, but to be fair to marketing, there is a key difference between 120Hz and 120FPS,..they could be running at 60 but smoothed to look like 120, like a lot of TVs do. Either way, 4K 60 would be fantastic.

Personally, I would love to see the PS5 support 1440p signals, but I'm probably in the minority. I sometimes like to hook my consoles up to my desk, either while someone else is using the TV (much more relevant in the current social distancing world) or just while I want to play something while watching something else on my PC.

I find 1440p the best resolution for desk-distance viewing purposes (at least on anything 27''-32'', with 1080p probably best for the 20-25'' range), but alas, the PS4 looks terrible on it.

Again, I'm probably in the minority. I know most people use 1080p or 4K TVs for consoles, and 1440p scaling isn't a great match.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad