Sony PS4 #9: Your Exclusive Home for Exclusives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Ugh son of a ***** I told myself not to get anything else this year but I R E A L L Y want to play Dishonored 2 and then there is still FFXV at the end of this month :cry:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Interesting that the Ps4 pro does not perform better in base mode. It has the exact same fps dips in the same spots a regular Ps4 does. I don't even know how or why they would do that.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think it's because it runs the system at the same exact speeds as the original when in base mode. I do wish it would make it run faster, but then it may cause instability, mainly because it's specifically designed/released for one type of system.

Or at least that's how I see it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah from what I understand, it doesn't even use the second GPU in games that don't have an optimized mode for it.

It's unfortunate, even if it would only have meant a more consistent frame rate...but understandable, given how it's set up.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Wait for review for Dishonored 2. No review copies before release by Bethesda can **** right off.

I caved and pre-ordered it through Amazon. Looks like I may actually be getting in on Thursday instead of Friday?! :yo:

I couldn't help it. I absolutely loved Dishonored and I really REALLY want Dishonored 2 ASAP. If it sucks then it's my own fault for wasting so much money. Here's to hoping that it's just as good, if not better, than the 1st game!

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah from what I understand, it doesn't even use the second GPU in games that don't have an optimized mode for it.

It's unfortunate, even if it would only have meant a more consistent frame rate...but understandable, given how it's set up.

Is it a dual gpu? Thats the first I've heard of that. I guess it must be for that to be the case. It just seems strange because the gpu is supposedly a 2.3x power increase over the regular ps4. You'd think it'd just be an even 2 if thats how it worked.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Is it a dual gpu? Thats the first I've heard of that. I guess it must be for that to be the case. It just seems strange because the gpu is supposedly a 2.3x power increase over the regular ps4. You'd think it'd just be an even 2 if thats how it worked.

I think it was a fairly recent reveal from the architect. Most people assumed it was just one more powerful one.

The extra .3 might be accredited to the rumour that it was using AMD's newest Polaris architecture, which could account for a performance boost...although that is being called into question.

2x power would also still be only theoretical, as in dual GPU setups, the second GPU is never utilized to full potential (you typically see about a 40-50% boost on PC - when optimized).

However, all of this depends on implementation, so the true test will be how games perform going forward. I'll be very interested in that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Interesting that the Ps4 pro does not perform better in base mode. It has the exact same fps dips in the same spots a regular Ps4 does. I don't even know how or why they would do that.

Games require patches to take advantage.

It's why I'm waiting on getting one, probably around a year.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Found out why my original Dualshock 4 was ****ed up. The R2 trigger was not resetting properly and it was all in and there... but I opened it up again and noticed that the plastic bar that snaps the trigger into place broke off. Ordered new triggers to fix it. Hopefully it'll be 100% again.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Found out why my original Dualshock 4 was ****ed up. The R2 trigger was not resetting properly and it was all in and there... but I opened it up again and noticed that the plastic bar that snaps the trigger into place broke off. Ordered new triggers to fix it. Hopefully it'll be 100% again.

I tried doing the thing before except the triggers I got were a tad bit bigger than the original so I couldn't snap the controller back together.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Ah yes, the classic trigger collapse. I think that's what most people refer to when they talk about quality control issues on the DS4s.

Transferring all my data right now to my PS4 Pro :).

I'm super intrigued by it. I admit, I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to performance, but I've been waiting for a performance upgrade since...well, shortly after release.

Any opinions and observations you have would be great! You'd be doing me a .... "Solid" :D

....I'll show myself out....

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I'm seeing reports of certain games running better on the original PS4 than on the PS4 Pro.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm seeing reports of certain games running better on the original PS4 than on the PS4 Pro.

Not surprising.

It is going to take some time for the wrinkles to get ironed out.

Getting the Pro day 1 always struck me as not a great idea: I'm a PC (and Nintendo) gamer these days so I'm used to waiting and benefiting from better stability.

Welcome to the world of incremental upgrades!

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Very disappointing that sony would not rule out charging money for patches.

The nickel and diming of customers on console continues.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So question for you all. So I have a PS4 with my account as main and my brothers as 2nd. He also has a PS4 with with his account as main and mine secondary. He preordered dishonored 2, and somehow today it predownloaded on my PS4, while his didn't. He went to the store to download it and got the 1st dishonored with it (he was supposed to)

Is this how it works? I never got a game downloaded to my account without clicking download myself and I know 100% sure I didn't preorder it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
?

You have to buy patches?

Yeah, I've never been charged for patches, they just show up...however, the size of some of the patches is annoying though.

Thinking of the Pro, I'd be more interested in it, if it had a UHD BR drive, seems like a bit of waste to promote 4K/HDR, both of which my TV supports, yet not add in one of the main media upgrades, especially coming from Sony.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
?

You have to buy patches?
No, Sony has just said they're not ruling out letting developers charge for their pro patch. Im sure we'll see it eventually
Yeah, I've never been charged for patches, they just show up...however, the size of some of the patches is annoying though.

Thinking of the Pro, I'd be more interested in it, if it had a UHD BR drive, seems like a bit of waste to promote 4K/HDR, both of which my TV supports, yet not add in one of the main media upgrades, especially coming from Sony.

I think it's still worth it for some people. It's obvious Sony is very paranoid about price after the disaster that was the ps3 launch.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
This says that Sony will not allow developers to charge for Pro updates.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/12861310/ps4-pro-4k-hdr-patch-fee

Update: A representative for Sony told Polygon that the company "will not charge consumers for patches." We've asked Sony to clarify whether that applies only to games published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, and will update when we hear back.

Jack Sipich, founder of developer Absinthe Games, said in a NeoGAF post that developers "are not allowed to charge you for patches or [PS4 Pro] feature updates."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad