Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Uggghhhh, the few stills we have look terrible. The actors look like plastic, cartoony dolls.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Since the release date wasn't moved any, I wonder if the original trailer release was called off because a high-ranking exec wasn't happy with how it turned out. A couple of weeks sounds to me like enough time to edit together a new trailer (or several, to have options) and then make sure that everyone is happy with it. If so, I wonder if they're just being careful because they're nervous or if it's hard to make the film come across well in trailers because it's not very good to begin with.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Of course they're nervous after the divisiveness of TLJ and given all the production issues this one had. I also think they wanted to give TLJ some breathing room. The casual audience would probably be confused if they dropped a Solo trailer just weeks after TLJ came out. Hell, I know people that were confused when Rogue One came out a full year after TFA.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I meant that I wonder if the delay was just because of nervousness or whether it was also because the film doesn't look particularly good. Your speculation about audience confusion because TLJ just came out is also a good theory. Also, they might've decided to release it after the Super Bowl and State of the Union, so that it might get a little more free publicity. Then again, everyone will be talking about the Super Bowl results and the commercials on Monday, probably not a Star Wars trailer, and then you have pre-Olympics hype that'll probably start at the same time, so that could actually be even worse placement.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The trailers/commercials are always talk in aftermath of SB no matter how great or bad game turns out so I doubt very much that is issue

Also this is Winter Olympics which are far less popular compared to Summer Games so very unlikely it or anything else gets lost amid them

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Trailers and commercials that run during the Super Bowl are all of the talk around the water cooler the day after, yeah, but a trailer being debuted on GMA Monday morning is a lot different. It's not just because only a small fraction of the people watching the Super Bowl will watch ABC's morning show, but also because even those that do are very likely to miss it, anyways. Most people are getting ready in the morning, especially during commercial breaks (which they don't stop what they're doing to pay attention to, like they do during the Super Bowl), and then leave the house at around 7:30, only half an hour into GMA. That's liable to add up to few people having seen it by the time that they get to work. Having everyone talk about the Super Bowl and its commercials might spark conversation about the Star Wars trailer, so that'll help, but it won't be like if the trailer ran during the Super Bowl.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one who greatly prefers the Winter Olympics /shrug.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
YT and Twitter (Or other social media) IMO are far more important vehicles for trailers at this point then SB or GMA

People who miss out will likely see it pop up on timeline of their social media and watch or will find it after news comes out of its release via YT or other means

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
YT and Twitter (Or other social media) IMO are far more important vehicles for trailers at this point then SB or GMA

People who miss out will likely see it pop up on timeline of their social media and watch or will find it after news comes out of its release via YT or other means

I don't agree when it comes to the Super Bowl. Close to half of the US population will be watching that, including a lot of people who aren't avid social media users (whereas, in contrast, most avid social media users will likely be watching the #1 social event in the calendar). It's also a captive audience that not only sort of has to watch the commercials (since it's live), but actually looks forward to and watches them. That's probably close to 100M people who would see the trailer, whereas the number of people who would have it pop up on their social media feeds and click to view it sometime that day is likely to be only a tiny fraction of that.

We agree that YouTube and Twitter are much more important vehicles than GMA, though, which kind of illustrates the point that GMA isn't a significant vehicle (relatively).

Regardless, keep in mind that YouTube and Twitter would distribute the trailer regardless of where it premieres. That doesn't end the debate over where and when is best to premiere it. Every extra bit helps.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The visuals at least looked good. Still not very hopeful about the portrayal of a young Han Solo, though. Still think it's odd that they're not releasing this in December. Feels way too soon from TLJ for a new Star Wars flick to come out, and I loved TLJ. I'll still be buying a ticket though, of course.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm surprised by the serious tone of the trailer. I though it would be more lighthearted.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Seems like they made a conscious effort not to show too much of ‎Alden Ehrenreich.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm surprised by the serious tone of the trailer. I though it would be more lighthearted.

That's Ron Howard for you. This is the man who turned a cartoon (How the Grinch Stole Christmas) into something that terrified little children and creeped out a fair number of adults. He's one of my favorite directors, but one can see why Disney turned to him to rescue a film that they didn't want to be a comedy.

Seems like they made a conscious effort not to show too much of ‎Alden Ehrenreich.

Yeah, I think that they want to build hype first, understandably, so that people don't say to themselves, right off of the bat, "that's not Han Solo," and decide that they're not interested.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Interesting. Looks like they drew on the EU backstory of Han Solo joining the Empire before he became a smuggler. I like that. Ehrenreich seems to have got the voice matched pretty well too.

Still really skeptical and I believe it’ll be bad until proven otherwise, but the teaser has me more optimistic than previously.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Interesting. Looks like they drew on the EU backstory of Han Solo joining the Empire before he became a smuggler. I like that. Ehrenreich seems to have got the voice matched pretty well too.

Still really skeptical and I believe it’ll be bad until proven otherwise, but the teaser has me more optimistic than previously.

I may be wrong but I believe the official novelization of the OT mentions his Imperial background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad