Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I’m in a video game rut right now. Nothing I play seems to hold my attention for long with the exception of PUBG with friends on PC. Any suggestions(either PS4 or PC)? I typically line games with loot and a good skill tree but I’m open to anything really. Story does not matter to me at all. Grinding doesn’t bother me either. Borderlands 2 is my favorite game ever for reference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Any tips for a brand new player to Persona series? I bought it cheaply and after 1 hour of playing I still don't understand what to do here.
I'm cringing most of the time and hoping the game autosaves before I just have to close it and move on.

As guinness said, it takes a while to get going. The first few hours are pretty much autopilot before it opens up.

Once the game got going, though, I found it amazing.

Like you alluded to, my biggest tip is you'll need good sized time blocks to get through some parts of the game. Save points can be few and far between in story heavy parts of the game.

From my experience, Persona is half life simulation/management and half RPG. If you don't enjoy both aspects, you'll find yourself frustrated with it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Persona 5 is quite simple to navigate; a lot of tutorial tips for the probably the first seven hours of gameplay. Currently I am at around 55 hours of gameplay and still get some tutorials here and there. I would describe Persona as a mixture between Mass Effect dialogue in a ordinary highschool Final Fantasy world with Pokemon gameplay mechanics.

The saving is one aspect of the game which sucks, so don't think it gets any better. But the game was quite easily to get through when I first started out, if you're having problems watch some YouTube gameplay at the particular section, there are many playthrough videos on YT. Additionally, if you dislike or never played a Pokemon game in your life, that makes sense why you're having a hard time. Over the course of the game, you come to understand what aspects are weak against what monsters and what do damage. As well as, there are SO MANY helpful guides about the game on the internet which are spoiler free. There was one time which I got really frustrated on during the first palace that I decided to google tips and found a lot of advice to get through the game. Now the current palace I am on is still challenging at times, but is also very satisfying at the same time. The game gets a lot easier when you get money and more Persona masks.

E: As Commander Clueless said above, there are some points in the game where you can go multiple days (in the game) before being allowed to save. Just last week, I wanted to save the game after I completed one of the palaces and had to play another fifteen minutes longer because of cut scenes and important storyline dialogue you don't really want to skip through. Uggghhhhh...

I actually have a question for you guys here, I am currently on the Egyptian Palace so how many more Palaces are there in the storyline?

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
For the MMORPG guys, big PC MMORPG Tera will be having their console beta starting 9:00AM this Friday till Monday. Early views stated they have done a very good job with the conversion, with Tera's action play fitting in well with the console controllers.

http://tera.enmasse.com/

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
About the title of the thread. I have to say in hindsight that Ellen Page nude character model fiasco has much more sinister undertones now. I think it's safe to assume they were doing all kinds of seedy things, why else model something not even in the game? Then there's articles about David cages obsession with Ellen Page and it removes all doubt for me.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I started playing my PS4 again by purchasing and downloading the remake of "Secret of Mana." I don't get why people are hating the Square-Enix property. I enjoy it (although I need two other players to help with the magic casting. )

I enjoyed the remake, but it felt really easy to me, to an extent I didn't feel with the original version.

Jovavic said:
I got Cure Water on L1 and Fireball on R1. Going to the pure lands, I dislike how they've made the bosses complete pushovers

I think that was the "compromise" for taking out the spell spamming you could do in the original to completely freeze the bosses until they were dead.

As for the Persona 5 saving issue, I never had that problem outside of dungeons. You can save in your room any time you have control there, which even during story intensive parts is pretty common IIRC. The only time I really remember being annoyed was when I was in the middle of a block of floors in Mementos and starting to doze off in real life. I think I just went back a couple of floors and saved in that case though.

Last edited:

void

Jan 5, 2006
About the title of the thread. I have to say in hindsight that Ellen Page nude character model fiasco has much more sinister undertones now. I think it's safe to assume they were doing all kinds of seedy things, why else model something not even in the game? Then there's articles about David cages obsession with Ellen Page and it removes all doubt for me.

Wait, what? :laugh::help:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I’m in a video game rut right now. Nothing I play seems to hold my attention for long with the exception of PUBG with friends on PC. Any suggestions(either PS4 or PC)? I typically line games with loot and a good skill tree but I’m open to anything really. Story does not matter to me at all. Grinding doesn’t bother me either. Borderlands 2 is my favorite game ever for reference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MLB the show comes out on the 23rd

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Got Bloodborne for free. It's my first Souls game. Holy shit they weren't kidding around about those games.

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yeah like he was so obsessed with her he sought out photos of her from when she was a kid.

https://kotaku.com/the-video-game-that-began-with-pictures-of-ellen-page-1440500148

But David Cage is afraid. He’s afraid because he has spent the last 12 months looking at pictures of Ellen Page. In his studio a 2000 page script lies scattered with images of Ellen from the age of eight through to adulthood.
Funny, I've been rewatching the Zero Punctuation videos and saw Beyond: Two Souls' the other day:

I might have to get it when it's on sale on the PS4 and actually play it now.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Got Bloodborne for free. It's my first Souls game. Holy **** they weren't kidding around about those games.

It was my first too. Stick with it. It's a damned good game. I'd argue it's easier than a pure souls game, as I've finished it and DS3 made me rage quit.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I've been intrigued by Moonlighter for a little while now.

Anybody have any idea of it's PS4 release? Only info I can find says Q1 of 2018...

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Got Bloodborne for free. It's my first Souls game. Holy **** they weren't kidding around about those games.
You have to get the formula down. 1st tip, if you've got anything but the saw cleaver or saw spear ditch it. Both those weapons have a hidden 20% damage bonus against beasts (the majority of enemies in the game) and do way more damage overall despite less per hit. Should be enough upgrade materials for two or three weapons in your first playthrough but focus all your upgrades (and upgrade gems) on one of those.

And this second one applies to all souls games, just run past enemies if you've already been through an area. Enemies are, outside of dogs, are really bad at chasing you.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Haven't touched my PS4 in months now since building a PC. God of War will probably be the next game I play on it, and then KH3.
I actually barely game on my pc since I got a 1080, it's a blower model and runs way too loud and hot, trying to sort it out.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You have to get the formula down. 1st tip, if you've got anything but the saw cleaver or saw spear ditch it. Both those weapons have a hidden 20% damage bonus against beasts (the majority of enemies in the game) and do way more damage overall despite less per hit. Should be enough upgrade materials for two or three weapons in your first playthrough but focus all your upgrades (and upgrade gems) on one of those.

And this second one applies to all souls games, just run past enemies if you've already been through an area. Enemies are, outside of dogs, are really bad at chasing you.

I have the axe that can be a little axe or a big axe. How do I ditch it for the saw one? Do I have to start over?
Also, is there a best origin (milquetoast vs. military veteran, etc)? I went with military veteran because it had the most points in strength and HP.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I have the axe that can be a little axe or a big axe. How do I ditch it for the saw one? Do I have to start over?
Also, is there a best origin (milquetoast vs. military veteran, etc)? I went with military veteran because it had the most points in strength and HP.
You don't need to restart. There's an item past the large sewer pig (you can just run past him you don't need to kill him, though he isn't hard) that lets you buy all the starting items in the hunters dream.

The origin really doesn't matter, my only recommendation is do not level bloodtinge or arcane. Spells and guns do veeery little damage in this game. They don't have much use imo. Health, stamina, strength and skill are all you need. You don't even need stamina that bad if you use the saw weapons since they use up barely anything.

Also, learn how to parry and riposte. The first 2 out of 3 bosses become embarassingly easy if you do. Parrying, unlike other souls games is very easy here with very little risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad